Who appointed Jesus to the Priesthood?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Who appointed Jesus to the Priesthood?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Who, (besides the unknown author of Hebrews), appointed Jesus "Priest"? Some defenders of Pauline Christianity point to this role to support the validity of his atoning "blood sacrifice".

But who appointed him to this role? Where was this done?

Isn't the unknown author of the book of Hebrews simply offering his/her own theological interpretation of Jesus role in his own martyrdom?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Avoice
Guru

Post #31

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 25 by myth-one.com]

How do you so casually type about human sacrifices? If you were on a remote island and tgey tossed a virgin in a volcano you'd probably vomit at the sight of it. How pagan and barbaric. Youd think: oh my God who are these savages who are pleased with human sacrifices?

Paganism is alive and well. Only the pagans dont realize their pagans. Worshipping a three headed god who mated with a human and produced a demi god. If I were to go pagan id pick one that wasn't founded on manipulating the text of a trusted holy book. Leaning on its reputation. Then tell the people you stole the Bible from that they dont understand their own bible. No, they understand Hebrew. If you did you wouldnt believe in Christianity. THEY don't understand but CHRISTIANS do. Yeah, not much. Dont you wish you could read it like they could? To once and for all know what it really says. Every nuance. That is what every christian should hope to find under their dead tree. The ability to read God's message to them in the language he conveyed it. When you receiced a love letter did you want others to read it to you? Or did you sit in a confirtabke chair and read every word. Then read it again because each word is so delicious.

Human sacrifices? You find that acceotable? Deep down i think you know better. But hey your neighbors accept it and no one thinks it is pagan.. on a cross or in a volcano. Whats the difference? You wear Gucci and drink Starbucks. They wear primitive tribal clothes and carry water from a stream .

Avoice
Guru

Post #32

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 23 by tam]

Why do you end your post 'your servent'. You arent writing to Jesus. You are speaking with us. Though there are dishes in the sink that I wouldnt mind a servent to tend to..

What do you mean "Jaheshua, not "Jesus"? Im guessing you called him Jesus for years. Whats up with that? I know you are comfortable saying your jesus' slave. By using his Hebrew name you realize you acknowkedge that you are worshipping a Jew. I have sometimes wondered if Christians could publically proclaim: i worship is a Jew.

If you want Jesus to have an authentic aire about him, okay. But Jesus didn't call Isaiah, Isaiah. Hed say YESHAYAHU. Call them all by their Hebrew names. Because it sounds pretentious when you Jew-up Jesus and forget the rest of the tribe. You have two now. Keep up the good work

Elijah John
Savant

Post #33

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 30 by Avoice]

I'm curious to get your perspective on Psalm 110. "The LORD said to my Lord..." The first "LORD" is YHVH, but who is the second? The Psalm is traditionally attributed by Christians to King David. If so, the second "Lord" they consider to be Jesus.

But what if the Psalm was mistakenly attributed to King David? Then the Psalm reads "The LORD (YHVH) said to my Lord (King David)…."

I doubt the Psalmist (whether David or someone else) was referring to Jesus in any way or stretch of prophecy.

Or is the second "Lord" simply referring to the Messiah, who is yet to come?

-YHVH is LORD

marco
Savant

Post #34

Post by marco »

Avoice wrote:

Why do you end your post 'your servent'. You arent writing to Jesus. You are speaking with us. Though there are dishes in the sink that I wouldnt mind a servent to tend to..

…………….. Because it sounds pretentious when you Jew-up Jesus and forget the rest of the tribe. You have two now. Keep up the good work

Moderator Comment

You are not required to offer posting advice to others. Address the posts and do what you can to enter relevant discussion. Tam can use whatever conventions she likes as can you provided they don't infringe rules on civility.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #35

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 27 by Elijah John]

How can we say that Jesus was wrong about the timing of the Apocalypse? I had thought that in previous discussions we had seen enough proof to show that Jesus knew it was a long way off. He indicated such in his parable at Matthew 25:19. Was he talking just to hear himself talk?

Then he showed the Apostle John some amazing visions, as we see in the book of Revelation. All of that was the end times. Much of it has been fulfilled, especially since the beginning of the 20th century, but we still have more to see fulfilled. There is the destruction of Babylon the Great and the final battle of Armageddon when Christ and his co-rulers and all the angels get rid of the wicked kings on the earth and their armies and all the people who chose to support them rather than God's Kingdom. (See Rev. 18:1-4; Rev.19:11-21.)

All that was prophesied by Jesus back in the 1st century. He wasn't wrong about the Apocalypse.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #36

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 35 by onewithhim]

By no means, on the contrary you and your fellow JWs and Evangelicals never convinced me that Jesus was not wrong in Matthew 16.28 and similar passages. In fact, many passages in many NT books indicate that the writers pretty much all expected the return of Christ in their own lifetimes. Centuries ago and many centuries later is not "soon". And Jesus, it seems, was no different in that regard. This has been demonstrated on many threads and posts on this site, but apparently to no avail, at least not yet. You simply repeat your end- times theology as though this had never happened, or you never read the evidence to the contrary.

And the Book of Revelation was not written for our present day. Historians believe it was written to encourage first century Christians under Roman persecution, and not for modern literalists who expect the "rapture" any day now. The bad guys in that cryptic, coded Book are not Ronald Reagan, not the Pope or the RCC, but Nero and the Romans. The "evil empire" of the day, and not just anyone who has 666 numerology contained within their names.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #37

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 35 by onewithhim]

Here are some of the passages I alluded to which establish a definite pattern that the NT authors expected the 2nd coming of Christ in the lifetimes of their contemporaries:

Matthew 16.28
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Hebrews 1.2
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
1John 2.18
Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
Matthew 26.64
Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you {Priest}, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.�
James 5.8-9
You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.
9 Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold,the Judge is standing at the door!
Revelation 1.1
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John,
Revelation 22.7
“Behold, I am coming quickly!

1Cor. 7.29
But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none,

1 Peter 1.20
He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times

1 Peter 4.7
But the end of all things is at hand ; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers.

etc.

See a pattern here? I do, the NT writers expected the 2nd coming in their own lifetimes or in the lifetimes of their contemporaries. Even the writer of Revelation believed he was in the "end times, or in the last days.
Last edited by Elijah John on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Correctly interpreted these scriptures do not support a first century return of Christ

• TRANSFIGURATION AUTUMN 32 CE

Matthew 16.28
    Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
    ♦ EXPLAINED
    Did Jesus indicate that his first century disciples would see him returned in Kingdom power? (Mark 9:1; Matthew 16: 27, 28; Luke 9: 27)
    http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 172#752172

PROPHECY

Matthew 26.64
    Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you {Priest}, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.�
    ♦ EXPLAINED
    But did not Jesus say (in Matthew 16 verse 27) that he would "repay everyone" in the lifetime of any of his listeners?
    http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 624#836624

Revelation 1.1
    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John,
    ♦ EXPLAINED: Prophecy
    Does every reference in the bible to "Last days" or "judgement" refer to Christ's second coming?

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 420#966420

Revelation 22.7
    “Behold, I am coming quickly!
    ♦ EXPLAINED: Prophecy
    Does every reference in the bible to "Last days" or "judgement" refer to Christ's second coming?

"LAST DAYS" OF THE JEWISH TEMPLE SYSTEM - 70 CE

James 5.8-9
    You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.
    9 Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold,the Judge is standing at the door!
    ♦ EXPLAINED

Hebrews 1.2
    Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    ♦ EXPLAINED

1Cor. 7.29
    But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none,
    ♦ EXPLAINED: End of the Jewsh System of things

1 Peter 1.20
    He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you

1 Peter 4.7
    But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers.

ADVENT OF THE ANTICHRIST - APPROX 65 - 100 CE

1John 2.18
    Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
    ♦ EXPLAINED

Elijah John wrote:See a pattern here? I do, the NT writers expected the 2nd coming in their own lifetimes or in the lifetimes of their contemporaries. Even the writer of Revelation believed he was in the "end times, or in the last days.

RESPONSE A typical "rookie" mistake is to believe every time they see the same or similar words, they MUST be referring to the same event; context is a bible students best friend.

RELATED POSTS

How long is "a short time"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 684#987684

Go to other posts related to...

MESSIANIC PROPHECY, LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *
*The Return of Christ
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 12 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Elijah John]
It is true that his apostles thought they would be alive:

Luk. 24:21 But we were hoping that this [man] was the one destined to deliver Israel; yes, and besides all these things, this makes the third day since these things occurred.

But Jesus knew very well that the end of the world system would not arrive when his apostles were alive:

Acts 1:6 So when they had assembled, they asked him: “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?� 7 He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction. 8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.�

Matt. 10:23 When they persecute you in one city, flee to another; for truly I say to you, you will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives.

When he said this:

Matt. 16:28 Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here who will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his Kingdom.�

... it is obvious to me that he didn't mean the contrary of what he said in other ocassions, but something different. The question we should ask is: what did he mean with that? and analize the question on the light of the Scriptures. One answer is: he would show his "coming in his Kingdom" somehow before it actually happens. Is that possible? Did this happen? YES:

1) Three of his apostles saw his glory in a vision:

Matt.17:2 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light.

... and Peter understood that meant what he said:

2 Pet. 1:16 No, it was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we acquainted YOU with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence. 17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: “This is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved.� 18 Yes, these words we heard borne from heaven while we were with him in the holy mountain.

2) John saw the coming of Christ in visions as recorded in the book of Revelation ...

They were convinced soon or later of what Jesus said, and Jehovah's witnesses know that what he said was totally true. Whatever you can think is not relevant to this matter.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #40

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Correctly interpreted these scriptures do not support a first century return of Christ

• TRANSFIGURATION AUTUMN 32 CE
I'm not going to debate by link. If you can, please attempt to refute or share your alternate interpretation for each one of these. Or, if you prefer, let's begin with one of your choosing.

-YHVH is LORD