Nancy Pelosi plays the "Catholic card"

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Nancy Pelosi plays the "Catholic card"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Nancy Pelosi makes frequent references to her Catholic faith, and insists that she is a prayerful person. (perhaps she is) Yet she continues to support abortion on demand, and the LBGTQIA agenda. Both positions contradict the teachings of the RCC.

For debate, should the RCC excommunicate Nancy Pelosi and other Catholic advocates of abortion? If not, why not?

Also, Liberals tend to criticize the Republicans for mentioning God or attempting to integrate religious freedom into government policies. Should Pelosi receive the same criticism for playing the Catholic card? If not, why not?

Since Nancy Pelosi seems to be in a perpetual state of rage against the President (and Conservatives in general) and yet insists she doesn't hate anybody, why should we believe her?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Nancy Pelosi plays the "Catholic card"

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: For debate, should the RCC excommunicate Nancy Pelosi and other Catholic advocates of abortion? If not, why not?
No. Because she isn't an advocate of abortion.

This is where you have made a grave mistake in judging her.

Making legislation and taking a stand on morality are two entirely different things.

Something that many theists apparently can't even understand.

Legislation was never intended to put morality into law.

To not support legislation that makes criminals out of people who choose to have an abortion is NOT THE SAME as advocating abortion.

Unfortunately a lot of people are not intelligent enough to comprehend this.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Gracchus »

Well, let's see...
If abortion is morally murder, then any benevolent and wise God would deal with it as such. That benevolent and wise God will deal with the victims and the perpetrators as that God sees fit. Humans need not concern themselves.
But what really seems to concern the "pro-lifers" is that they stand up in front of everyone to demonstrate their own moral superiority.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." --- Matthew 7:1-5 NIV

Jesus didn't hesitate to call out stinking hypocrites. You don't care about the children who are already born. You call them "illegitimate" or throw them into cages if they seek help at your borders, or turn them away. You defend a serial adulterer who cheats those he owes money, and lies more often than he speaks the truth. We don't need angels to separate the righteous from the unrighteous. You have conveniently sorted yourselves.

"Whoever has ears, let them hear." --- Matthew 11:15 NIV

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but frankly, the stench of Christian hypocrisy offends me.

:ok: :study:

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Let's put it equal

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

Gracchus wrote: Well, let's see...
If abortion is morally murder, then any benevolent and wise God would deal with it as such. That benevolent and wise God will deal with the victims and the perpetrators as that God sees fit. Humans need not concern themselves.
But what really seems to concern the "pro-lifers" is that they stand up in front of everyone to demonstrate their own moral superiority.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." --- Matthew 7:1-5 NIV

Jesus didn't hesitate to call out stinking hypocrites. You don't care about the children who are already born. You call them "illegitimate" or throw them into cages if they seek help at your borders, or turn them away. You defend a serial adulterer who cheats those he owes money, and lies more often than he speaks the truth. We don't need angels to separate the righteous from the unrighteous. You have conveniently sorted yourselves.

"Whoever has ears, let them hear." --- Matthew 11:15 NIV

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but frankly, the stench of Christian hypocrisy offends me.
Well, let's see...
One lifeview that doesn't care about any of all the evil in the World, "Atheism", as long as you don't believe in God.
At least Christians try to stand the ground to mean something, to make the World a better place!

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but frankly, the outright stench of "Atheism" that implicitly rejects Humanism offends me.

That is, if the Catholic card has some heart to it then it's justified infinitely more than "all evil Atheism".

Note: USA is not one human being and it is marked by corruption and a part "Atheism", "not to say that Atheism has any guilt in it".
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote: Nancy Pelosi makes frequent references to her Catholic faith, and insists that she is a prayerful person. (perhaps she is) Yet she continues to support abortion on demand, and the LBGTQIA agenda. Both positions contradict the teachings of the RCC.
Good for her on both counts. It's encouraging to see a high profile individual rejecting outdated religious based prejudices.

As far as abortion goes, she's far from alone. In 2014:
  • • Many abortion patients reported a religious affiliation—24% were Catholic, 17% were mainline Protestant, 13% were evangelical Protestant and 8% identified with some other religion. Thirty-eight percent of patients had no religious affiliation.

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/chara ... ients-2014
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Gracchus
Apprentice

Re: Let's put it equal

Post #6

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 4 by Aetixintro]

"At least Christians try to stand the ground to mean something, to make the World a better place!"

I guess that is why they have been burning heretics and witches, and waging holy wars since the 5th century. They are trying to make the world a better place. Let's all bring popcorn to the auto da fe. (Maybe we can burn down a few synagogues on the way home!)
\:D/ :thumb:

:study:

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Christianity, in all it's 'glory', has its tentacle in the USA's government so much it would be almost impossible to remove it.
Member of both political parties play in to the whole 'Christian' thing for votes and support. Neither of the political parties are truly Christian as far as I can see. They're, much like Christianity, trying to gain control and get your money. They care little about the 'little people' beneath them.

Frankly, if someone was excommunicated from a religious organization, it might garner them more support and be the best thing for them personally and professionally.