Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Topaz27]

The OP has no question to debate. You obviously know that Christians believe in a literal, world wide flood.

I am a Christian (I believe in the resurrection of Jesus and his Lordship); I do not believe Genesis 6 is to be taken as history: comparing it with the writing style of Kings or Chronicles, the genre is clearly different.

Topaz27
Student

Post #3

Post by Topaz27 »

Well the OP was just to talk to someone who actually believes in the flood. Of course I know some Christians believe in a world flood, and Noah's Ark. I wanted to talk to people who do believe those things.

You bring up a great point in the writing styles, but isn't that expected? Obviously the whole Bible wasn't written by one person, that's basically the whole point of the Gospel. I don't think that just because it's written differently, it automatically makes it incorrect.

I am wondering why you don't believe in the flood/ark story. Do you believe the rest of Genesis to be true? And if that part of the Bible is false, can't other parts of the Bible be false as well.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 3 by Topaz27]

Yes, I believe the account of the flood of Noah' s days. What would you like to ask?

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Topaz27]

It's not a question of belief, it's a question of interpretation!

Thus, a truthful account of Noah's Ark is such, being a metaphor, that the World was flooded to kill all sinful beings and that God's Ark by Noah was built to carry God's good beings, people and animals alike to a new World after The Flood where these could start to live and build for a more perfect future. See also ancient Iraqi poetry.

Remember that the Bible also cites Jesus to declare he's a door. It does not mean he's an actual, inanimate object of a door! You get it? :)

If you want to, see my project for The Scientific Bible 2.0 as commentary in light of exactly ancient Iraqi poetry on Blogspot dot com: https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.com/2 ... sophy.html.

:study: :D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

[Replying to post 5 by Aetixintro]

So what do you believe it is a metaphor of?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Aetixintro]

So what do you believe it is a metaphor of?
My question as well.

If the story is just a metaphor, then there was no person named Noah who actually built the ark. So who was Noah supposed to metaphorically represent? All innocent people, along with their children and in-laws?

Let's assume an innocent person is reading this story as a metaphor. What are they supposed to take away from this story? That God is instructing them to build this huge ark?

@Aetixintro,

If the ark itself is a metaphor then please describe what this ark is supposed to be representing and justify your analogy with text from the story.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Topaz27
Student

Post #8

Post by Topaz27 »

Thank you all for replying.

Jehovah's Witness: There are a lot of the things that don't make sense about the story of Noah's Ark to me. For example the amount of water need to create a world flood, would be about 3.3 times the amount of water that we have on Earth. This includes, lakes, rivers, glacial shelves, bottled water etc. How did that water get there and then disappear after?

Then the part that I never hear people talk about are salt water animals. If the water came from rain, it would heavily dilute the water. Basically making it into fresh water. So how would whales, sharks, sponges, deep sea fish etc. survive?

And I'm sure you also know of many other arguments that people have about the story. Those are just the two that seem the most difficult to explain

Aetixintro: My parents share a very similar belief to you, so I think I understand your point. But does that mean that no story about Noah was real? Are the other parts of Genesis real? Finally, how do we know, which parts of the Bible are only meant to teach, and never really happened?

Thank you for your responses.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by Topaz27]

PREFACE: Ultimately I don't think anyone that holds to a literal global flood does so without pointing out it was a miraculous event the result of the actions of an omnipotent God, for whom nothing is impossible. Thus while not all questions can be answered when it comes to the flood and it would be presumptuous to claim that is the case, there is enough evidence for us to conclude the biblical narrative does indeed describe a real global event.

Topaz27 wrote:
For example the amount of water need to create a world flood, would be about 3.3 times the amount of water that we have on Earth.

WHERE DID THE WATERS COME FROM?

I would seriously question your 3.3 figure, remember the earth we have now may well be topological very different from how it was prior to the flood that said, the bible does indicate the source of the tremendouse amount of water needed to completely envelope the planet.
Where did the water causing the global Flood come from? During the second creative period, or when the earth's atmospheric expanse was formed, there were waters "beneath the expanse" and waters above the expanse. (Genesis 1:6, 7) The waters beneath were those already on earth. The waters above were huge quantities of moisture suspended high above the earth, forming a vast watery deep. These waters fell upon the earth in Noah's day.

Source : https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2004004#h=18
Further reading Mysterious Moisture in the Mesosphere
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2019/06 ... esosphere/

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

WHERE DID THE WATERS GO?

In short, nowhere; to some extent the earth is still "flooded". Seventy percent of it is covered by water and only 30 percent is dry land.
  • Moreover, 75 percent of the earth’s fresh water is locked up in glaciers and polar ice caps. If all this ice were to melt, the sea level would rise much higher. Cities like New York and Tokyo would disappear.
  • The sea basins. Scientists believe that the continents rest on huge plates. Movement of these plates can cause changes in the level of the earth’s surface. In some places today, there are great underwater abysses more than six miles [more than 10 km] deep at the plate boundaries. It is quite likely that—perhaps triggered by the Flood itself—the plates moved, the sea bottom sank, and the great trenches opened, allowing the water to drain off the land.

FURTHER READING HUGE RESERVOIR OF FRESH WATER DISCOVERED HIDDEN DEEP BENEATH THE OCEAN OFF U.S. EAST COAST
https://www.newsweek.com/hidden-reservo ... st-1445500
Extract : If the scientists' estimates are correct, the volume of water locked up could be 670 cubic miles—almost as much water as can be found in Lake Huron (850 cubic miles). It would also make the aquifer the biggest formation of its kind. ...iThe discovery is important as researchers believe similar aquifers may exist across the globe..

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

ARMAGEDDON, KILLING and ... THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.