How are we to be like God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AdHoc
Guru

How are we to be like God?

Post #1

Post by AdHoc »

If you can only use one word to describe a characteristic of God that we should follow as an example what word would you use?

And why do you choose that word?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: How are we to be like God?

Post #51

Post by PinSeeker »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Flesh and Blood cannot inherit the KOG.
Right; the Kingdom of God in its fullness is still not yet. But it is here now, as Jesus said many times. This is the now-and-not-yet of the Gospel. Even though it won't be here in its fullness until Jesus comes back, it is here and growing toward completion:
  • "(We) are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself (the Second Adam, as you said) being the corner stone, in Whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in Whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit." (Ephesians 2:19-22)
Yes, in our natural, dead-in-sin state -- bequeathed to us by Adam as the federal head of the human race -- we cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. But if God (in the words of the prophet Ezekiel -- 36:26-27) gives us a new heart and puts a new spirit within us; and removes the heart of stone from our flesh and gives us a heart of flesh -- puts His Spirit within us and causes us to walk in His statutes, then we can rest assured that we are born again, that we are Christians, and that we will inherit the Kingdom of God in full when Jesus returns, because, as Peter says:
  • "...God, according to His great mercy, has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for (us), who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Until you can show me that you shine like the sun, I'm not buying that you're already saved.
Well, right now, I'm shining on the inside. One day, one great day, we will be like Him in full.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: But, that's just me.... and, well. the Bible.
Well, it's you, and -- in part -- the Bible. :)
Sojournerofthearth wrote: I used to be a Baptist... once saved... you know.
That you used to be a Baptist... that can mean a lot of things... I'm not a Baptist, either. But being Baptist is not bad, just wrong about some things. Still believing in Christ, though, and that's good.

Grace and peace to you, Sojourner.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #52

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 49 by PinSeeker]

Good Afternoon Pinseeker,

My previous reply came out a bit more on the snarky side. than I intended. My apologies for that.

Have a good day

Soj

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #53

Post by myth-one.com »

Sojournerofthearth wrote:I agree that most churches have lost sight of what the Gospel was... it was the Gospel of the coming Kingdom of God, not a gospel about the man, Jesus... it is the things He Preached, not a story about the man.

I respectfully disagree that the Gospel of the Kingdom of God has not been preached to the whole world as a witness. I believe it has been done. When Jonah announced the destruction of Nineveh, He wasn't out crying in the streets, he was taken to the King. God deals with the heads of state and they are to instruct their people. They can accept or reject the warning, but if the word went out to the nations leaders, then that would certainly suffice the prophecy, don't you think?

Soj
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:14)
Believers are commanded to fulfull this work:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:19-20)
The Second Coming is described in Revelation chapter nineteen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. (Revelation 19:11-13)
A few chapters back, just before the second coming, God sends an angel to preach the gospel to all nations:
And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people. (Revelation 14:6)
If that has already been accomplished as you say, why does it need to be repeated by the angel?

Did everyone forget?

================================================

I also take exception to the idea that telling the leaders of every nation is equivalent to telling every nation.

The true gospel must be explained to every person who ever lived, and that person must make an informed decision to accept or reject Jesus as his or her Savior.

Otherwise, God is not just and true as scripture states:
Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints. (Revelation 15:3)
Billions or trillions have died having never even heard the name Jesus!

They will be preached the true gospel and make their decisions after their resurrection.

===============================================

But here's another problem in spreading the gospel message to all the world:

It is questionable (to me) as to whether or not the good news of the gospel is even known by many Christians -- as the scriptures are sealed until the time of the end:
And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. (Isaiah 29:11-12)

The words are sealed until the time of the end when God sends an angel to fulfill the prophesy ( remember from above ):
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. (Daniel 12:4)

And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness. (Isaiah 29:18)
When churches begin to preach the true gospel message, the end will be near. That's another sign.

=================================================

Every Christian church I've ever attended preached some theology akin to the following:
  1. Man is born as an immortal soul living within a physical body.
  2. If man accepts Jesus as his Savior prior to his death, his soul goes immediately to heaven for eternity when his physical body dies.
  3. If man does not accept Jesus as his Savior, his soul goes immediately to hell for eternity when his physical body dies.
  4. At the resurrection, man's eternal soul is merged back with his resurrected eternal physical body.
  5. Believers then spend eternity in a blissful heaven with God
  6. While non-believers are tormented eternally in hell
If this gospel, or anything similar, is taught worldwide -- then no one in the world would have been taught the gospel message -- as that is not the gospel message.

Just some things to respectively consider and debate.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by PinSeeker »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 49 by PinSeeker]

My previous reply came out a bit more on the snarky side. than I intended. My apologies for that.

Have a good day

Soj
You too, my friend.

What you're talking about is the process of sactification, really.

Justification happens at the point we are saved. In the justifying sense -- being declared righteous, having the righteousness of Christ imputed to you -- is a once and for all thing which happens at the time we become Christians. In this sense, we have been saved, because our salvation is secure.

Sanctification is a lifelong process, the process between justification and glorification. In this sense, we are being saved -- being set apart, being conformed to Christ.

We can't be sanctified to any degree until we've been justified. On the other hand, though, once we are justified (by God), then our eventual full sanctification and ultimately our glorification is certain.

So with regard to "have been saved" and "are being saved," it's a both-and thing, not an either-or. This is what we call the "golden chain" of salvation: predestination, the inner call, justification, glorification. All are works of God in us by His Spirit. Paul gives it to us in Romans 8:30 -- "...these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by Checkpoint »

PinSeeker wrote:
Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 49 by PinSeeker]

Have a good day

Soj
You too, my friend.

What you're talking about is the process of sactification, really.

Justification happens at the point we are saved. In the justifying sense -- being declared righteous, having the righteousness of Christ imputed to you -- is a once and for all thing which happens at the time we become Christians. In this sense, we have been saved, because our salvation is secure.

Sanctification is a lifelong process, the process between justification and glorification. In this sense, we are being saved -- being set apart, being conformed to Christ.

We can't be sanctified to any degree until we've been justified. On the other hand, though, once we are justified (by God), then our eventual full sanctification and ultimately our glorification is certain.

So with regard to "have been saved" and "are being saved," it's a both-and thing, not an either-or. This is what we call the "golden chain" of salvation: predestination, the inner call, justification, glorification. All are works of God in us by His Spirit. Paul gives it to us in Romans 8:30 -- "...these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified."

Good stuff, Pinseeker, right on the button.

But, my friend, why on earth did y0u not say something like this (about saved now, being saved, and finally saved then), to myth-one on another thread?

Sorry to have to ask you that, but it did mark a sad end to your exchange with him.

Grace and peace to you and yours.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #56

Post by myth-one.com »

Checkpoint wrote: Good stuff, Pinseeker, right on the button.

But, my friend, why on earth did y0u not say something like this (about saved now, being saved, and finally saved then), to myth-one on another thread?

Sorry to have to ask you that, but it did mark a sad end to your exchange with him.

Grace and peace to you and yours.
About being saved, PinSeeker wrote:Justification happens at the point we are saved. In the justifying sense -- being declared righteous, having the righteousness of Christ imputed to you -- is a once and for all thing which happens at the time we become Christians. In this sense, we have been saved, because our salvation is secure.
Had PinSetter said something like the above to me, I would corrected him by quoting what Jesus said about man entering the spiritual Kingdom of God.

Here is what Jesus said about being saved:
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (John 3:5-7)
No one is saved until they are born again of the Spirit as a spirit.

There are two type of bodies -- natural and spiritual. Natural succumb to death. Spiritual bodies live forever.

So to overcome death (you know, the wages of sin) one must be born a second time as an immortal spiritual being which cannot die.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)
Man is born of the flesh as flesh, and will perish.

Spirits are born of the Spirit (John 4:24 God is a Spirit), and live forever.

Humans die, spirits do not.

If you are a human who wants to live forever, there is only one way to do so -- you must be born again as a spirit.

Only then can one correctly claim that they have been SAVED from the wages of sin.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote: Good stuff, Pinseeker, right on the button.
Thank you, Checkpoint. To God (not PinSeeker) be the glory. :)
Checkpoint wrote: But, my friend, why on earth did you not say something like this (about saved now, being saved, and finally saved then), to myth-one on another thread?
I don't really understand why you're asking this, but whatever.
Checkpoint wrote: Sorry to have to ask you that, but it did mark a sad end to your exchange with him.
I was replying to Sojourner here. I've given up trying to discuss anything with myth-one. I feel like -- bless his heart -- most of his opinions are... well, too far out there... :)
Checkpoint wrote: Grace and peace to you and yours.
And to you alsos, brother.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #58

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote:I feel like -- bless his heart -- most of his opinions are... well, too far out there...
The word you're searching for is "biblical."

. . . too biblical.

His opinions are supported by the scriptures, or biblical.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #59

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:I feel like -- bless his heart -- most of his opinions are... well, too far out there...
The word you're searching for is "biblical."
LOL! No, that's definitely not it... :D

marco
Savant

Post #60

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to speak like this and possess a mobile phone or a television. I smile at "the golden chain of salvation" but I recall Tennyson wrote in his magnificent Morte d'Arthur

"For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God." That was imaginative and beautifully expressed.
We have to forgive Paul his ignorance; he lived in an age of superstition and seemed to have been unaffected by the writings of clever Romans, preferring his own arrogance. How on earth does a dreamer know anything about a divinity ordaining predestination, justification and glorification?

We are no closer to heaven, it seems, than we were in the Dark Ages.