Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Topaz27
Student

Post #211

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to post 209 by onewithhim]

Probably one of the best points is that civilizations all around the world seemed to be unaffected by the flood. But rock layers, how every animal would get to the ark, and the fact that there are living things older then the flood, are all solid arguments as well.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #212

Post by onewithhim »

That's fair.

At this point I don't know how to answer those things, but I'm willing to wait until Jesus explains them during his Reign. (Are there really land animals that are many thousands of years old?)

Topaz27
Student

Post #213

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to onewithhim]

Sorry I should've been clear, the things that are that old are trees, sea grass, fungi etc.

Donray
Guru

Post #214

Post by Donray »

I don't understand, there is absolutely no evidence of a world flood. Can anyone that believes in the flood myth please provide a reference to a science book that has all the proof in it. Like what kinds of animals where in the ark and how they evolved and made there way from the ark to the world. It should state how Australia and New Zealand wound up with unique animals.

Of course there should be available a list of college level text books that spell out the proof for the Noah myth.

But, there are no comprehensive text books nor college level text books that cover the proof that Noah is more then a myth created by man and not god.

Come on some that believes and prove me wrong and list all the text books.

Donray
Guru

Post #215

Post by Donray »

Jonah lived in a fish belly for three days. This is another myth that shows the bible is filled with myths.

When did this happen?

What fish could a man live in for three days?

Explin how the acid in the belly would not dissolve Jonah.

So, is Jonah a true story of another myth?

Topaz27
Student

Post #216

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to post 215 by Donray]

And guess who believes in the story of Jonah? Jesus does (Matthew 12:40)

Whoever wrote Matthew seemed to like the idea of Jesus believe in these ancient Hebrew myths. My guess is that it was meant as marketing. Basically saying: "Hey this son of God guy, believes in the same stories as you, he's definitely legit" And I really hope we don't have to go in the validity of the story of Jonah. It's quite obviously just a legend. Which once again discredits Jesus, for actually believing this stuff.

And if you didn't know Matthew probably didn't actually write the book of Matthew.

Edit: And if you're argument is that Jesus was just using these myths to teach us valuable lessons about life. Then maybe the authors of the new testament, just did the same with Jesus.

Donray
Guru

Post #217

Post by Donray »

onewithhim wrote: That's fair.

At this point I don't know how to answer those things, but I'm willing to wait until Jesus explains them during his Reign. (Are there really land animals that are many thousands of years old?)
According to vast majority of believers in the one god Jesus was either a human profit or is god. Therefor Jesus will not be there to answer anything.

I don't understand how you belive in things cannot explin. Blind belief and hope of an afterlife since this one is so bad???

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #218

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Topaz27 wrote:

Probably one of the best points is that civilizations all around the world seemed to be unaffected by the flood.
Practically every civilization (even mountain dwelling or desert ones for whom floods would not have been a threat) has a "flood myth" which would indicate the oppossite. Every civilization experiences disease, famine crop failure ect there is no reason (except that it was a historic event) that death by water should be such a universal theme.
Topaz27 wrote: But rock layers, how every animal would get to the ark, and the fact that there are living things older then the flood, are all solid arguments as well.

My understanding is that most of the earth has sedimentary rocks formations which indicates these areas were once covered by water.
Topaz27 wrote: how every animal would get to the ark,
The bible doesnt say every animal got to the ark.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #219

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Topaz27 wrote:
I'm just saying that if the flood isn't real, then Jesus was wrong. Which obviously discredits him, he would obviously know if Noah's flood was real or not.
If Jesus is the Son of God he would indeed know if there was jndeed a literal flood or not. He is recorded in scripture as refsring to it as a real (literal historic) event.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #220

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Topaz27 wrote:

Probably one of the best points is that civilizations all around the world seemed to be unaffected by the flood.
Practically eveepry civilization has a "flood myth" which would indicate the oppossite.
No, this indicates that practically every civilization has experienced localized floods.

Practically every civilization has experienced war, and has stories about war, this isn't evidence of a global war, but rather of localized wars.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom