Why the need to be sheep and child like?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Clownboat
Savant

Why the need to be sheep and child like?

Post #1

Post by Clownboat »

viewtopic.php?t=36551&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50
"Like I said, only 8 people were saved during the flood, which indicates the bible God is concerned with quality over quantity."

Is being childlike or like a sheep a needed attribute to believe such a claim like the one above? I ask, because of the response that came from someone that does not embrace being like a child or sheep.

"Quality? Noah get's drunk shortly after the flood, goes to bed naked, and then curses his son for noticing. Certainly God could have picked a better crew if quality were his goal." - Tcg

I cannot un-see this response, so I'm wondering if being childlike or sheep like is the attribute that is needed in order to more or less ignore this reasoned response so a person can continue to make unjustified conclusions about a god being concerned with quality or whatever attribute they are placing on their god concept.

Is encouraging someone to be childlike or to be like a sheep not similar to telling them "don't think about it"? Especially if those words came from the person claiming to be their shephard.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Why the need to be sheep and child like?

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

Clownboat wrote: As a former childlike sheep of 2 decades, it was my experience that this childlike and sheep like behavior that is encouraged from the mouths of pastors sheds more understanding on Christianity than you would like to acknowledge.
My experience was having pastors take a verse out of context (for example) to bolster their weekly sermon. No good sheep would question their shephard.
I'm sorry if you had a bad pastor as your example...but where indeed are the good ones? All are sinful and gone astray...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Stubborness is generally associated with other animals such as goats or mules.
Now I do have experience of goats (not mules) and I rate them as highly intelligent with a mean, not just mischievous streak, but a real ornery stubborn streak. That is why they serve as the symbol for those who repudiated YHWH as a false god and a liar and, representing the demonic angels living as humans, are doomed.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Stubborness is generally associated with other animals such as goats or mules.
Stubbornness is also associated with H. sapiens animals – often with negative implications.

However, what appears as stubborn to one person may appear to be strength of conviction to another. If a person refuses to admit that tales of talking donkeys, someone living in a fish for days, long-dead bodies coming back to life, etc, are they stubborn or are they ‘strong in their faith’?

If a person refuses to believe unverified tales about leprechauns, fairies, demons, gods, etc, are they being stubborn? Or are they being rational?

ttruscott wrote: Now I do have experience of goats (not mules) and I rate them as highly intelligent with a mean, not just mischievous streak, but a real ornery stubborn streak.
Domesticated sheep and goats are very different from their non-domesticated / ‘wild’ cousins.

Domestic goats tend to be more difficult to contain and to herd than domestic sheep. The latter may be preferable to those who wish to keep them in enclosures or to move them in desired directions.
ttruscott wrote: That is why they serve as the symbol for those who repudiated YHWH as a false god and a liar and, representing the demonic angels living as humans, are doomed.
Yes, people who are easily contained and herded appear to be analogous to sheep – and those inclined to follow their own decisions and paths may appear to be analogous to goats (or even mountain goats).

Setting aside such analogies and using applicable descriptive terms: Some humans in every culture are independent thinkers – who prefer to live by their own decisions; often accepting a level of risk. Some humans prefer to stay within the boundaries of a chosen group and avoid the risk of independence.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence