JESUS IS NOT GOD

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

1) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

2) "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." (John 7:16)

3) "Neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42)

He replied, after the Pharisees accused him of making himself God:
4) "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the SON of God?" (John 10:36)

5) "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say....Whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak." (John 12:49,50)

6) To his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

7) "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God." (John 20:17)

To John in the Revelation:
8) "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God..." (Revelation 3:12)

Do these quotations show that Jesus was NOT God?

Do YOU believe that he claimed to be God?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1141

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:27 pm Peace to you,
Eloi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:04 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:11 am(...)
Jehovah's Witnesses do not need anyone's permission to name our Governing Body in any special way, such as teachers, leaders or parents, or however we decide.

It is true that Jesus said not to call anyone Leader , Lord, Father, Teacher, Shepherd, etc ... but he meant something else than just using those words with respect to other people, but rather the attitude involved in those titles.

Obviously all human beings, believers or not, Christians or not, Jehovah's Witnesses or not, call other people fathers, leaders, teachers, sir/mister, shepherd, etc. What Jesus meant is that we do not consider these people as our Father, Leader or Lord/Sir/Mister, Shepherd, Teacher, in an absolute sense.
Then you must find no problem with catholic priests being called "father". Otherwise it would be hypocrisy, right?
There is a problem. Catholics call their priests "Father" in the sense that they are literally holier than thou, even calling the pope "Holy Father." These are spiritually superior designations, placing these priests in the place that only the one true God should be. I don't know what hypocrisy you could be referring to.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1142

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #1141]

tam, are YOU ok with calling priests "father"?

tam
Savant

Post #1143

Post by tam »

Peace again to you,
onewithhim wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #1141]

Of course not.

Christ said not to do it. Just as He told His apostles that they were not to be called Leaders or Teachers, because they had one Leader and Teacher - He, Christ, Himself.

I would not call another man my leader or my teacher or my shepherd (especially not in a faith/spiritual sense). Christ is the (and my) Teacher, Leader, Shepherd, Master.

Peace again to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #1144

Post by WinkyDinky »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:26 pm I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

1) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

4) "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the SON of God?" (John 10:36)

5) "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say....Whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak." (John 12:49,50)

6) To his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

7) "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God." (John 20:17)

8) "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God..." (Revelation 3:12)

What is the reason you do not obey every commandment of Jesus Christ?

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #1145

Post by WinkyDinky »

tam wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:08 am Peace again to you,
onewithhim wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #1141]

Of course not.

Christ said not to do it. Just as He told His apostles that they were not to be called Leaders or Teachers, because they had one Leader and Teacher - He, Christ, Himself.

I would not call another man my leader or my teacher or my shepherd (especially not in a faith/spiritual sense). Christ is the (and my) Teacher, Leader, Shepherd, Master.

Peace again to you.
Are you aware of this verse in the bible
and how do you account for it within your own life?
Does this mean you do not have a pastor and submitted
yourself under his authority?

Hebrews
Chapter 13
17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves:
for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account,
that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1146

Post by onewithhim »

WinkyDinky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:01 am
onewithhim wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:26 pm I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

You neglected to answer the question---"do the quotations show that Jesus was God or that he was not God?"

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #1147

Post by WinkyDinky »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 pm

Jesus' words:

You neglected to answer the question---"do the quotations show that Jesus was God or that he was not God?"
The quotations show that He is the WORD. And the WORD is God.

MadJW
Student

Post #1148

Post by MadJW »

Jesus' words:

You have got it RIGHT!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1149

Post by onewithhim »

WinkyDinky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Jesus' words:

No, the Word is not THE God. The Word is a god. The article meaning "the" as in the one and only, is before the first "god" in the verse, but the second "god" has no article. To follow the rules of rendering Greek into English, we must simply add the "a" to the second god. We understand the verse to mean "the Word was with THE God, and the Word was [a] god." That is what John's audience understood "god" to mean---a highly regarded, powerful individual, just like judges or governors or angels. (See John 10:34-36 and Psalm 82:1,6 which Jesus was referring to.) Again, Jesus is a powerful, important person but not the God, which the Father is (John 17:3).

Jesus said this to his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3, KJV) It's pretty clear that Jesus distinguishes the only true God as different from himself. (If a person doesn't know the rules for translating Greek into English, there will always be confusion.) Whoever you are listening to doesn't know how to translate Greek into English.

WinkyDinky
Banned
Banned

Post #1150

Post by WinkyDinky »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:27 pm
WinkyDinky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Jesus' words:

No, the Word is not THE God. The Word is a god.
Look up the WORD " blasphemy ". To which there is no forgiveness.
You lost far more than just this debate.