Hebrew - Shouldn't you know it if you seek the truth

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Would it be better to learn Hebrew and know precisely what God said or settle for a translation?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 am

Learn Hebrew. It is the language God used to convey His message. Translations will never be pure
No votes
We should just keep the translations we are used to.
No votes
All translations are true and accurate to the Hebrew. This is a dumb poll
No votes

Total votes: 0

Avoice
Guru

Hebrew - Shouldn't you know it if you seek the truth

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

It seems that people here have enough free time to debate.

I think that time would be better spent learning Hebrew.

God sends you a message. He is your true love. Wouldn't you want to cuddle up in a blanket and read every word your love said? How many of us have ever got a message from someone special. We don't let done one else read it and tell us what it says. Oh no. We want to slowly read every delicious word.

Don't people want to learn the language our love letter is written in? Why settle for this version and that version. And spendibg hours debating people using a translation when they have a different translation is pointless. All you are debating is the integrity if the translator.

Stop kissing God through a towel. You already know two words in Hebrew:. amen and hallelujah. You are on your way!!

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I've just recently started learning Hebrew. And it's a fascinating language! Yes, everyone should learn Hebrew.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Hebrew - Shouldn't you know it if you seek the truth

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Avoice wrote: Don't people want to learn the language our love letter is written in? Why settle for this version and that version. And spendibg hours debating people using a translation when they have a different translation is pointless. All you are debating is the integrity if the translator.
This apology for this religion makes no sense.

Why?

Because the translated versions can't possibly be all that wrong. In fact, they aren't even all that much different from each other.

If the Jews had an entirely different picture of God they could certainly present that. But they don't. Why? Because they don't have a better picture to present. It's that simple.

Also, if you can read Hebrew (and I certainly hope that you can when you are suggesting to others that they should learn it), then you are in a position to write a "corrected" version of the Bible translated into English. So why not just do that and show how the English versions of the Bible have it all wrong?

You can't do that precisely because the English version don't have it all wrong.

You can't dismiss the Biblical Narrative by claiming that the translations into English are so horribly wrong that they don't even resemble the original story at all. That's simply not going to work.

So either claim that the English Bibles are wrong, and produce a corrected version in English that people can read, or give it up, because you clearly don't have an argument here.

Besides, how stupid to you expect us to think this God is? What kind of a creator God who cares about humans wouldn't have taken the time to make sure his story is available to everyone in a crystal clear and unambiguous fashion?

To suggest that we need to learn Hebrew in order to understand God is no different from suggesting that we should believe that we were created by a complete idiot.

Serious. This is simply not a meaningful apology for an obviously failed religion.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Avoice wrote: It seems that people here have enough free time to debate.

. . . have enough free time to debate . . .

Learn Hebrew to debate? Ancient or modern?

Perhaps US citizens would be well advised to learn Russian and Chinese (or other languages) to conduct affairs in modern times. Worldwide, one and a half billion speak English; one and a quarter billion speak some form of Chinese; half a billion speak Spanish; a quarter billion speak Russian; -- and only a tiny fraction of a billion (nine million) people speak Hebrew worldwide. Why emphasize the latter?

In addition to languages it might be wise for many people to learn something of science, technology, critical / analytical thinking, etc in their free time.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Avoice wrote: It seems that people here have enough free time to debate.

And spending hours debating people using a translation when they have a different translation is pointless. All you are debating is the integrity if the translator.
I agree to a certain extent, but there are diminishing returns. Learning enough to read, even slowly, with the help of a dictionary, has what I would consider to be an amazing return for a modest investment in time. Knowing how to conjugate verbs and having the ability to follow along in a parallel translation (I use this one) allows one to see the reasons behind most translation differences and make informed decisions about meaning.

On the other hand, if you pick a translation that at least tries to be consistent, then you'll start to get a feel for how the Hebrew probably looks even while reading in English. I hit a point a few years ago, though, where I feel that I get more from reading a critical commentary than from the same amount of time devoted specifically to Hebrew. Of course, I can't know how much more I'd get out of the text if I were to become more fluent, but I'm content with that level of uncertainty.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Avoice wrote: Hebrew - Shouldn't you know it if you seek the truth
What truth is written in Hebrew? How is truth distinguishable from non-truth in ancient writings?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence