Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Did Paul Hallucinate the Resurrection?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

Did Paul Hallucinate the Resurrection? If you believe that. How could you not be sure, that you aren't hallucinating this moment in time?

Did Paul Hallucinate the Resurrection? Or did you hallucinate that idea in your head? Or have you hallucinated anything, you believe to be true? Or is this question a hallucination? Or is any experience a hallucination? Or is existence itself a hallucination?

It's funny, science is telling us that things pop into existence only when we observe them...

"Does Quantum Physics Confirm The Occult?"

(So they say)... I'sn't it funny? What if you never observed that video? Oooo.lol

I suppose we could even get down right crazy here... What if Paul's observation, made Christianity objectively true? Like i suppose, perhaps, your observation of you life, made your experiences objectively true?

marco
Savant

Re: Did Paul Hallucinate the Resurrection?

Post #2

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]

I don't see how anyone can "hallucinate" a resurrection, Tart. It is an "after-event" and Paul wasn't there.

If his Damascus experience is not just a lie, then the probability is he did have some hallucination. Blinding light is possibly the sun and the voices were his fevered brain working overtime.

Some years ago an unusual event took place just a few miles from where I stayed. The man involved swore that he saw an alien craft in the middle of woods and he lost consciousness. A policeman friend who investigated the event confirmed huge tracks had been made, as if by a bulldozer or heavy machine, but there was no access and no record of any airplanes at the time. A mystery, like Paul's but on this occasion God wasn't called as a witness.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

marco wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tart]

I don't see how anyone can "hallucinate" a resurrection, Tart. It is an "after-event" and Paul wasn't there.

If his Damascus experience is not just a lie, then the probability is he did have some hallucination. Blinding light is possibly the sun and the voices were his fevered brain working overtime.

Some years ago an unusual event took place just a few miles from where I stayed. The man involved swore that he saw an alien craft in the middle of woods and he lost consciousness. A policeman friend who investigated the event confirmed huge tracks had been made, as if by a bulldozer or heavy machine, but there was no access and no record of any airplanes at the time. A mystery, like Paul's but on this occasion God wasn't called as a witness.
Hmm, and after event?

I suppose... Though... he wasnt imagining something in the past. He experienced it in the presence... So what do you mean by "after event"? Perhaps your suggesting its a flat out lie... In which case, i just want to know, have you read the Pauline Epistles?

Also, what do you think, would prove to you God exists marco?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

Tart wrote:
Hmm, and after event?

I suppose... Though... he wasnt imagining something in the past.
Did Paul/Saul witness a ‘resurrection’? (Did he see a long-dead body coming back to life?)
Tart wrote:
He experienced it in the presence... So what do you mean by "after event"?
What, exactly did Paul/Saul write about his ‘vision on the road to Damascus’ (his own writing NOT that of Acts)?

Searching diligently one will find that Paul/Saul writes almost nothing about the supposed ‘experience’ or vision or hallucination or whatever it was. The writer of Acts (whoever that may have been) is responsible for the story.
Tart wrote:
Perhaps your suggesting its a flat out lie... In which case, i just want to know,
Non-factual information can be presented in many forms other than ‘flat out lie’. The term lie denotes deliberate deception (knowingly presenting false information as true)

1) The writer may been delusional
2) The writer may have been foolish enough to believe tall tales and record them as truth
3) The original writer may have been writing fiction but later copyists took it as truth
4) The writer may have misunderstood or misinterpreted what was said or done
5) Folklore may have embellished the tale to give it supernatural implications

Is the tale of Little Red Riding Hood a ‘flat out lie�?
Tart wrote:
Also, what do you think, would prove to you God exists marco?
Not a subject of this thread. Feel free to start another to explore that topic.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

Tart wrote: Did Paul Hallucinate the Resurrection?
The Gospel rumors actually tell us that Saul was a very troubled and sick man. Even the Gospel rumors have him suffering from some type of exhaustion or nervous breakdown.

So yeah, the idea that Saul (who was later called Paul) could have had dreams that caused him to believe all these things is very reasonable indeed.
Tart wrote: If you believe that. How could you not be sure, that you aren't hallucinating this moment in time?
Unless we are suffering from some sort of major duress or physical exhaustion like Paul was said to have experienced, then there's no reason for us to think that we are hallucinating.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]