Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Why believe in anything at all?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

Anything beyond our own experiences, the lives we live, why care about anything else?

And even more so, can we even believe in things beyond us? We can, but to what degree of truth, in our life and in our mind, is it really? If someone simply tells us, something that they figured out, somehow, and we can in that moment believe them or not, even if we dont understand how they got to that conclusion...

Id have been starring to think perhaps it is best to doubt that persons claims until it is made true in yourself... Doubt all claims beyond your own thoughts, until it is made true in your own mind.

The "epiphany" on any claim...

People love science, and its so stupid anyways... Big deal, some scientist told you something you believe... People love Jesus, big deal, someone told you something that you believe...

I know what i believe and for what reasons, and that is good for me... But why believe in anything at all? Maybe the beliefs we already have are wrong? Maybe they arent?

More so, so what? Some people dont even care to be wrong, they amuse a flat earth, and maybe they are more interesting to talk with then a guy who reads some science book to us... Some people dont even care to be sinners and some people worry about their sins... Who is more righteous anyways? Some people run in circles with logical arguments, and come to crazy conclusions...

So what? If what i believe is wrong... So what? If what i believe is stupid. So what? If what i believe is right. So what?

Seems like faith, in the absurdity of life and belief, is most comfortable... Should we worry, about the sins of our lives, about the death of our planet science says is happening, about the wars of righteousness we fight, about anything at all? Or to love another? Is it even possible to love someone? It is just your feelings anyways... Do they then understand your feelings of love? It is just their head anyways? Is it possible to be more righteous then another? If you think so, maybe you are a prideful jerk, maybe it is you who are unrighteous? Is it possible to believe the good and love of the world, and others? Do not they just let you down anyways? Is it possible to be smarter then another? Your know your truth, they know theirs... If the stupidity of someone reveals the pride of another's knowledge... I might like the stupid man more then some know-it-all anyways...

But who cares anyways?

Willum
Savant

Post #2

Post by Willum »

I tell you what.
I am a scientist, so I meet your internal criteria.
If there is anything you are uncertain about, I will answer you empirically.
Out of the gate, it is very simple - if anything is reliably, quantitatively and empirically measured, it is true.
Then there is proof via equivalencies, if two things are equal, they are true, and this has layers.
Apple don’t equal oranges, but they are both fruit.

I volunteer to help you with any other and specific questions you may have.
Sincerely yours,

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

ok ill direct you to another thread i jost posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=36394

though, maybe this isnt what you are talking about?

But the point is why care about anything? Why not live faithful? Tell me... If it is becuase science tell me to worry about something that has nothing to do with me... That isnt a good reason at all...

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Tart »

Or that you want to look smart because of your logic? Ok... What good is it to you anyways? Other people see you have some kind of logic? Others opinions of you? Or is it for yourself? Who is smart anyways? And why care?

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 4 by Tart]
Answered, at least to start your GW question.

You'd be surprised what good logic can do for you.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

Even believing that there's no use in believing in anything is believing in something. I don't see how belief can be avoided. The trick is in basing one's beliefs validly because of reasonable evidence.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: I tell you what.
I am a scientist, so I meet your internal criteria.
If there is anything you are uncertain about, I will answer you empirically.
Out of the gate, it is very simple - if anything is reliably, quantitatively and empirically measured, it is true.
Then there is proof via equivalencies, if two things are equal, they are true, and this has layers.
Apple don’t equal oranges, but they are both fruit.

I volunteer to help you with any other and specific questions you may have.
Sincerely yours,
But why should we believe anything you say?

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 7 by 1213]
I can tell you why you should believe what I say over what God tells you.

I can type on a keyboard, and make you read it.

God can't do that.

Then I have a second set of criteria.
I can present fact, evidence and detail.
God can't do that.

Good to start?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #9

Post by Clownboat »

Tart wrote: ok ill direct you to another thread i jost posted here:

viewtopic.php?t=36394

though, maybe this isnt what you are talking about?

But the point is why care about anything? Why not live faithful? Tell me... If it is becuase science tell me to worry about something that has nothing to do with me... That isnt a good reason at all...
I fear you have been tainted by religion.
I say this because science is not a thing that tells us to worry or not worry. Science is a method of doing things.

That is what the gods are for, to tell us what to do and not do. Don't mistake science for a god, that is where you error.

Science is repeatable and falsifiable. The gods are not. You error in pretending they are similar concepts when that is so very far from being a truth.

Be well.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Tart »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 7 by 1213]
I can tell you why you should believe what I say over what God tells you.

I can type on a keyboard, and make you read it.

God can't do that.

Then I have a second set of criteria.
I can present fact, evidence and detail.
God can't do that.

Good to start?

That's dumb... what if God is all around us?

and id give evidence, but im convinced a blind man cant gain sight by seeing, you guys have given the evidence for that