Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #201

Post by Checkpoint »

[quote="Topaz27"]
[Replying to Donray]

Um yeah it's in the Bible.

Matthew 24:37-39

He obviously believes in Noah's flood...[/quot

Hmm.

How do you know those verses are reliable, and are an accurate and true report of what Jesus said?

Topaz27
Student

Post #202

Post by Topaz27 »

Ok I don't even know if Jesus was a real person, let alone the son of God.

My point is that in the Bible, it states that Jesus thought the flood was real. Not just a story/myth.

If the Bible is incorrect about Jesus believing in the flood, then the Bible's not 100% true.

If Jesus was real. And did actually believe in the flood, and we have evidence to show that the flood didn't happen. Then it sounds like Jesus wasn't actually so wise after all.

I'm just saying that if the flood isn't real, then Jesus was wrong. Which obviously discredits him, he would obviously know if Noah's flood was real or not. He is supposedly the son of God after all.

Tcg
Savant

Post #203

Post by Tcg »

Topaz27 wrote:
My point is that in the Bible, it states that Jesus thought the flood was real.
No, it doesn't. It shows that Jesus used the flood story as a metaphor for the coming of the Son of Man. He never states nor implies that he considers it a literal event.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #204

Post by Checkpoint »

Tcg wrote:
Topaz27 wrote:
My point is that in the Bible, it states that Jesus thought the flood was real.
No, it doesn't. It shows that Jesus used the flood story as a metaphor for the coming of the Son of Man. He never states nor implies that he considers it a literal event.

Tcg
He likewise never states or implies that he considered it a metaphor.

We draw our own conclusions based on who he was/is in our opinion.

Topaz27
Student

Post #205

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to post 204 by Checkpoint]

Exactly, he never states it either way. So who are we to decide what he meant. I think we should do the same with other biblical figures such as Moses or Elijah, and reasonably conclude that Jesus thought these were real people.

Once again I think this discredits Jesus, this is because we have tons of evidence showing that the a world flood doesn't make sense

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #206

Post by Checkpoint »

Topaz27 wrote: [Replying to post 204 by Checkpoint]

Exactly, he never states it either way. So who are we to decide what he meant. I think we should do the same with other biblical figures such as Moses or Elijah, and reasonably conclude that Jesus thought these were real people.

Once again I think this discredits Jesus, this is because we have tons of evidence showing that the a world flood doesn't make sense
That is your opinion; "I think we should".

In my opinion, I think we should take Jesus seriously.

In this case, consider carefully what he is telling us, and act accordingly.
Matthew 24:

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark;
39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left.
41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.

43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.
44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #207

Post by Elijah John »

Topaz27 wrote: If Jesus was real. And did actually believe in the flood, and we have evidence to show that the flood didn't happen. Then it sounds like Jesus wasn't actually so wise after all.
God would know, but a man of his times would most likely believe (what we know now are) the myths of his times.

The fact that Jesus seemed to have believed something which just didn't happen (as described) is evidence that he was not the Omniscient God.

But neither is this proof that Jesus was not wise, nor does it prove that Jesus wasn't knowlegable, for his time and his culture.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #208

Post by onewithhim »

Topaz27 wrote: Yeah I know Jesus believes it, which makes me believe that he isn't the son of God. Because Noah's Ark obviously didn't happen.
"Obviously"? Is there really any definitive proof that it didn't happen? Isn't it better to say that we'll put it on the back burner for now and wait until all things are revealed to us during Jesus' Millennial Reign?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #209

Post by onewithhim »

Topaz27 wrote: Ok I don't even know if Jesus was a real person, let alone the son of God.

My point is that in the Bible, it states that Jesus thought the flood was real. Not just a story/myth.

If the Bible is incorrect about Jesus believing in the flood, then the Bible's not 100% true.

If Jesus was real. And did actually believe in the flood, and we have evidence to show that the flood didn't happen. Then it sounds like Jesus wasn't actually so wise after all.

I'm just saying that if the flood isn't real, then Jesus was wrong. Which obviously discredits him, he would obviously know if Noah's flood was real or not. He is supposedly the son of God after all.
What is the "evidence" that shows that the Flood never happened?

Topaz27
Student

Post #210

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to onewithhim]

Like every field of science that's applicable.
Dendrochronology
Meteorology
Mythology
Anthropology
Geology
Biology
Etc.

You should look up, on YouTube, "How AronRa disproves Noah's flood" he does a way better job then I ever could. The info is easy to digest, and is quite clear. I really recommended it.