How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 7754
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #91

Post by Clownboat »

bjs1 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm
If by “extraterrestrial life” we mean creatures capable of advanced civilization and communication, then it will never happen. Space is too big. Much, much too big. If life is not found on planets in this solar system – and we can safely rule that out at this point – then the amount of time required to travel to another star eliminates any possibility of it ever happening.
How fast can angels travel?
I was told as a child that they could travel at the 'speed of thought'.
How far away is heaven and how long does it take our guardian angels to get to us when we are born (perhaps they started their journey to us hundreds of thousands of light years ago)?
Do angels not qualify as creatures capable of advanced civilization and communication?
How fast can your god travel? If you have a 'trinity' belief, can god, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all travel at the same speed, or is one faster than the other? Are they bound by the speed of light or would you imagine other ways/dimensions for them to travel in?
You can build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, or you can set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible being’s wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

bjs1
Student
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #92

Post by bjs1 »

Clownboat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am
bjs1 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm
If by “extraterrestrial life” we mean creatures capable of advanced civilization and communication, then it will never happen. Space is too big. Much, much too big. If life is not found on planets in this solar system – and we can safely rule that out at this point – then the amount of time required to travel to another star eliminates any possibility of it ever happening.
How fast can angels travel?
Angles are not extraterrestrial life, at least by the common meaning of the phrase.
Clownboat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am
How far away is heaven and how long does it take our guardian angels to get to us when we are born (perhaps they started their journey to us hundreds of thousands of light years ago)?
No amount of physical travel will bring a person to the gates of heaven.
Clownboat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am
How fast can your god travel? If you have a 'trinity' belief, can god, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all travel at the same speed, or is one faster than the other? Are they bound by the speed of light or would you imagine other ways/dimensions for them to travel in?
Orthodox Christianity has always claimed that God in omnipresent, meaning that God never has any need to travel.

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 7754
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #93

Post by Clownboat »

Angles are not extraterrestrial life, at least by the common meaning of the phrase.
ex·tra·ter·res·tri·al
adjective
of or from outside the earth or its atmosphere.
noun
a hypothetical or fictional being from outer space, especially an intelligent one.

Are they from outside of earth or are they hypothetical?
No amount of physical travel will bring a person to the gates of heaven.
Please elaborate and inform us where you got this info.
I have had a Christian tell me that they saw the gates of heaven in a telescope. Are they a liar?
Orthodox Christianity has always claimed that God in omnipresent, meaning that God never has any need to travel.
I didn't ask if he needed to travel. I'm just wondering how fast he can travel.
Is he bound by the speed of light?
You can build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, or you can set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible being’s wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

bjs1
Student
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #94

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #93]

I get the enjoyment of a silly and empty debate, but I am not currently in the mood. Your argument is clearly without merit, and I assume you intended it that way. You have had to twist words to mean something that no rational person would take them to mean. You have had to pretend that talking about the speed which an omnipresent being can travel is somehow a coherent idea, which is again not something that can be taken seriously. You are free to this, but I will pass. Go well.

Quantrill
Under Probation
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #95

Post by Quantrill »

Clownboat wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 pm
Angles are not extraterrestrial life, at least by the common meaning of the phrase.
ex·tra·ter·res·tri·al
adjective
of or from outside the earth or its atmosphere.
noun
a hypothetical or fictional being from outer space, especially an intelligent one.

Are they from outside of earth or are they hypothetical?
No amount of physical travel will bring a person to the gates of heaven.
Please elaborate and inform us where you got this info.
I have had a Christian tell me that they saw the gates of heaven in a telescope. Are they a liar?
Orthodox Christianity has always claimed that God in omnipresent, meaning that God never has any need to travel.
I didn't ask if he needed to travel. I'm just wondering how fast he can travel.
Is he bound by the speed of light?
Angels are spirit beings. They are not extraterrestrial in that they are involved as much with earth as outside the earth.

Entrance to heaven is not based upon the speed of travel. You cannot see heaven through telescopes. When you can see the end of the universe with a telescope, then ask that question.

Neither God or the angels are bound by the speed of light. Any desired speed needed is exercised.

Quantrill

User avatar
Tcg
Prodigy
Posts: 4274
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #96

Post by Tcg »

Quantrill wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Angels are spirit beings. They are not extraterrestrial in that they are involved as much with earth as outside the earth.
How can one verify the existence of these supposed spirit beings? How can one measure their involvement with the earth?

Entrance to heaven is not based upon the speed of travel. You cannot see heaven through telescopes. When you can see the end of the universe with a telescope, then ask that question.
How can one verify the existence of heaven?

Neither God or the angels are bound by the speed of light. Any desired speed needed is exercised.
How can one detect the existence of God? How can one measure the speed of these supposed beings?


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Quantrill
Under Probation
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #97

Post by Quantrill »

Tcg wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 pm

How can one verify the existence of these supposed spirit beings? How can one measure their involvement with the earth?

How can one verify the existence of heaven?

How can one detect the existence of God? How can one measure the speed of these supposed beings?


Tcg
By the Bible.

By the Bible.

By the Bible. You can't measure their speed. It is always sufficient.

Quantrill

User avatar
brunumb
Guru
Posts: 1645
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 am
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #98

Post by brunumb »

Quantrill wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Tcg wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 pm

How can one verify the existence of these supposed spirit beings? How can one measure their involvement with the earth?

How can one verify the existence of heaven?

How can one detect the existence of God? How can one measure the speed of these supposed beings?


Tcg
By the Bible.

By the Bible.

By the Bible. You can't measure their speed. It is always sufficient.

Quantrill
:yawn: The Bible doesn't verify anything. It is merely a book of unsubstantiated claims.
Christianty: 2000 years of making it up as you go along.

Quantrill
Under Probation
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #99

Post by Quantrill »

brunumb wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:37 am


:yawn: The Bible doesn't verify anything. It is merely a book of unsubstantiated claims.
As a Christian it's all the verification I need. So, when I answer a question concerning God or angels, it is based upon the Bible.

As for our likelihood of finding extraterrestrial life, I would say it is unlikely. Could God have created life on another planet somewhere? Of course He could have. But, if He did, He not reveal it and in the Bible extraterrestrial life plays no role in what God is doing with man. And He has revealed that.

Also, if He did create life elsewhere in the universe, it would not be human or man.

My opinion as a Christian.

Quantrill

User avatar
Tcg
Prodigy
Posts: 4274
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #100

Post by Tcg »

Quantrill wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:50 am

As a Christian it's all the verification I need.
Which would be great for a journal entry or something of the like.

This, however, is a debate sub-forum where posters are expected to support their claims with evidence. Repeatedly stating "By the Bible" isn't that.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Post Reply