Christmas - Would Jesus Celebrate it?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Christmas - Would Jesus Celebrate it?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

It cannot be denied that there are some good behaviors that Christmas is supposed and many times does stir in people. Loving, giving and helping the less fortunate.

While there is nothing against these things in the Bible, in fact these things are highly encouraged. Still, there are many things in Christmas that it is widely known are not scriptural, but quite pagan.

For debate, if Christmas was around during Jesus' day would he have taken part in it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Christmas - Would Jesus Celebrate it?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

Unlikely, since much of the religious symbolism is associated with pagan religious ritual. Scripturd jas never sanctioned the idea that a pagan ritual is sanctified if a Christian does it.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

Doubtful, but not really for the reasons JW's might claim. Jesus was a Jew. Jesus would observe Jewish holidays. Christmas wasn't then, nor is it now, a Jewish holiday.

Also, if Christmas were around in Jesus' day, it would have only been a celebration of his birthday, attended perhaps by family, friends and immediate disciples. ;) It would not have been a liturgical holiday.

And it would not have been called "Christmas", which means "Christ Mass". The Mass was not around in that day and age, as you know.

It would have only been called "Jesus' birthday".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 3 by Elijah John]

Yes but what was to stop a Jew from celebrating Saturnalia, one wouldnt have had to be Roman to celebrate Roman holidays? Do you not think he would have joined in to be social ? One doesnt have to believe in Pagan festivals to enjoy a good meal and a piece of cake.

Jesus was not a man to hold to social norms just because of the accident of his birth.if Jesus didnt join in Pagan festivals there was more to it than them not being Jewish holy days. If not I shall in future tell people that ask I dont celebrate Christmas because it is not a Jehovahs Witness celebration and that should be considered a completely satifactory reason.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

Probably not in as much as the date was annexed from pagan beliefs in order to support the Christian belief. He might have chosen another day. But surely JC could cut loose and party a bit, yeah? At least I'd like to think so.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Elijah John wrote: Doubtful, but not really for the reasons JW's might claim.
I'm interested to learn what you think those reasons are.
Jesus was a Jew. Jesus would observe Jewish holidays. Christmas wasn't then, nor is it now, a Jewish holiday.

Also, if Christmas were around in Jesus' day, it would have only been a celebration of his birthday, attended perhaps by family, friends and immediate disciples. ;) It would not have been a liturgical holiday.

And it would not have been called "Christmas", which means "Christ Mass". The Mass was not around in that day and age, as you know.

It would have only been called "Jesus' birthday".
As I said in the OP, IF the holiday was celebrated. It's a hypothetical question. There really is no need to explain why Christmas wouldn't have been celebrated in Jesus day.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

Probably not in as much as the date was annexed from pagan beliefs in order to support the Christian belief. He might have chosen another day. But surely JC could cut loose and party a bit, yeah? At least I'd like to think so.
Which brings up an interesting point. Why do you think is there no date of Jesus' birthday mentioned in the Bible? Also, could Christmas be considered a form of worship?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Elijah John]

Yes but what was to stop a Jew from celebrating Saturnalia, one wouldnt have had to be Roman to celebrate Roman holidays? Do you not think he would have joined in to be social ? One doesnt have to believe in Pagan festivals to enjoy a good meal and a piece of cake.

Jesus was not a man to hold to social norms just because of the accident of his birth.if Jesus didnt join in Pagan festivals there was more to it than them not being Jewish holy days. If not I shall in future tell people that ask I dont celebrate Christmas because it is not a Jehovahs Witness celebration and that should be considered a completely satifactory reason.
Yes, just because one was Jewish isn't a good reason to celebrate or not celebrate something. This is why when someone asks me why I don't celebrate Christmas I don't answer, "Because I'm a Jehovah's Witness". Because what does that even mean to a person? That is not an explanation and I like you JW, would view it as an unsatisfying answer if I was the person asking. I encourage my Bible studies to never answer that way. But to be prepared to make a kind but firm scriptural defense.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by bjs »

This does seem tough to answer since, as EJ pointed out, in Jesus’ day it would have just been called “Jesus’ birthday.� Birthdays were certainly celebrated in Jesus’ day.

But I think what you are getting at is if Jesus would celebrate using customs that had pagan origins. That is hard to say with certainty. Jesus honored the sanctity of God, but he was for more concerned with the heart than with legalistic observance of the law. Honestly, the way that we answer this question probably reveals more about us than it does about Jesus.

I will point out that most modern Christmas traditions don’t have pagan origins. Hanging mistletoe seems to be the only Christmas tradition popular in modern America that has pagan origins, and I can’t remember the last time I saw real mistletoe

Evergreen plants had symbolic meaning in many cultures, but the specific Christmas tree was started by German Christians in the 1600’s. Going out to sings songs of joy (Christmas Caroling) is scriptural. Some traditions, like exchanging gifts and decorating the home, are so universal that they can’t be traced to any specific culture, pagan or otherwise. They were practiced in Jewish culture prior to Jesus’ birth. Decorating with lights came about because one guy working in Thomas Edison’s company thought that the lights on a telephone switch board looked pretty, and so he used that as a way to publicize Edison’s company.

So, can we at least agree that Jesus would celebrate many Christmas traditions if we leave off the mistletoe?

Oh, and the Christmas ham. Jesus was an observant Jew and probably would not have eaten pork.
Last edited by bjs on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
So, can we at least agree that Jesus would celebrate many Christmas traditions if we leave off the mistletoe?

Oh, and the ham. Jesus was an observant Jew and probably would not have eaten pork.
If the gospel Mark is accurate, he may have enjoyed bacon with his Christmas breakfast and ham for diner:
  • Mark 7:17 After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18 “Are you so dull?â€� he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.â€� (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)
Given his understanding that it is the heart that matters, I doubt mistletoe would have bothered him much. Who knows, he may have collected a few holy kisses himself.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom