JESUS IS NOT GOD

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

1) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

2) "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." (John 7:16)

3) "Neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42)

He replied, after the Pharisees accused him of making himself God:
4) "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the SON of God?" (John 10:36)

5) "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say....Whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak." (John 12:49,50)

6) To his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

7) "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God." (John 20:17)

To John in the Revelation:
8) "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God..." (Revelation 3:12)

Do these quotations show that Jesus was NOT God?

Do YOU believe that he claimed to be God?

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1521

Post by myth-one.com »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 am
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 amLet's use the correct definition -- not the "seems like" definition.
In the Victorian English of the Authorized Version, "replenish" means to fill, just like onewithhim said. It didn't mean "to fill again" until relatively recently. Here's a dictionary entry from the mid-1700s:

Good information.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:28 KJV)

Among all the different translations of Genesis 1:28 on BibleGateway.com, the word "replenish" is used 6 times, fill is used 49 times, and "multiply and fill" 5 times.

The very good earth which God created in the beginning had become void, empty, and dark, and needed a redoing of some sort. God returned, recreated the earth and created mortal mankind to multiply, fill, and maintain it that way.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1522

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm
Difflugia wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 am
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 amLet's use the correct definition -- not the "seems like" definition.
In the Victorian English of the Authorized Version, "replenish" means to fill, just like onewithhim said. It didn't mean "to fill again" until relatively recently. Here's a dictionary entry from the mid-1700s:

Good information.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:28 KJV)

Among all the different translations of Genesis 1:28 on BibleGateway.com, the word "replenish" is used 6 times, fill is used 49 times, and "multiply and fill" 5 times.

The very good earth which God created in the beginning had become void, empty, and dark, and needed a redoing of some sort. God returned, recreated the earth and created mortal mankind to multiply, fill, and maintain it that way.
The Scriptures don't say anything of the kind. The earth being empty and void was just the beginning of its creation. It was the START. From there God kept creating until the earth was prepared for humans to live and flourish here. There was no "re-doing." God told Adam to fill the earth, stock it....as the word "replenish" means.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1523

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:25 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm The very good earth which God created in the beginning had become void, empty, and dark, and needed a redoing of some sort. God returned, recreated the earth and created mortal mankind to multiply, fill, and maintain it that way.
The Scriptures don't say anything of the kind. The earth being empty and void was just the beginning of its creation. It was the START. From there God kept creating until the earth was prepared for humans to live and flourish here. There was no "re-doing."

Let me simplify it for you:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

The heaven and earth are completely created at this point. "Created" is past tense. It's a done deal.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. (Genesis 1:2)

The earth created in Genesis 1:1 is described as without form, and void, and dark after being created in verse 1.

Which verse do you not believe, and why?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1524

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm The very good earth which God created in the beginning had become void, empty, and dark, and needed a redoing of some sort. God returned, recreated the earth and created mortal mankind to multiply, fill, and maintain it that way.
The Scriptures don't say anything of the kind. The earth being empty and void was just the beginning of its creation. It was the START. From there God kept creating until the earth was prepared for humans to live and flourish here. There was no "re-doing."

The heaven and earth are completely created at this point. "Created" is past tense. It's a done deal.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. (Genesis 1:2)

The earth created in Genesis 1:1 is described as without form, and void, and dark after being created in verse 1.

Why can't you see that the earth started out as void and dark but God kept on creating and the earth became more and more perfect. It's like you take a lump of clay and proceed to create a vase. You start with the formless LUMP, right? You take the lump and keep working on it until it becomes a vase sometime later. The same with the earth.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1525

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:39 am
myth-one.com wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 pm

Why can't you see that the earth started out as void and dark but God kept on creating and the earth became more and more perfect.

Because every thing God created was seen to be very good by God:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:31)
onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:39 am It's like you take a lump of clay and proceed to create a vase. You start with the formless LUMP, right?
Where did the formless lump of clay come from?

So in the beginning there was a lump of clay -- that's funny.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1526

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #1525]

It was just an illustration. ;)

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1527

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:48 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #1525]

Get serious for a few minutes.

Did God create the earth as very good from scratch?

Yes or no?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1528

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:15 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:48 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #1525]

Yes or no?
Yes.

He continued to work on it for billions of years and it came out as very good when He was finished.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1529

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm

Yes or no?
Yes.

He continued to work on it for billions of years and it came out as very good when He was finished.
If He created it very good in the beginning, then His alleged continuing to work on it for billions of years produced absolutely no improvements.

It was still very good.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1530

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:49 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm

Yes or no?
Yes.

If He created it very good in the beginning, then His alleged continuing to work on it for billions of years produced absolutely no improvements.

It was still very good.
I still don't understand your viewpoint, but you are entitled to your opinion.