Trump impeachment

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Trump impeachment

Post #1

Post by historia »

On September 24, 2019, the US House of Representatives began an impeachment inquiry into Donald Trump.

Most political analysts agree that the House, which has a Democratic majority, is likely to vote in favor of impeachment. While the Senate, which has a Republican majority, is unlikely to reach the two-thirds majority needed to remove Trump from office.

Questions for debate:

1. Should Trump be impeached?

2. Should Trump be removed from office?

3. If the process plays out as analysts expect, will this redound to the Democrats' or the Republicans' benefit in the 2020 elections?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #71

Post by Divine Insight »

Danmark wrote: According to the Babylon Bee Trump just said:
"... and who is doing more for Christians today? Not Jesus. He disappeared; no one knows what happened to him."

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-i-hav ... _rRbu3Q4qA

If this bears out as a true Trump quote it should prove to evangelicals who Trump really is, but I doubt even this will change their minds. Many of them would support Hitler if he promised to appoint anti abortion judges and keep brown people out of the country.
If Christianity is true, then Trump is the Anti-Christ and everyone who supports him is supporting the Anti-Christ. He certainly has all the character traits to qualify for that position. No questions about that

I can't understand how anyone who loves Jesus could support Trump. No one is more anti-Christlike than Trump. Yet the evangelists worship Trump. It's surreal.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #72

Post by Danmark »

I can't understand how anyone who loves truth can support Trump. Aside from the fact Hitler admitted his genocidal intent, and Trump tries to hid his, I see little difference between the two. They are both anti democratic and anti truth. I confess (I'm embarrassed to admit this) I supported Nixon on some issues back in the 60's, and when the truth about his role in Watergate emerged, it was still difficult to admit he should be removed from office... BUT despite whether one agrees with his politics, this demagogue needs to be removed. That a majority of Christians still support him argues against Christianity. Nixon was more Christlike than Trump, and smarter, and more loyal to the country. Trump has no political affiliation. His only loyalty is to himself.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Re: Trump impeachment

Post #73

Post by Daedalus X »

historia wrote: 2. Should Trump be removed from office?
Yes, he should be removed from office. He has caved in to the demands of the deep state and shadow government. He has continued the American agenda of illegally assassinating world leaders as they see fit. With the help of the deep state and shadow government, he will be re-elected in 2020 and possibly 2024. He will not investigate deep state and shadow government activities. The records of what has gone down in the secret places in Washington will be kept confidential till we are all dead and gone.

Menotu
Sage

Post #74

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 71 by Danmark]
His only loyalty is to himself.
So true. It seems like most, if not all, of what he says and does is the exact opposite of what the country needs and only for him and a few of his friends and family that benefit him. There must be some sort of psychological disorder this represents?
Maybe, in 10-20 years, we will all sit back and say "Wow, Trump was a genius!"
Maybe not. Most likely not. But hindsight is 20/20...

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #75

Post by Daedalus X »

Menotu wrote: Maybe, in 10-20 years, we will all sit back and say "Wow, Trump was a genius!"
Maybe not. Most likely not. But hindsight is 20/20...
Wow, Trump is a genius!
I think that most of us have already figured this one out! :dance2: Trump 20/20 and 20/24 and 20/28...

[youtube][/youtube]

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #76

Post by Bust Nak »

Daedalus X wrote: Trump 20/20 and 20/24 and 20/28...
Same Trump, or the Trump "dynasty?"

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #77

Post by Gracchus »

Oh by the way, it seems that withholding the aid voted by congress, for whatever "reason" was a crime!

historia
Prodigy

Post #78

Post by historia »

The Senate trial gets underway in earnest on Wednesday, January 21.

The House Managers have filed their trial brief. And Trump's lawyers have issued their answer. The two are starkly different in size and tone.

In the meantime, one of Giuliani's indicted associates, Lev Parnas, is all over TV, Bolton has agreed to serve as a witness if subpoenaed by the Senate, and the Government Accountability Office has issued a report concluding that, in withholding Congressionally-approved aid, Trump broke the law.

Should be an interesting week.

historia
Prodigy

Post #79

Post by historia »

So that concludes the impeachment of Donald Trump.

As expected (see OP), it went according to predictions.

It's hard to tell whether this will ultimately benefit Trump and the Republicans or if it will benefit the Democrats. It may be a bit of a wash, actually.

I can think of no fitter way to end the thread than with the words of Mitt Romney:
Romney wrote:
The results of this Senate court will in fact be appealed to a higher court: the judgment of the American people. Voters will make the final decision, just as the president’s lawyers have implored. My vote will likely be in the minority in the Senate.

But irrespective of these things, with my vote, I will tell my children and their children that I did my duty to the best of my ability, believing that my country expected it of me. I will only be one name among many, no more or less, to future generations of Americans who look at the record of this trial. They will note merely that I was among the senators who determined that what the president did was wrong, grievously wrong.
Romney is wrong about one thing. He will not be remembered merely as "one name among many," but will, I think, be remembered for his courage in doing the right thing.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #80

Post by Daedalus X »

historia wrote:
I can think of no fitter way to end the thread than with the words of Mitt Romney:
I can think of a fitter way.

The impeachment is dead, long live the King!