Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Is Christmas a form of Worship to Jesus?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 6

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are some that refuse to accept that Jesus is God based on their beliefs. Yet many of these people still celebrate Christmas. So, is Christmas an act of worship to Jesus? If it is, then why would a person that doesn't accept Jesus as God worship Jesus?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Is Christmas a Form of Worship to Jesus Christ?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

2timothy316 wrote: There are some that refuse to accept that Jesus is God based on their beliefs. Yet many of these people still celebrate Christmas. So, is Christmas an act of worship to Jesus? If it is, then why would a person that doesn't accept Jesus as God worship Jesus?
Christmas can be seen as the celebration of our major and beloved prophet. Many of us celebrate birthdays of our loved ones, all the more so of influential people. And who has been more influential?

And every birthday can be seen by extension as the celebration of God as Creator.

Christmas celebration can be seen as an act of Jesus-worship for those who believe Jesus is God-incarnate, but it ain't necessarily so.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

As far as I see it, you're no different than those that do worship Jesus.

M-W defines worship as:

1 : to honor or show reverence for as a divine being or supernatural power
2 : to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion

The 2nd definition covers birthdays. So it sounds like people worship all sorts of people than. Yet those that claim to love Jehovah and claim they worship only him but yet gives 'honor to a supernatural power' to someone else turns my stomach and I can't help be see hypocrisy.

"Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a person is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 3 by 2timothy316]

So, what are you saying, that birthday celebrations are a form of idolatry? Really? Is that the JW position, or do JWs not celebrate because it's something pagans do. Pagans also eat, sleep, breath etc. Are those things intrinsically sinful? Pagans also assemble for meetings. Are meetings necessarily bad?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to post 3]

2timothy316: Yet those that claim to love Jehovah and claim they worship only him but yet gives 'honor to a supernatural power' to someone else turns my stomach and I can't help be see hypocrisy.

William: Jesus said not to judge others. Does worshiping an image of Jehovah allow one to be judgmental against others?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 3 by 2timothy316]

So, what are you saying, that birthday celebrations are a form of idolatry? Really? Is that the JW position, or do JWs not celebrate because it's something pagans do.
"Jehovah your God you should fear, and him you should serve, and by his name you should swear. You must not follow after other gods, any gods of the peoples who are all around you, for Jehovah your God who is in your midst is a God who requires exclusive devotion." - Deut 6:13-15
Birthdays and Christmas is not a form of worship created by Jehovah. Birthdays as far as archeology can tell came from the celebration of the Pharaoh in Egypt. Apparently even early Catholic church considered birthdays pagan.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/philosophy ... l/birthday

Think about those friends or family members that have no faith or don't believe in God. So you're cool those with people giving you more honor on your birthday than they do God?
Pagans also eat, sleep, breath etc. Are those things intrinsically sinful?
We can't live with those, are you saying you can't living with giving and getting extravagant honor? Eating, sleep, and breathing isn't a choice. Giving a person extravagant honor simply for being born is a choice.
Pagans also assemble for meetings. Are meetings necessarily bad?
They are if they are teaching false worship. Or do you think its ok to teach the trinity as truth?

You're defense is weak and certainly you can see that... or worse, you can't.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: [Replying to post 3]

2timothy316: Yet those that claim to love Jehovah and claim they worship only him but yet gives 'honor to a supernatural power' to someone else turns my stomach and I can't help be see hypocrisy.

William: Jesus said not to judge others. Does worshiping an image of Jehovah allow one to be judgmental against others?
It's not a judgement, Jesus does that. Yet to not warn others of a danger can lead to bloodguilt. (Eze 33:6-8) Worshiping anything else other than Jehovah God leads to death. The Bible says this judgement, not me. I just point to the scirpture as a warning. You can ignore it, which I hope you don't but at least I will not be held accountable for not sounding a warning. (Deut 6:13-15 ) I Don't want anyone to risk eternal death for some pagan holiday. And yes even worshiping an image of Jehovah is wrong. (Ex 32:1-8, 18, 19)

“True worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth.� (John 4:23, 24) No idols.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by 2timothy316]

2timothy316: It's not a judgement, Jesus does that.

William: It is a judgement. You declare there is hypocrisy, and that this verdict 'turns your stomach'.
Jesus appears to have the role as Judge, in relation to biblical script. If you think that he is being hypocritical in said role, that would also be a judgement.

2timothy316: Yet to not warn others of a danger can lead to bloodguilt.

William: Your judgmentalism isn't warning people of some kind of danger they are in. What is Jehovah going to do? Spill blood?

2timothy316: Worshiping anything else other than Jehovah God leads to death.

William: It is an old religious belief most likely created to deal with competition. Making up any image of The Creator is pointless and meaningless in relation to The Creator. The main use of images is to attract particular clientele. Customed for customers. Even such images as this;

2timothy316: The Bible says this judgement, not me.

William: It is besides the point. Nazi's used a similar excuse for their individual behavior. As if by saying "I was only following orders" exempted them from their personal responsibility.

Besides that, just because the Bible say's something, doesn't mean it isn't being judgmental, and Jesus said to his followers "Do Not Judge". That is also in the Bible. That is why I ask you if following Jehovah exempts people from doing what Jesus said.

2timothy316: I Don't want anyone to risk eternal death for some pagan holiday. And yes even worshiping an image of Jehovah is wrong.

William: I would say that even creating images which depict The Creator as any type form, is pointless and appears to be a type of idolatry.

Right and wrong are for Jesus to Judge, as far as the overall story indicates.

I do not see any reason why warning someone about the so-called risk of eternal death is practical. What risk is there in being eternally dead?

2timothy316: True worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth.

William: What does that mean? Does it mean that it is acceptable to print images of entities as they are imagined to be, and circulate these images in an effort to spread a religious organisations message that people are at risk by not being part of said religious organisations?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote: There are some that refuse to accept that Jesus is God based on their beliefs. Yet many of these people still celebrate Christmas. So, is Christmas an act of worship to Jesus? If it is, then why would a person that doesn't accept Jesus as God worship Jesus?
No, such Christians do not worship Jesus. I am one of them.

Christians who celebrate in this way are celebrating his birth by remembering that event and its significance.

They remember how and why it came about and who sent him.

They also remember how it was revealed and celebrated at the time, as recorded by Matthew and Luke, and rejoice as those then did.

The issue of whether Jesus is or is not God has nothing to do with Christmas.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

Checkpoint wrote:
No, such Christians do not worship Jesus. I am one of them.

Christians who celebrate in this way are celebrating his birth by remembering that event and its significance.

They remember how and why it came about and who sent him.

They also remember how it was revealed and celebrated at the time, as recorded by Matthew and Luke, and rejoice as those then did.

The issue of whether Jesus is or is not God has nothing to do with Christmas.
So you're ok that the religion that instituted Christmas and the majority of Christendom view Jesus as God? You're also ok to absorb that ritual as part of your own religion?

I find all of this intriguing how people justify a holiday no 1st century Christian nor Christ himself celebrated. Folks know Christmas is not based on anything Biblical or a Christian origin but no one seems to care...