Why is communication with God one way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why is communication with God one way?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Communication with the Christian deity seems one directional. If we try many times to contact someone and get no answer what should we assume?
The person is annoyed with us? The person has gone or is dead? Our method of contact is faulty - maybe a wrong number?

In the case of God what is the explanation for communication being only one way?

Avoice
Guru

Re: Why is communication with God one way?

Post #21

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 8 by marco]

Why did we go to the gas chambers? The fault of the Jews? Re-think that. We suffered fir your niquities. Not you oer se. People hated us because we refuse to let go of the Torah. Thats the only thing that makes us different. We dont love money any more than anyone else or whatever pretext people use for hating us. We suffer for the sins of the world. That's why we went in the gas chamber.

If the world could just be free of God then no one would be sinners. But those Jews are a constant reminder of what the world should be doing. Yes, they put us in the gas chamber but in reality it is God they put in there. People dont really hate us. Its the message we bring. If God would just go away and take his laws with him THEN there would be no sin in the world.

The very fact that we are a thorn in the side of gentiles should tell the gentiles something. If the Jews are wrong why should they care to be so determined to get rid of us? I don't see Protestants or Catholics putting Hindus in gas chambers

Yes, we are the suffering servant. Why even one of our own had to die for them to believe in God. No matter hiw they slice it - they need us, we don't need them. No problem, thsts why we are here. To serve God

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to post 20]

Avoice: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.

William: How is one different from the other, when the OPQ is specifically asking "Why is communication with God one way?" and "what is the explanation for communication being only one way."

marco appears clearly to be asking "Why does God not commune with the individual directly?" and the Hebrew bible, just like the Christian bible, cannot provide that type of communion, for these are books, not God.

Avoice:If he spoke directly to me or you then the element of faith would be gone thats for sure.

William: And who is to say he is limited to merely speaking in order to communicate with anyone?
Too be sure, faith would at least shift, if it did not cease altogether under such circumstances.

Avoice: To have faith requires some amount of doubt.

William: And to cease from needing faith, one requires no doubt whatsoever...

Avoice: Christians only believe in God because of Jesus (physical being) had they ACTUALLY belived in God himself Jesus wouldn't have been necessary for them.

William: Apparently the God of The Jews did not have the capability to get the non-Jews to notice him as anything more that a God of Warriors and that was enough for them to put on a show of strength as to how easy it was to tear down the Jews most Holy Place leaving not one stone atop another.

This showed the world that - at least as a Warrior-God - the Jewish God was no match for the other Gods of the non-Jewish people.

Avoice: Their holy book would be the Hebrew Scriptures. But it isnt. Not really.

William: I have not confirmed it, so correct me if I am wrong - The Holy Book of Israel was confiscated by the Flavian Dynasty after they had dealt with The Temple. This is where they got their ideas from, with the help of Jews who turned out to be tired of the Failures of Warfare the Jewish God had involved them in and so changed sides in support of the non-Jews, helping the non'Jews to understand the Confiscated Holy Script of The Jews, so they could use it to their advantage.

Avoice: Why it even says " by him [Jesus] do believe in God. Christians have faith in Jesus. They dont have the faith of Abraham though the Christian testament tries to say it does

William: "To The Victor The Spoils Belong."

Avoice: "CURSED IS THE MAN THAT MAKETH FLESH HIS ARM AND WHOSE HEART DEPARTETH FROM THE LORD"

William: Which goes a long way to explain why the Jews shouldn't have made a Warrior-God out of YHVH...they lost the battle of the flesh resoundingly.
Complaining about it some 2000 years later, doesn't change that fact. The Jews betrayed YHVH just once too often and YHVH was happy to let their precious Temple be reverse engineered.

Suck it up and cease complaining about how Christians hi'jacked your own false idea of God YHVH The Supreme Warrior and actually Incorporated that into their own mythology..

Two False Gods don't make a Real One.

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

Avoice wrote:

The very fact that we are a thorn in the side of gentiles should tell the gentiles something. If the Jews are wrong why should they care to be so determined to get rid of us? I don't see Protestants or Catholics putting Hindus in gas chambers

Yes, we are the suffering servant. Why even one of our own had to die for them to believe in God. No matter hiw they slice it - they need us, we don't need them. No problem, this is why we are here. To serve God
We are wandering a little from the OP but your points deserve an answer. As I said I have profound admiration and sympathy for Israel. Through the ages Jews have been shunned (even Shakespeare joined the party in his Merchant of Venice where Shylock curses: "I hate him for he is a Christian.... and lends out money gratis...." For the cause of this hostility we must consult Matthew, not the best dispenser of truth:

"Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children."

Matthew 27:25 (KJV)

Christians did not instigate the Holocaust: evil people did, but I agree Matthew contributed. Pius xii, referred to as Hitler's Pope because he was not SEEN to help the Jewish cause has been found to have helped thousands of Jews escape, sometimes concealing them in his monasteries and supplying false visas.

There are good and bad people in all walks of life Avoice. Go well.

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: …The state of affairs seems to be that people send messages but there are never any replies….
Bible has this promise:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

That is why, when I was young, I prayed that God would give me wisdom. Now, how can you say God didn’t answer to that?
marco wrote:You seem to be saying that some replies are answered, some are not, and it really depends on the way the letter, email, request or prayer is written…
I am saying, if I don’t really know what is asked and what has happened, there is no way for me to know was it answered and if not, why not. For me, it would be too dishonest to say God never answers, if I really don’t know what has happened.

marco
Savant

Post #25

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

That is why, when I was young, I prayed that God would give me wisdom. Now, how can you say God didn’t answer to that?
Only you can answer that question, 1213. As a little boy I asked that I would always be able to sing hymns. I forgot to add: "with conviction." Lady Sophia is an elusive being who seems to visit only after years of application and study. If God gave you a short-cut, I am impressed.
1213 wrote:

I am saying, if I don’t really know what is asked and what has happened, there is no way for me to know was it answered and if not, why not. For me, it would be too dishonest to say God never answers, if I really don’t know what has happened.
Perhaps we get what we deserve. I think lots of little boys have found stones after they prayed, so even the presence of a few crumbs might be worth a thank you. From what I observe God has donated to you an uncommon amount of goodness. Go well.

Menotu
Sage

Post #26

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

Not sure about everyone else, but when I talk to a wall, it's not often the wall talks back.
Maybe that's what's going on here?
If it helps, that's great. But I wonder how many get help from a 'talking wall'?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: That is why, when I was young, I prayed that God would give me wisdom. Now, how can you say God didn’t answer to that?
If you are about average in 'wisdom', what were you (or would you be) without that which you claim to have been 'given by God'?

Is it possible that an Atheist is wiser than you?

If so, were they given more wisdom by God or were they ahead on their own?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

marco
Savant

Post #28

Post by marco »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

Not sure about everyone else, but when I talk to a wall, it's not often the wall talks back.
Maybe that's what's going on here?
If it helps, that's great. But I wonder how many get help from a 'talking wall'?
Well I guess not many people talk to walls, Menotu but you get the occasional response in an echo.

The other advantage a wall has over the deity is you know it's there.

Avoice
Guru

Post #29

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 6 by William]

One letter makes a difference. I meant to type 'your' not our. Yikes. I must fix that.

Maybe he doesnt speak in the Christian Testament because he has seen what they have done with what he said in the Hebrew Scriptures. THEY STOLE HIS WORDS AND INSERTED THEIR OWN. They stole from him and changed the message he was conveying. And since no passage is credited to him in their testament (unless quoting or rather misquoting from the Heb Scripts. Where it specifically says 'a voice' they say its Gods voice. And the anonymous voice speaks about an unidentified person. Guess who the unidentified person is? Why it is Jesus!! All the evidence suggests it cant be God. People who heard this voice described it. One said it thundered. Another said it sounded like an angel. NO ONE SAID IT WAS GOD. IF IT WAS GOD THEY WOULD HAVE SAID SO. Yet Christians say it was God. What?? They know more about the voice than those who were there? They said it was like an angel. God is not an angel. CHRISTIANITY IS BASED ON LIES. FULFILLED PROPHECIES ARE BASED ON LIES. THE NAMES OF THE GOSPEL AUTHORS ARE LIES. THEIR TRUTH REQUIRES LIES AND MANIPULATION OF THE HEBREW BIBLE AND EVEN THEIR OWN TESTAMENT. CHRISTIANITY CAN NOT STAND ON TRUTH

"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces. Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that steal my words every one from his neighbour. Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the Lord, that use their tongues, and say, He saith."

Saith the Lord.. Saith the Lord.... No anonymous voice here.

marco
Savant

Post #30

Post by marco »

Avoice wrote:

Maybe he doesnt speak in the Christian Testament because he has seen what they have done with what he said in the Hebrew Scriptures.
You paint a picture of a very small god, much concerned with "Hebrew Scriptures". Is the voice that boomed greetings to his "beloved son" any different from the ogre that bullies Moses or the beneficent Inti of the Incas or amorous old Jupiter of Rome?

In many ways the gods of Aztecs, Incas, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians or Norsemen are richer, more beautifully designed than the silly being that gets jealous, has tantrums, changes his mind- "er, why did I create man?" - or plays hide and seek with absurd Adam the gardener.

Laugh if you like at Jesus taking an invisible elevator to heaven or neatly folding his funeral garments before taking a taxi to town but smile, too, at the giant that steps on to a mountain with a couple of big stones on which he has carved out commands with his own fingers, stones - would you believe it? - that have vanished from planet Earth. As if!