How are we to be like God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AdHoc
Guru

How are we to be like God?

Post #1

Post by AdHoc »

If you can only use one word to describe a characteristic of God that we should follow as an example what word would you use?

And why do you choose that word?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #101

Post by PinSeeker »

onewithhim wrote: Ezekiel 36 and 37 speak of Jehovah giving people "a new spirit inside" them, and "removing" the hearts of stone, to cause Israel to walk in his regulations. This refers to each person's impelling mental inclination, and how they need to change their inclinations to better align themselves with Jehovah's Spirit. There is nothing there about being "born again." This was necessary only after Jesus came to call the nation of Israel to be his co-rulers in heaven, as this special position was not available in times past. No one was called to heaven before Jesus came and sacrificed his life.
This is absolutely, unequivocally wrong. The spirit is what is in view in these verses and that the heart is directly what is being changed here rather than the "mental inclinations." The mental inclinations will inevitably follow at some point, for sure. But it is the heart, the spirit, the core of the person -- his very nature -- that is being changed from stone to flesh. And this cannot happen without being brought from death to life. It's the heart, the nature of the person, that drives our thinking and decision-making and mental inclinations.

The only difference when Jesus came, really, was that the Gospel was opened to include Gentiles as well as ethnic Jews.
onewithhim wrote: So, therefore, the Jews in Ezekiel's day could not be "born again" to go to heaven.
Absolutely they could. They were all saved (those who were in fact saved, because not all were) by faith just as we are, from Adam and Eve on up; Hebrew 11 is very clear in this. They had Moses and the prophets who told them everything they needed to know about the coming Savior, the Lamb of God. This is why they continually sacrificed a lamb without blemish; pointing forward to the true Lamb to come.

Grace and peace to all.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #102

Post by PinSeeker »

onewithhim wrote: ...anyone who is not born of the spirit will perish. Not so.
It is so; Jesus says so in Luke 13:3, as Checkpoint cited. I would dd John 3:3.
onewithhim wrote: There are millions of people today that do not hold the heavenly hope, and they will not perish. The ones with the heavenly hope will rule OVER the ones on earth. There is just a relatively small number of people called to heaven. Their purpose is to guide mankind on the earth to clean up the polluted and crowded earth and make it a paradise. Jesus will direct it all.
Oh, my. No, Jesus will separate the tares from the wheat, and then, as co-heirs with Him, we will all reign... here on earth. This is the New Heavens and the New Earth.

I do agree that Jesus will direct it all, though. In the words of Isaiah:
  • "...the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace..."
onewithhim wrote: I am not "born again," and I look forward to life on Earth forever.
Well, I agree that you are not born again. But you may yet be. If you are not, you will not live on Earth forever. I hope and pray that is not your eternal destiny.
onewithhim wrote: (BTW, what about all the people who died BEFORE Jesus came? They will all permanently perish?
It depends on whether God worked faith in their hearts (took out their heart of stone and gave them a heart of flesh, in the words of Ezekiel) or not. Those who remained as they were will be sent away permanently -- this is the second death -- at the Judgment.
onewithhim wrote:No one was called to heaven before Jesus, so what about Abraham and David and Abel and Noah, etc.?)
But they were. Again, Hebrews 11 is very clear.

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #103

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote:(BTW, what about all the people who died BEFORE Jesus came? They will all permanently perish? No one was called to heaven before Jesus, so what about Abraham and David and Abel and Noah, etc.?)
They are all "resting" in their graves awaiting resurrection at the second resurrection for mankind.
Acts 2:29 wrote:Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
=================================================
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. (I Corinthians 15:22-23)
All of mankind are like the first man Adam in that all die.

Likewise, every human who ever died will be resurrected or made alive again.

Jesus Christ was the first to be resurrected or made alive. The group that will be resurrected next are all dead Christians, "they that are Christ's", which will be resurrected at the Second Coming, or "at His coming".

All dead Christians are resurrected at this first resurrection at His coming.

Christians who are alive on the earth when Jesus returns will be born again as spirits and meet them in the clouds:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (I Thessalonians 4:17)

These born again Christians will then spend the millennium with Jesus:
...and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (Revelation 20:4)
All dead non-believers will be resurrected after the millennium:
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. (Revelation 20:5)
They then face the judgment:
Revelation 20 wrote:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Following their judgment, the Book of Life is checked again!
Revelation 20:15 wrote:And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Recall that everyone with their name in the Book of Life was resurrected at the Second Coming. Additionally, Christians alive at that time were born again as spirits instantly, without any "sleep" or first death.

So the Book of Life was cleared of entries. Every dead and living Christian had received their reward.

So why check the Book of Life again?

Obviously, something occurred which allowed other names to be written into the book. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to recheck the book.

What happened?

Billions or trillions of people have died never having the opportunity to accept Jesus as their Savior. These non-believers are raised again as mortals during the second resurrection and given that opportunity! This would also include those dying prior to Jesus (Adam, Eve, David, etc.)

The majority of all people who have ever lived have never, ever, heard the true message of the Holy Scriptures, even in the United States. Remember that the scriptures have been very successfully sealed until the end of time!

At this time these people will hear the true message for the first time from angels, including Christians born again as spirits in the first resurrection, with Satan and all of his myths and lies totally defeated.

Most people have never been given a choice based on Biblical truth!

Their choice was based on myths and ridiculous fears.

Those times will be over!

They will be preached the true gospel and accept or reject Jesus at this time.

That is why the Book of Life is checked again after the judgment!

Menotu
Sage

Re: How are we to be like God?

Post #104

Post by Menotu »

AdHoc wrote: If you can only use one word to describe a characteristic of God that we should follow as an example what word would you use?

And why do you choose that word?
Hypocrite.
2 reasons:
1) God (the OT god, anyway) likes to play the 'do as I say not as I do' game. Why? Can't say. Maybe it's because he's grumpy. Or has low self esteem (no other god before me, for example). Maybe he broke up with his intergalactic girlfriend?
2) The OT god seems to be a totally different person (being?) than the NT god.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #105

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 90 by myth-one.com]
Those who believe in Jesus have their names written in the Book of life as inheritors unto salvation.

They will receive their inheritance at the Second Coming when resurrected to everlasting spiritual bodied life. That is when they will be born again as spirits.

They will then spend the Millennium with Jesus.

The Great White Throne Judgment occurs after the Millennium.

After judgment the Book of Life is checked again! Those whose names are in it then, will also be born again as Spirits.

Those whose names are not in the Book of Life are cast into the lake of fire and quickly perish.

So the billions who never heard the gospel good news of salvation will hear it and make their choice between life or death at that time. That is when the Great Commission will be accomplished.

Death and the grave are then destroyed because there are no more humans to die and be buried.
Your scenario ending includes the paragraph I have highlighted.

It in no way is even implied in Scripture, let alone stated there.

The Great Commission is accomplished at the return of Jesus.

At his return is the final judgment of all, through the one resurrection, with the final result being either eternal life or The Second Death.

Thus we have the passing away of the old order and the revelation of the new order that is left, a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Yay!

Come, Lord Jesus.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #106

Post by myth-one.com »

Checkpoint wrote:The Great Commission is accomplished at the return of Jesus.
No, the Great Commission must occur before Jesus can return.
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:14)

And the gospel must first be published among all nations. (Mark 13:10)
Checkpoint wrote:At his return is the final judgment of all,. . .
No, the judgment is at least a thousand years after His return.
Checkpoint wrote:. . . through the one resurrection, . . .
Wrong. The first resurrection is for believers and will be at the Second Coming.

The second will be for all dead non-believers and a thousand years after the Second Coming.

Where do you get your information?

Have you ever read the scriptures?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #107

Post by Checkpoint »

myth-one.com wrote:
[Replying to post 92 by Checkpoint]

The only path to everlasting like is to be born again as a spirit.

The only way to be born again as a spirit is to get one's name in the Book of Life.

The only way to get one's name in the Book of Life is to accept Jesus as one's Savior.

Repenting is typically part of what brings one to the point of believing in Jesus as one's Savior.

===============================================

But prior to Jesus' crucifixion, the only path to salvation was to remain sinless. Thus one either had to never sin, or be forgiven somehow for their sins.

But every man except Jesus had sinned.

Therefore, repentance and forgiveness was required.

But they still have to be born again, regardless.

=============================================

Repent: To feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin.

I've never been born again as a spiritual bodied being.

But it seems like I've been repenting all my life.
Not just you, but all, have not been born again as a spiritual-bodied being.

That is not the path to itself, but the final result of walking, in this life, the path that leads to it, the narrow way.

We start that walk when we are born from above, as a spiritual-hearted being. We do this by repentance and faith, followed by doing God's will.

Yes, it does feel like "all my life". Maybe that's because you've been doing that from the time you were first awakened to what became your new life as a new spiritual creation.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #108

Post by myth-one.com »

[strike]Not just you, but all, have not been born again as a spiritual-bodied being.

That is not the path to itself, but the final result of walking, in this life, the path that leads to it, the narrow way.

We start that walk when we are born from above, as a spiritual-hearted being. We do this by repentance and faith, followed by doing God's will.

Yes, it does feel like "all my life". Maybe that's because you've been doing that from the time you were first awakened to what became your new life as a new spiritual creation.[/strike]
Acts 16:31 wrote:Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #109

Post by Checkpoint »

myth-one.com wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:The Great Commission is accomplished at the return of Jesus.
No, the Great Commission must occur before Jesus can return.
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:14)

And the gospel must first be published among all nations. (Mark 13:10)
Checkpoint wrote:At his return is the final judgment of all,. . .
No, the judgment is at least a thousand years after His return.
Checkpoint wrote:. . . through the one resurrection, . . .
Wrong. The first resurrection is for believers and will be at the Second Coming.

The second will be for all dead non-believers and a thousand years after the Second Coming.

Where do you get your information?

Have you ever read the scriptures?
Priceless!

I know where you get your information, and how you read the scriptures regarding what we are discussing.

That's because I see what results, self-made dreams and, possibly, self-contradiction.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #110

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to post 106 by Checkpoint]

And you still cannot dispute them.