Is it possible to do greater things than Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Is it possible to do greater things than Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Assuming, as many on this forum assert, that Jesus was just a man, is it possible to do greater things than Jesus? This question is based on a quote from Albert Einstein. This quote should not be taken as authoritative simply because it is from Einstein. It is presented as a statement for discussion.
  • "It is quite possible that we can do greater things than Jesus, for what is written in the Bible about him is poetically embellished."
    - Albert Einstein

Calaprice, Alice (2011). The Ultimate Quotable Einstein. Princeton: Princeton University Press, p. 337.
If Jesus was just a man, what would stop another human from exceeding his works?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Can it be established what Jesus actually did, if anything, other than wander around preaching?

There are stories about demons into swine, walking on water, calming a storm by command, raising the dead, etc. Are any of the stories true?

Since what he 'did' is only in unverified stories, he is easily outdone by bigger unverified stories -- no need to do anything, just tell stories.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Can it be established what Jesus actually did, if anything, other than wander around preaching?
That's a good question. Can we even establish that he wandered around preaching?

There are stories about demons into swine, walking on water, calming a storm by command, raising the dead, etc. Are any of the stories true?
These would certainly apply to the poetic embellishment Einstein spoke of.

Since what he 'did' is only in unverified stories, he is easily outdone by bigger unverified stories -- no need to do anything, just tell stories.
The trick here is to get followers to tell these unverified stories long after one has died. That may in fact be Jesus' greatest accomplishment. Of course given that his followers did it, it can't actually be credited to him.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Re: Is it possible to do greater things than Jesus?

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: … is it possible to do greater things than Jesus? …
Jesus said:

… Most assuredly I tell you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these will he do…
John 14:10-14

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: … is it possible to do greater things than Jesus? …
Jesus said:

… Most assuredly I tell you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these will he do…
John 14:10-14
You didn't answer the question you quoted. Is this your agreement that it is indeed possible to do greater things than Jesus? If so, what makes Jesus special in any way?

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote: .
Assuming, as many on this forum assert, that Jesus was just a man, is it possible to do greater things than Jesus? This question is based on a quote from Albert Einstein. This quote should not be taken as authoritative simply because it is from Einstein. It is presented as a statement for discussion.
  • "It is quite possible that we can do greater things than Jesus, for what is written in the Bible about him is poetically embellished."
    - Albert Einstein

Calaprice, Alice (2011). The Ultimate Quotable Einstein. Princeton: Princeton University Press, p. 337.
If Jesus was just a man, what would stop another human from exceeding his works?

Tcg
That all depends if you think some people are better then others because they do certain things that others dont...

I dont believe that... Sure give the guy a trophies or a metal or something for his actions or service, however, we're all pretty much the same... Idolizing a human over another human is kind of not good... Instead, I think we should go be friends with poor people...

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
That all depends if you think some people are better then others because they do certain things that others dont...

I dont believe that... Sure give the guy a trophies or a metal or something for his actions or service, however, we're all pretty much the same... Idolizing a human over another human is kind of not good... Instead, I think we should go be friends with poor people...
Your reply as rather vague. Do you or do you not accept that we can do greater things than Jesus?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Your reply as rather vague. Do you or do you not accept that we can do greater things than Jesus?

Tcg
Tcg i would really love to get across to you what i believe, yet i just dont think it is possible. It is an impossible feat to do so.

So yes, if someone was able to convey to Tcg exactly what i believe when i post words, then that might be the greatest accomplishment of all time

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Tcg
Tcg i would really love to get across to you what i believe, yet i just dont think it is possible. It is an impossible feat to do so.

So yes, if someone was able to convey to Tcg exactly what i believe when i post words, then that might be the greatest accomplishment of all time
If then one could achieve what you claim might be the greatest accomplishment of all time, would that be doing greater things than Jesus? If not, what is its relevance to this thread?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Tcg

If then one could achieve what you claim might be the greatest accomplishment of all time, would that be doing greater things than Jesus? If not, what is its relevance to this thread?

Tcg
Idk Tcg... you stumped me... I... Just.... dont know....

"Just like his post" (i think to myself)