Trump impeachment

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Trump impeachment

Post #1

Post by historia »

On September 24, 2019, the US House of Representatives began an impeachment inquiry into Donald Trump.

Most political analysts agree that the House, which has a Democratic majority, is likely to vote in favor of impeachment. While the Senate, which has a Republican majority, is unlikely to reach the two-thirds majority needed to remove Trump from office.

Questions for debate:

1. Should Trump be impeached?

2. Should Trump be removed from office?

3. If the process plays out as analysts expect, will this redound to the Democrats' or the Republicans' benefit in the 2020 elections?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Trump impeachment

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

historia wrote: 1. Should Trump be impeached?
As far as I'm concerned he should have already been impeached for many different valid reasons already.
historia wrote: 2. Should Trump be removed from office?
Absolutely. And again, he should have been removed from office long before this particular incident.
historia wrote: 3. If the process plays out as analysts expect, will this redound to the Democrats' or the Republicans' benefit in the 2020 elections?
IMHO Americans should be absolutely ashamed of themselves to even thinking of this in terms of tribal warfare between parties. In fact the news media isn't helpful in this as they frame the whole thing as a war between the parties.

As far as I'm concerned any American patriot should want Trump out of the office of the presidency. He's not only a disgrace to America, but he's a disgrace to humanity. So not only should Americans want to see him booted, but any decent human being should want to see him booted as well.

It disgusts me that any of my fellow Americans would support this kind of behavior from our president. It makes me ashamed to be an American. I can only hope that we can get rid of this jerk and return to some level of human decency. I really don't care which "party" is in control.

Trump isn't a Republican anyway. Trump has played the Republicans for fools, and its the Republicans who should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Trump to bully them into submission.

So this isn't even about Democrats versus Republicans. It's about Americans versus Trump's puppets. Puppets who have had their "Republican Party" stripped right out from under them. They used to stand for some principles. Now they just stand for Trump. The Republican party doesn't even exist anymore.

Will Trump be reelected? I certainly hope not. But if he is we can kiss America goodbye. Because if Trump wins in 2020 he'll be far worse than he already has been. And any so-called "Republicans" that supported him will have placed themselves in a position where they will need to grovel at his feet begging him not to hurt their fragile careers. They will have created a very powerful autocrat who will then be able to get away with anything he wants. He already believes this now. If he's reelected that will only affirm his belief.

Can you imagine a so-called "Republican" speaking out against him in his second term? :-k

Are you kidding me? They are terrified of doing that already.

If he's in for a second term no Republican would dare speak out against anything Trump might choose to do. They would be instantly chastised by Trump and bullied into a corner where all they will have left to do is cry and beg for mercy.

It's NOT in the Republicans favor to even keep Trump in office. If they were smart they'd boot him out with this impeachment opportunity and move forward with Mike Pence. That's really their only chance to survive Trump. But I don't think they have what it takes to do that. Instead, they'll just cower down to Trump's demands and play right into his hands.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Menotu
Sage

Post #3

Post by Menotu »

historia wrote: On September 24, 2019, the US House of Representatives began an impeachment inquiry into Donald Trump.

Most political analysts agree that the House, which has a Democratic majority, is likely to vote in favor of impeachment. While the Senate, which has a Republican majority, is unlikely to reach the two-thirds majority needed to remove Trump from office.

Questions for debate:

3. If the process plays out as analysts expect, will this redound to the Democrats' or the Republicans' benefit in the 2020 elections?
Yes for 1 & 2 - it amazes me he seems to be doing the exact opposite of what he should be doing, in almost all things, for the benefit of the USA.
For 3, there are limited people in the running, independent of party, that seems to be able to do the job properly. We should be working to 1) repair Trump's mistakes and 2) help the USA.
Career politicians are one of the worst aspects to the USA. They seem to be in it more for their benefit than the benefit of you and I.
Once we part ways with 'what party is best for America' and pick a person who is honest and moral and wants to benefit the USA, regardless of party, the better.
If we keep playing party-lines the USA will continue to erode.
My 2¢

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Menotu wrote: Once we part ways with 'what party is best for America' and pick a person who is honest and moral and wants to benefit the USA, regardless of party, the better.
I personally think that Buttigieg would be great for the USA. In some ways it's a bummer that he's gay. Not that I care, but I think that simple fact will prevent many people from even considering him. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if it was straight he'd potentially be number one in the democratic poles right now.

I'd certainly vote for him.
Menotu wrote: If we keep playing party-lines the USA will continue to erode.
They aren't even really playing party-lines. There are no actual Republicans left in congress. In fact many people have left the Republican party because they don't even recognize it anymore.
Menotu wrote: Career politicians are one of the worst aspects to the USA. They seem to be in it more for their benefit than the benefit of you and I.
That's what it's all about right there. All these so-called "Republican" members of congress aren't standing up for Republican values. To the contrary, they are disgracing Republican values in favor of trying to save their own personal careers. They see Trump as the locomotive pulling the train and they don't want to fall off the train. The fact that the train no longer represents Republican values doesn't seem to even bother these guys at all. They just cling to the career train no matter where it goes. And Trump is the engineer.

What best for America? They couldn't care less.
[center]Image
[/center]

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 4 by Divine Insight]

I saw a poll just last week (for all that a poll is worth) that said something like 46% of American would vote for a gay man, but out of those 46% said they thought only 26% of Americans would vote for a gay man.
Or something like that. The just was more would vote for a gay man but they don't think many other would, I guess was the main takeaway.
So many focusing on differences than similarities. I guess with all the past 'diversity is great' thinking that's a negative that comes from it - the focus on differences.
Beyond all of that, America needs someone that's for American people, not his family, money, corporations, ego, etc.
Maybe that's wishful thinking?
Have a good day!

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 5 by Menotu]

In 2020 I'm voting a straight democratic ticket and I don't even care who's on it. And it's not even that I favor the Democrats. I just don't see any humanity left in the current Republican representatives.

A lot of analysts have said that in 2016 Trump didn't win, but instead Hillary lost. And by this they simply mean that many people who voted for Trump actually did so simply because they couldn't stand Hillary.

In 2020 just the opposite may be true. People are going to tend to vote against Trump no matter who's running against him. I think the majority of the country is fed up with Trump's ignorance and obvious immaturity. He's an embarrassment to the USA and now he has what's left of the Republican party embarrassing themselves in an attempt to defend him.
[center]Image
[/center]

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]

I agree for the most part. Dems tend to hold my interests more (things that matter more to me I mean)
Last election I said the Devil could have ran and he would have been voted for over Hillary. Maybe he did :?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]

I agree for the most part. Dems tend to hold my interests more (things that matter more to me I mean)
Last election I said the Devil could have ran and he would have been voted for over Hillary. Maybe he did :?
I'm not a religious person, but I was born and raised as a Christian and so I am very familiar with Christianity. I no longer believe in the religion, but if I did I would be very convinced that Trump is the anti-Christ. I can't understand how any serious Christian could support him. Unless they too believe that he's the anti-Christ and just think that this is all part of God's plan to bring the world to an end. But even then they shouldn't be supporting Trump or his demonic policies.

So yeah, if I were still a Christian I would be totally convinced that Trump is the anti-Christ. He's either Satan himself, or he's been totally corrupted by Satan and Satan is just using him as a puppet.

But hopefully that whole religious paradigm is wrong and it's just a coincidence that someone this bad was voted in as the American president. Hopefully the nightmare will be over soon.

If it truly is the end of the world and Trump is the anti-Christ at least I'll have the peace of mind to know that I rejected everything he stood for. I'd hate to be in the shoes of those who supported him.
[center]Image
[/center]

bjs
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by bjs »

historia wrote: 1. Should Trump be impeached?
Yes.
historia wrote: 2. Should Trump be removed from office?

It depends on what is found in the impeachment inquiry.
historia wrote: 3. If the process plays out as analysts expect, will this redound to the Democrats' or the Republicans' benefit in the 2020 elections?
To me, it looks like a crapshoot. I can see ways that both Democrats and Republicans will say that, no matter the outcome, it will be beneficial for their party. I doubt that there will be a uniformed response from independents. Assuming that it is done before the primaries begin, the impeachment inquiry will not be a major factor for most independent voters.
Last edited by bjs on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #10

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to post 1 by historia]

Questions for debate:

For what? No crime or impeachable offense has been committed.

For what?

Yes, most definitely.