Why is communication with God one way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why is communication with God one way?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Communication with the Christian deity seems one directional. If we try many times to contact someone and get no answer what should we assume?
The person is annoyed with us? The person has gone or is dead? Our method of contact is faulty - maybe a wrong number?

In the case of God what is the explanation for communication being only one way?

Savant

Re: Why is communication with God one way?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: …If you are about average in 'wisdom', what were you (or would you be) without that which you claim to have been 'given by God'?
I thought I was very stupid an unwise, when I was a child, but for example I wanted to understand what is meant in the Bible. But, I think this is not about how wise I am. The question is, could you know did God answer to my question. And it seems to me that you have no way to know it.
Zzyzx wrote:Is it possible that an Atheist is wiser than you?
I think very wise person would not say God doesn’t exist. But, maybe atheists are wiser than me. I don’t have measure to check how wise other people truly are.
Zzyzx wrote:If so, were they given more wisdom by God or were they ahead on their own?
I think all abilities are from God directly or indirectly.

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: …Only you can answer that question, 1213. As a little boy I asked that I would always be able to sing hymns. I forgot to add: "with conviction." Lady Sophia is an elusive being who seems to visit only after years of application and study. If God gave you a short-cut, I am impressed.
Hopefully you can still enjoy the hymns. It is interesting question, what is short cut, and does it make any difference, if the wisdom has come in longer time period. I never gave delivery date, so God could still be waiting. Nice thing is that I feel that I have had what I asked always when I have needed it. And I think it has been like road sign for me for right direction. But, I also understand that one could as well claim “no you don’t� or “you had that without God�. That is why the question of, did God answer, is interesting, I think it could be believed, but I don’t think you can know it.
marco wrote:Perhaps we get what we deserve. I think lots of little boys have found stones after they prayed, so even the presence of a few crumbs might be worth a thank you. From what I observe God has donated to you an uncommon amount of goodness. Go well.
Thank you.

I think this God answering to requests can be compared to stories about genie in a bottle that fulfils wishes. There are many funny versions of it how that what people ask, is fulfilled in a way that the person didn’t really want. God is not genie in a bottle, but similarly, maybe not all wishes are what is good for us. I don’t believe God fulfils wishes that are not good, or that are not for good purpose. And sometimes the answer may sound bad at first, but later it can be one of the best things that happened. This is why, if one feels God didn’t answer, I would recommend to think, was the question really good and for good. If it was, I believe God will deliver good, or even better.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: …If you are about average in 'wisdom', what were you (or would you be) without that which you claim to have been 'given by God'?
I thought I was very stupid an unwise, when I was a child, but for example I wanted to understand what is meant in the Bible. But, I think this is not about how wise I am. The question is, could you know did God answer to my question.
Humans tend to be unwise as children. Most gain some wisdom with maturity – no gods required; just experience in the world we inhabit.
1213 wrote: And it seems to me that you have no way to know it.
It seems as though YOU have no way of knowing that a ‘god’ gave you wisdom.
1213 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:Is it possible that an Atheist is wiser than you?
I think very wise person would not say God doesn’t exist.
Which god? There are thousands to be considered.

Most theists seem to fixate on one favorite god, three of them, or several – often labeling competing gods as ‘false’.

Perhaps if they were wise they would acknowledge that other gods may exist and may be equal to or greater than their favorite (since there is no known way to verify existence or capabilities of any ‘gods’). Note: personal delusions of knowledge about supernatural entities are not indication of truth and accuracy.
1213 wrote: But, maybe atheists are wiser than me. I don’t have measure to check how wise other people truly are.
Then it would be foolish to claim to have been given wisdom by an invisible, undetectable, proposed supernatural entity.
1213 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:If so, were they given more wisdom by God or were they ahead on their own?
I think all abilities are from God directly or indirectly.
Can you SHOW that is true? Personal, unsubstantiated beliefs are worth nothing in debate.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Danmark »

Avoice wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

Because the line has been cut. That's why. Understand...The God of Israel does not support Christianity. He is not a part of it. Christians just believe he is. But if they spoke absolute truth they would have to say that they dont know whose voice is at that baptism or on the mountain with the disciples.

Christians will come up with all sorts of somersaults and reasons why the God of Israel doesnt talk in their testament. They need his endorsement otherwise they are idoloters.

No Christian has enough truth in them to honestly speak these words: God does not speak in our bible. He only speaks in the Hebrew bible.
"Christians just believe he is."
How is this sentiment true for believers of the New Testament, but not true of believers of the Jewish Bible?
Don't both groups "just believe 'God' is speaking to them? How is one group correct and honest and the other incorrect or dishonest?

And how is Christianity not a Jewish sect? It was started by Jews who claimed to be faithful to the God of Abraham and claimed to follow His Law. Why is your claim superior to theirs?

If God spoke to people in the Torah and the entire Jewish Bible, why did he stop in 1312 BCE or 130 BCE?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Danmark »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses I have abslutely no proof to offer except the testimony of my personal experience.

Biblically God communicates with his people primarily
  • - through his written word the bible
    - by means of his organization
    - through fellow worshippers
    - by holy spirit
    - by direct intervention
Then why are the words of scripture the only one 'his people' all agree on?
And why did he speak to 'his people' via scripture 2000 or 3000 years ago, and then stop suddenly? Did people suddenly become so honest and reliable that now God trusts THEM to honestly convey his word? :D

The Holy Spirit seems to speak to a lot of people in a lot of different versions of Christianity, and about 99.65% of them report the Holy Spirit says JW's are wrong and don't speak for him.

Savant

Post #36

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: …
Which god? There are thousands to be considered.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I am speaking of Bible God.
Zzyzx wrote:…
Perhaps if they were wise they would acknowledge that other gods may exist and may be equal to or greater than their favorite (since there is no known way to verify existence or capabilities of any ‘gods’). Note: personal delusions of knowledge about supernatural entities are not indication of truth and accuracy…
Isn’t all “knowledge� someone’s personal knowledge? What is nonpersonal knowledge?

It may be that other gods exist or have existed. However, they have nothing meaningful to say and therefore they are irrelevant.
Zzyzx wrote:
1213 wrote: But, maybe atheists are wiser than me. I don’t have measure to check how wise other people truly are.
Then it would be foolish to claim to have been given wisdom by an invisible, undetectable, proposed supernatural entity….
I don’t claim I got more wisdom than any other human. The wisdom of other people has really nothing to do with did God give wisdom or not.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #37

Post by Diagoras »

1213 wrote:It may be that other gods exist or have existed. However, they have nothing meaningful to say and therefore they are irrelevant.
Very interesting that you think this.

If other gods exist now, then why does (your) God allow them? Where are they? Presumably not allowed in heaven, so are they in hell?

And if they don’t exist any more, when and how do you think they ‘disappeared’? Did your god kill them all somehow? Or do you suppose that the number of people who believed in them reduced to zero, so as purely imagined gods, they simply ceased to exist? If so, could that happen with your god - if somehow all christians ceased to believe?

I’m also slightly bemused by the “they have nothing meaningful to say� comment. Does this mean that they do in fact say at least something? Or was it just a figure of speech? Have you considered the possibility that maybe you’re not listening to them carefully enough, or ever praying to them - and that’s why they aren’t bothering to talk to you ‘meaningfully’?

Today’s a Tuesday, which is named in honour of Tyr, the Norse god of war. Maybe we should all offer a prayer to Tyr for those engaged in, or caught up in the various ongoing wars around the world? Or maybe, those wars are Tyr’s very clear and meaningful message to us all, which we sadly don’t heed or understand?

I find that ideas get very confusing and strange when there’s multiple gods to think about.

otseng
Savant

Post #38

Post by otseng »

Avoice wrote: No Christian has enough truth in them to honestly speak these words: God does not speak in our bible.
Moderator Comment

Please do not make negative, general statements about an entire group of people.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Savant

Post #39

Post by 1213 »

Diagoras wrote: …If other gods exist now, then why does (your) God allow them? Where are they?
I think you should ask that from those who claim there are other gods. I only say, it may be possible, because I have no means to prove they don’t exist, or have not existed. For me it is also irrelevant, because they have nothing meaningful to say to me and I wouldn’t want to keep them as my god anyway.
Diagoras wrote: And if they don’t exist any more, when and how do you think they ‘disappeared’? Did your god kill them all somehow? Or do you suppose that the number of people who believed in them reduced to zero, so as purely imagined gods, they simply ceased to exist? If so, could that happen with your god - if somehow all christians ceased to believe?
Bible tells about other gods:

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

Maybe the other gods have died on their own, because they are not like the one and only true God who according to the Bible is Spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

I don’t think Bible God is imaginary and would cease to exist, if people would not believe.
Diagoras wrote:I’m also slightly bemused by the “they have nothing meaningful to say� comment. Does this mean that they do in fact say at least something? Or was it just a figure of speech? Have you considered the possibility that maybe you’re not listening to them carefully enough, or ever praying to them - and that’s why they aren’t bothering to talk to you ‘meaningfully’?
Bible God has told what will happen and also has the teaching for good life. And that information is for all people and I think most, if not all have the possibility to hear it. The other gods have nothing like that. That is why I say they have nothing meaningful to say.
Diagoras wrote:Maybe we should all offer a prayer to Tyr for those engaged in, or caught up in the various ongoing wars around the world?
Why? Has he asked that? No, I wouldn’t pray him, because I am not going to keep him as my god. He is basically like an ordinary man. If I would keep him as my god, I could as well keep any other human also god. I think it would be stupid.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Danmark »

1213 wrote: Bible tells about other gods:

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

Maybe the other gods have died on their own, because they are not like the one and only true God who according to the Bible is Spirit and love.
Thanks for this. I hadn't thought about this in a long time. As a child I was struck by the verses from Exodus,
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God....

This seemed to contradict the doctrine that there is only one God, classic monotheism. Christianity is considered blasphemous by some because of its Trinitarian doctrine.
But of course these verses are in the Torah.

And they contradict Genesis which declares there was nothing, the world without form and void before God created it and the heavens. So how could other gods even arise? Did God create them? And if so why? Why would he be jealous of other gods if they don't exist or if HE created them. Never made sense to me.

I get the idea that the intent of the commandment is that people should not worship FALSE gods, that it is the idea of allegiances to other things, ideas, beliefs is the intent of the passage, but that's not what it says. Certainly the Jewish Bible is largely allegorical, but why phrase it in such a way.

[I guess this is off the subject of the OP, so perhaps it should be in a new thread]
[edit] viewtopic.php?p=991118#991118