None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

marco
Savant

Re: None good but God

Post #2

Post by marco »

Wootah wrote: Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Not everything that Matthew says can be taken as the literal truth. When someone says, "Good master" the word "good" is a form of address, which Jesus presumably understood. His correction is pedantic.

One theory is that Christ had two natures: the hypostatic union. He regularly emphasises his unworthy human side.

Your question assumes many things that have been subject to "learned" analysis over the centuries. What is sin, what is original sin, what does "pay for" mean; is it retrospective or does it allow future sinners grace as well?

Anyway, if we tie all the assumptions together, it seems entirely possible that a panther could pay for your sins, if God so willed it. It really depends on how one develops the theory of original sin and its consequences.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Wootah wrote: Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
...obviously another hint to the Trinity and divine Messiah.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

ttruscott wrote:
Wootah wrote: Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
...obviously another hint to the Trinity and divine Messiah.
True that.

In my opinion, the greatest and most explicit and irrefutable proclamation that Jesus is God comes from Jesus Himself in John 6 (vv. 32-39), where He refers to Himself as the bread of life... come down from heaven, and John 8 (v. 12), where He refers to Himself as the Light of the world. In both passages, He is referring to specifically to the Exodus, to Moses and the Israelites in the desert. Specifically:
  • * Chapter 13, where God -- yes, Jehovah, I AM THAT I AM -- leads His people as a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night; God Himself is the Light

...and:

* Chapters 15 and 16, where God -- yes, Jehovah, I AM THAT I AM -- provides water, manna, and meat; God Himself is the Israelites' nourisment and protection and salvation.
This is precisely what Jesus is saying in all this: "I AM THAT I AM" -- I am your light and nourishment and protection and salvation.

But alas, there are still many who will not see. Perhaps for them this will not remain the case.

Grace and peace to you.

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

May you have peace!

How can this verse support the trinity doctrine when IN this very verse, Christ (Jaheshua) differentiates between Himself and God?

"Why do you call me good? There are none good but God alone."

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: May you have peace!

How can this verse support the trinity doctrine when IN this very verse, Christ (Jaheshua) differentiates between Himself and God?

Peace to you,
tammy
Tam please answer the first question of the OP first.

Given that God does not accept lambs that are blemished, ie: not good lambs, how can a not good being be the propitiation of our sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

Peace to you,
tammy
He's not "differentiating" at all, but rather calling the young ruler (that he is a ruler is a fact of great significance) out for is calling Him "good" and not understanding and/or believing that He is God in the flesh. The young man obviously only thinks of Jesus as a learned Teacher, so Jesus asks, then, in effect, "How can you speak of me in a term which can really be predicated of no child of man?" Thus, Christ answers the young man's address before He answers his question, reproving him for using a form of words without realizing its full import. This is all plain enough; it's the very point Jesus (Jaheshua), God's Christ, the Messiah, is making.

Grace and peace to you.

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

To be fair, can't anyone pray for anything the want?
Do you have to be 'good' to pray for something or someone?
People pray all the time - a few/some/many/most of them far from good, decent people.
Going further, I know Christians that aren't 'good' people. Can't they pray?
Or are we talking about the value of the prayer?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote:

Peace to you,
tammy
Tam please answer the first question of the OP first.

Given that God does not accept lambs that are blemished, ie: not good lambs, how can a not good being be the propitiation of our sins?
Christ was without blemish, he never broke the law. Sin is defined by the bible as breaking the law(God's commands). Apparently he was possessed wholely(full indwelling of the spirit of God )by the Holy Spirit(God).

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

The Purgatory sorts it out! (Just in case you do not go to Hell.)

After the Purgatory, comes Heaven! God bless!
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!