Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Reading ‘the other side’

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Reading ‘the other side’

One can gain some insight into ‘Christian thinking’ reading Quora ‘Christian Corner’. The questions asked and answers given are illuminating.

https://www.quora.com/q/the-christian-corner

Likewise, one can gain some insight into ‘Atheist thinking’ reading Atheist Republic forums

https://www.atheistrepublic.com/forums

What differences do you notice?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Reading ‘the other side’

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
Reading ‘the other side’

One can gain some insight into ‘Christian thinking’ reading Quora ‘Christian Corner’. The questions asked and answers given are illuminating.
Christian Thinking? Surely that is so broad it is meaningless. Which Christians? I have met proclaimed atheists who disbelieve in God because they disbelieve in the reality of anything other than their own minds. Is that "atheistic thinking"?

What bottom line definition of "Christian" do you mean?

SallyF
Guru

Post #3

Post by SallyF »

The Christian Corner
q/the-christian-corner

Why do I get nightmares about Satan attacking me & why my husband only gets nightmares about other things?

2 Answers

Deborah Gonzalez Knight, lives in Ireland (2015-present)
Answered Oct 19, 2019

You are being attacked by demons. You need deliverance. You need to ask Jesus into your life and beleive in Him. You say His name the next time. Even in your mind. They will go. They have to submit to His name. You say In the name of The Lord Jesus Christ get out of my face.
34 views · View 5 Upvoters

Dean Cooper, Spent a decade researching true Mormonism and JW's
Answered Oct 19, 2019 · Author has 2.3k answers and 252.7k answer views

Maybe you are getting closer to God and satan is working harder on you to try to convince you that you are not?
https://www.quora.com/q/the-christian-corner

Attacked by demons and Satan working on the victim ...

Looks a whole lot like standard Christian male-believe to this New Atheist.

By comparison ...

Cognostic

Atheist Challenge:

Visit a Christian site of your choosing. Log in and ask some very simple questions. Do not be rude. Do not be confrontational. How long can you ask questions and not be banned from the site? Once you are back here, name the site and share your experience with any quotes or dialogue.

I am going to Christianchat.com "Your account is currently awaiting confirmation. Confirmation." I filled everything out and submitted my request to join, but I was honest about my favorite bible verses.
Deuteronomy 13 "Kill anyone who disagrees with your belief. Your hand should be first to strike them dead." and Luke 14:26, "Anyone who does not hate their mother, father, sister, brother, aunt and uncle will not be admitted into heaven."
Have not heard from them yet.
https://www.atheistrepublic.com/forums/ ... -challenge

MAJOR difference …

We Atheists often know the biblical propaganda better than those who believe in it.

And those who DO believe in it often don't like to be shown what is actually in it.

Christians will often huddle - in my experience - and play the Great Game of Pretend, while pretending the real world is not there.

The Christian Corner is like a “mini-Quora� for Christianity. That means contributors can post, ask questions, answer them, share links, answers, and comment—all without negative input from the world or anti-theism. https://www.quora.com/q/the-christian-corner
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Reading ‘the other side’

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

liamconnor wrote: Christian Thinking?
Is that to suggest Christian Thinking in an oxymoron? Or that the terms should not appear in the same sentence?
liamconnor wrote: Surely that is so broad it is meaningless.
I have encountered some Christians who appear to think rather well.
liamconnor wrote: Which Christians?
Those who self-identify as Christians. For those unfamiliar with the concept, people are entitled to claim whatever religion they wish.

People posting questions and answers at “The Christian Corner� are identifying themselves as Christians. Their thinking, therefore, is Christian thinking. Comprende?

Don’t be embarrassed by what is posted to that site. No need to attempt to distance one’s self from the ‘advice’ offered there. They are just Christians trying their best.
liamconnor wrote: I have met proclaimed atheists who disbelieve in God because they disbelieve in the reality of anything other than their own minds. Is that "atheistic thinking"?
Thank you for attempting to contribute to the thread. That was your intent, wasn’t it – to contribute to the thread? Or was it something else?
liamconnor wrote: What bottom line definition of "Christian" do you mean?
Christians often ask me to define their term – since they cannot define it themselves. However, providing Christians with definitions of Christianity is ‘beyond my job description’.

Instead of helping them, I tell them to accept a person’s self-identification. Many want to argue against doing so.

A quick identification tool I use in debate to identify Christians (that works quite often) is to look for word play, definition mongering, translation games, and/or diversionary tactics.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Diagoras
Guru

Post #5

Post by Diagoras »

What I saw from a brief scan of some questions and answers in the Christian Corner were a predominance of scared or worried people looking for reassurance. Either that they were ‘being good’, or that their personal situation could improve. What’s sad to me is that answers like the one SallyF highlighted about ‘demons in your head’ are so clearly not going to help someone’s suffering or fear.
�I don’t go to church because of sickness. Am I wrong?�
�Can anyone point me to scriptures regarding if we simply fall asleep until Jesus returns or do we go to our loving Father immediately.�
That last one posted from a parent whose child had recently committed suicide.

I also saw a few mentions of the difficulties of dealing with or converting people who weren’t Christian. One striking example:
�Debating an evolutionist is the same as every unbeliever, the only difference is the evolutionist has a whole lot of false knowledge crammed into his head from secular universities.�
That doesn’t strike me as an open-minded viewpoint.

While it’s dangerous to generalise from such a small sample, I came away with the impression of a rather frightened and inward-looking group of people.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Diagoras wrote: While it’s dangerous to generalise from such a small sample, I came away with the impression of a rather frightened and inward-looking group of people.
Agree.

The 'answer' appears to be, "Pray, and if that doesn't work, pray more" -- or "Trust the Lord to solve your problems and if things don't work out well, keep trusting"
Non-Theist