Yeshua? What happened to Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Yeshua? What happened to Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Since when did people have any interest in the language of the Jews?

English speaking Chriatians have called Jesus, Jesus. Now it's like the in thing to say it in Hebrew. Why? To give Jesus more authenticity? I also see God is given a Hebrew translation. Unfortunately, it is unclear how to precusely pronounce His name so to write Yaweh is misinformation. Writing YHVH is one thing. But don't write out the pronunciation because you can't.

Christians have called jesus, jesus for 2000 years. Why change it? And if you like Hebrew why not add more to your vocabulary. You know amen, hallelujah and also Yeshua why stop there.

I see Christians are into looking Jewish too. What is with that??? Wearing a talit and yarmulke. Why? Especially the talit. Not only that but referring to themselves as jews. Messianic Jews. Jews? Not even! They are Christian with a cool name. But not Jews
If Christians want to be Jews they can be. But jew-ing up the wardrobe won't do it.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Yeshua? What happened to Jesus?

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

Avoice wrote:Since when did people have any interest in the language of the Jews?
Since at least Martin Luther, at least for Protestants.
Avoice wrote:English speaking Chriatians have called Jesus, Jesus. Now it's like the in thing to say it in Hebrew. Why? To give Jesus more authenticity?
Perhaps. I'm sure there are almost as many reasons as Yeshua-saying Christians, but it might be to focus more on the Palestinian life and ministry of Jesus rather than Paul's more hellenstic views of substitutionary atonement.

There's also a relatively recent shift, at least in the US, in popular awareness of different cultures on their own terms. Using Yeshua instead of the hellenized Jesus may, to some degree anyway, be analogous to the using of tribal names like Lakota and Santee in place of the US-traditional, francophone Sioux.
Avoice wrote:I also see God is given a Hebrew translation. Unfortunately, it is unclear how to precusely pronounce His name so to write Yaweh is misinformation. Writing YHVH is one thing. But don't write out the pronunciation because you can't.
Most scholars think Yahweh is probably right. It's far from certain, but hardly "misinformation." I also refer to Matthew, for example, rather than the author of the Gospel we call Matthew and often refer to dates being B.C. or A.D. rather than B.C.E. and C.E. because those things are understood and I think make for easier reading. Some might consider that unnecessarily sloppy though, and you're free to agree with them, but also try to keep the perspective that I'm not trying to make any particular points about those rhetorical habits.
Avoice wrote:Christians have called jesus, jesus for 2000 years. Why change it? And if you like Hebrew why not add more to your vocabulary. You know amen, hallelujah and also Yeshua why stop there.
Many names of foreign derivation have traditionally been referred to by different (or even incorrect) standards of transliteration. It's also rare to see once commonplace transliterations like "Mahomet," "Peking," or "Hindoo" now.
Avoice wrote:I see Christians are into looking Jewish too. What is with that??? Wearing a talit and yarmulke. Why? Especially the talit. Not only that but referring to themselves as jews. Messianic Jews. Jews? Not even! They are Christian with a cool name. But not Jews

If Christians want to be Jews they can be. But jew-ing up the wardrobe won't do it.
Do you feel the same way about Protestant pastors that wear a cassock even though they are no longer tied to the traditional Roman church?

Considering that Judaism is often persecuted, I recognize that what you describe cold be considered an insensitive form of cultural appropriation. The reality of Christianity itself, though, is that it's a modied (heavily modified, admittedly) form of Judaism. If some Christians choose to emphasize some of the Judaic elements, particularly in light of the modern trend in favor of more personal expressions of religions rather than traditional or corporate ones, I really don't see that as either an illegitimate dilution of Judaism or any less Christian than other modern innovations like contemporary music during services or using homemade bread for communion rituals.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #3

Post by brianbbs67 »

Why not just use Joshua as Jesus' name? That is what it is. Yoshua /Yeshua/Yehoshua means were back to God delivers.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

Are people wearing Tzitzits in enough number to be seen?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #5

Post by brianbbs67 »

The Jews are Judah, half tribe Benjamin and the Levites and whatever others clammered on to them. They are 1/6th of Israel . It seems Israel is awakening. 5/6ths of Israel is still out among the nations. I think it is good that many seek a path to God.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Avoice wrote: Since when did people have any interest in the language of the Jews?

English speaking Chriatians have called Jesus, Jesus. Now it's like the in thing to say it in Hebrew. Why? To give Jesus more authenticity? I also see God is given a Hebrew translation. Unfortunately, it is unclear how to precusely pronounce His name so to write Yaweh is misinformation. Writing YHVH is one thing. But don't write out the pronunciation because you can't.

Christians have called jesus, jesus for 2000 years. Why change it? And if you like Hebrew why not add more to your vocabulary. You know amen, hallelujah and also Yeshua why stop there.

I see Christians are into looking Jewish too. What is with that??? Wearing a talit and yarmulke. Why? Especially the talit. Not only that but referring to themselves as jews. Messianic Jews. Jews? Not even! They are Christian with a cool name. But not Jews
Isn't the generic Hebrew name for God "Elohim" or "El"? "YHVH" is His personal name.

Regarding your question for debate (in the title of your OP), why not refer to Jesus by his Hebrew name, Yahshua, or Yeshua. The name is theophonic, and contains the name of God Himself, like other names of Bible heroes. Names like "Elijah, for instance.

How is it wrong for Christians to call Jesus by his Hebrew name. Should Christians stop saying "Amen" as well??

I agree with you, by the way, that "Messianic Jews" or "Jews for Jesus" aren't Jews really at all. The Messiah was never supposed to have been God incarnate, nor is he suppose to be the object of worship.

And yes, a good case can be made that Jesus isn't the Messiah at all, let alone God Himself.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

Avoice wrote: Since when did people have any interest in the language of the Jews?

Writing YHVH is one thing. But don't write out the pronunciation because you can't.

I agree with this. No one alive today knows or will reveal(some secret group of Karites or kabalists may know or claim too) the divine name used by the patriarchs. We can guess but that is all we have. We can definately know it is not Yehovah as that is an Anglicizied translation inserting English vowels in the Hebrew. Even inserting into the Proto-Hebrew pointers(later), still no certainty is found. Our God fortold this long ago. He showed us the beginning while telling us the end. Why not take God at His word?