None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #101

Post by tam »

PinSeeker wrote:
tam wrote: Peace again to you!

[Replying to post 93 by Wootah]

He clearly differentiated between Himself and God
No He didn't. He said nothing about Himself -- explicitly. Implicitly, He said, "Yes, I am good -- because I, along with the Father, am God. You just don't know what you're really saying/asking." Much like He said on the cross, "Forgive them, Father, because they know not what they do." Except it was more than that; He was pushing the young man to fully realize the import of what he was saying/asking. Whether he did come to realize that or not we know not.

But this is not what Christ said. What you have added here are your own words (or the words of some other person who added this as their own spin).

No, this is an attempt to get around the fact that Christ did differentiate between Himself (Why do you call ME good?) and God (There is only one who is good: God alone). And this is not the only place that Christ differentiates between Himself and God. So there is no need to come up with elaborate explanations when the simple and straightforward reading - that Christ is referring to Himself on one hand (in truth at the right hand of God) and to God on the other hand - is supported here and in other places.

And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and [Jesus] Christ whom you have sent. John 17:3

"I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’� John 20:17

After the Lord [Jesus] had spoken to them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. Mark 16:19

Psalm 110 (the topic of discussion in another thread) also differentiates between "the LORD" (YHWH) and "my Lord" (Christ).

[The LORD] said to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet."

And from Revelation (and this is after Christ has ascended to heaven and to His Father):

12The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will never again leave it. Upon him I will write the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God (the new Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven from My God), and My new name.

He does not call Himself God. He refers to God as "my God". He also writes three things upon the one who is victorious:

- the name of His God

- the name of the city of His God

- His own new name

Not to mention the fact that at the very beginning of the Revelation, God is the One who gave the revelation TO Christ so that Christ could make it known to His servants.

Christ is not claiming to be God (the Most Holy One of Israel) in this verse or in any other verse.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #102

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 99 by Eloi]

Ok how does a not good being pay for our sins on the cross?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]
Somehow you think Jesus must be God to be a good sacrifice to God.
And how the israelites were asked to sacrifice literal lambs to God if a lamb is not God? :?:

Wootah
Savant

Post #104

Post by Wootah »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to Wootah]
Somehow you think Jesus must be God to be a good sacrifice to God.
And how the israelites were asked to sacrifice literal lambs to God if a lamb is not God? :?:
Do you think a bad sacrifice can pay for our sins?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]

Of course not ... But it is you who say a "good sacrifice" to God must be as good as God to the point of being God. Are you God to say what is a good sacrifice to Him?

And again:

This is what God said about the sacrifices in Israel:

Lev. 22:17 And Jehovah continued to speak to Moses, saying: 18 “Speak to Aaron and his sons and all the sons of Israel, and you must say to them, ‘As for any man of the house of Israel or some alien resident in Israel who presents his offering, for any of their vows or for any of their voluntary offerings, which they may present to Jehovah for a burnt offering, 19 to gain approval for YOU it must be sound, a male among the herd, among the young rams or among the goats. 20 Anything in which there is a defect YOU must not present, because it will not serve to gain approval for YOU.
21 “‘And in case a man should present a communion sacrifice to Jehovah in order to pay a vow or as a voluntary offering, it should prove to be a sound one among the herd or the flock, in order to gain approval. No defect at all should prove to be in it. 22 No case of blindness or fracture or having a cut or wart or scabbiness or ringworm, none of these must YOU present to Jehovah, and no offering made by fire from them must YOU put upon the altar for Jehovah. 23 As for a bull or a sheep having a member too long or too short, you may make it a voluntary offering; but for a vow it will not be accepted with approval. 24 But one having the testicles squeezed or crushed or pulled off or cut off YOU must not present to Jehovah, and in YOUR land YOU should not render them up. 25 And any of all these from the hand of a foreigner YOU must not present as the bread of YOUR God, because their corruption is in them. There is a defect in them. They will not be accepted with approval of YOU.’�

Were those sacrifices "as good as God" to the point of being "God" to be good sacrifices?

Wootah
Savant

Post #106

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 104 by Eloi]

The sacrifical system has a lot of purposes. The reason they have to keep sacrificing is because none of them are good enough. A perfect sacrifice however can be the once and for all sacrifice. A not good being cannot be the perfect sacrifice.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #107

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]
Well, let me tell you something: Jesus was a very compassionate person when he was a man. He fed people not only with spiritual "food" but even with material food when he saw they were hungry ...

The thing is that Jesus won't be that compassionate when he will judge the unrighteous persons who he will destroy in the future ... and that is because he will apply justice and not compassion with those persons ... Does that make him a bad person? Does that make him good enough for you? ... Or is God the One who choose and decide what is good enough for Him?

And tell me: does the fact that Jesus had to be perfected under sufferings and learn obedience in a condition he did not have before in heaven, make him "good as God" to your eyes? Does God need to be perfected in any sense? Is it not God the One who approve or disapprove someone? ... or is it you?

You repeat yourself too much ... but you don't answer the questions.

Wootah
Savant

Post #108

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 106 by Eloi]

Justice is good.

If Jesus is not worthy then he is not worthy. All I am saying, and Jesus himself said, he is not good. So given I have full confidence of my salvation in Jesus how can I know it is secure in Jesus?
Last edited by Wootah on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #109

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]
Because even if Jesus said only God is good, you can be sure that he was the perfect sacrifice for our sins:

1 Pet. 1:17 And if you are calling on the Father who judges impartially according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves with fear during the time of your temporary residence. 18 For you know that it was not with corruptible things, with silver or gold, that you were set free from your futile way of life handed down to you by your forefathers. 19 But it was with precious blood, like that of an unblemished and spotless lamb, that of Christ.

... and it was accepted by God:

Heb. 5:7 In the days of his flesh [Christ] offered up supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear. 8 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered; 9 and after he had been made perfect he became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him, 10 because he has been specifically called by God a high priest according to the manner of Mel·chizʹe·dek.

Wootah
Savant

Post #110

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 108 by Eloi]

So not good lambs are unblemished?