The age of miracles

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

The age of miracles

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

It's not really my intention to make a whole thread out of this; I just mean to pose a question as a point of curiosity: Can anyone refer me to textual evidence that the age of miracles was to end with the passing of the apostles?

tam
Savant

Post #211

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to post 209 by tam]

Sorry I messed up the order of the links above (and forgot to check until the editing time had passed). Edited it should read:

But for a comparison of the WTS practice to what Christ instructed, and so as not to distract from the discussion at hand, see here:

viewtopic.php?p=785298#785298

viewtopic.php?p=785229#785229

See here for further discussions on the topic:

viewtopic.php?p=723455#723455

viewtopic.php?p=753657#753657

viewtopic.php?p=829153#829153

viewtopic.php?p=829173#829173

Peace again to you!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #212

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 211 by tam]

You seem set on denigrating the WTS. Shall I make a list of all the ways that your faith path is different from what Jesus espoused?

tam
Savant

Post #213

Post by tam »

Peace again to you, owh,
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 211 by tam]

You seem set on denigrating the WTS.

If the WTS is shown to be in conflict with Christ (the Light, the Truth), then would not the fault lie with them rather than with the one who pointed it out?

I am doing nothing more than holding all things up against the Light (Christ). Testing the inspired expressions as my Lord taught me (testing against love, since nothing true will be against love, and testing against Him, Christ Jaheshua, the Light. Since nothing true can be against the Truth).

Shall I make a list of all the ways that your faith path is different from what Jesus espoused?
Does this mean that you see ways in which the WTS is teaching different than Christ? As for your question to me, by all means, hold all things up against the Light (who is Christ). Including anything I have said. If I am disobeying my Lord, I would want to know so that I could repent and correct my behavior.

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #214

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 142 by JehovahsWitness]

Sojournerofthearth wrote:
The name YHVH can apply to them both as the name simply means the Eternal

No it doesn't.
It definitely means The Eternal, so you must be referring to YHWH being used for both beings? But I would say that is also definite, so I'm not certain what "no it doesn't" means. You'll have to clarify.

Sojournerofthearth wrote:
They are both Elohim, of the God Family. One in purpose, one in mind and heart, but not one in the same.

Does being united in purpose indicate equality in rank, power and age?
Well, I would say Eternal pretty well eliminates age... it would be sort of an Either you are or you aren't. I guess since at one point, He became "one who cannot keep himself alive" (Ps. 22) I could give you that, as He would have had to receive a NEW NAME... He always submits to the Father. Lesser Rank does not mean another species. Wives, submit to your own Husbands, Servants obey your masters, Children be obedient to your parents... all of different status and yet, all human.

Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God something to be possessed by force. On the contrary, he emptied himself, in that he took the form of a slave by becoming like human beings are. And when he appeared as a human being, he humbled himself still more by becoming obedient even to death—death on a stake as a criminal! Therefore God raised him to the highest place and gave him the name above every name;
(Philippians 2:6-9)

Joh 17:5  And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. 

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (John 1:1-5)

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
(John 8:56-59)

Now why did they want to stone Him? Because, CLEARLY, He was saying He was God, I AM, HYH, SELF EXISTANT.

According to the Bible, if one is so inclined.

Soj

onewithhim
Savant

Post #215

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Peace again to you, owh,
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 211 by tam

Shall I make a list of all the ways that your faith path is different from what Jesus espoused?
Does this mean that you see ways in which the WTS is teaching different than Christ?
tammy
No, not at all. It is YOU who are saying such a thing. If you insist on criticizing the WTS, I could find a few things that YOUR belief system is different from Christ's path.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #216

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 214 by Sojournerofthearth]

No, they wanted to stone Jesus because he was saying that he was older than Abraham. Not that he claimed to be God. Their pride got pricked. They placed their importance on being Abraham's children, and here was this young man saying that he was older than their forefather Abraham.

Jesus never said "before Abraham was 'I Am'." What he said in proper Greek was "I existed before Abraham was even born." Do some research before you say such over-the-edge things. Jesus never claimed to be God, and the Jews knew this. They just wanted to give him a hard time. In fact, when he was dying they said, "He has put his trust in God; let Him now rescue him if He wants him, for he said, 'I am God's Son.'" (Matthew 27:43)

They differentiated between God and Jesus, so they very well knew that Jesus wasn't claiming to be God, knowing clearly also that Jesus never said he was God, but God's Son.

Tcg
Savant

Post #217

Post by Tcg »

Does this mean that you see ways in which the WTS is teaching different than Christ?
tammy
No, not at all. It is YOU who are saying such a thing. If you insist on criticizing the WTS, I could find a few things that YOUR belief system is different from Christ's path.
Let's pretend you did so. How would that change the teaching of WTS?

Finding flaws in another's position, if that were to happen, does nothing to bolster your own. In fact all it does is shift the focus from one position to another.

One has to wonder why one would shift to that approach if they indeed could defend their position successfully.

If tam presented flaws with your position, and you presented flaws with hers, it wouldn't show that either is correct. It in fact would show that both are flawed.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #218

Post by Checkpoint »

Tcg wrote:

tammy
Let's pretend you did so. How would that change the teaching of WTS?

Finding flaws in another's position, if that were to happen, does nothing to bolster your own. In fact all it does is shift the focus from one position to another.

One has to wonder why one would shift to that approach if they indeed could defend their position successfully.

If tam presented flaws with your position, and you presented flaws with hers, it wouldn't show that either is correct. It in fact would show that both are flawed.

Tcg
So?

If this and if that.

What is your point and what is the point?

tam
Savant

Post #219

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

tammy

See post 213, as I have already responded to this.

Peace again to you,
- a slave of Christ,
tammy