Why are Paul's letters considered sacred scripture?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Why are Paul's letters considered sacred scripture?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

1) If Jesus is the "Word of God" shouldn't he be the last Word?

2) Why would Jesus need the interpreter Paul?

3) Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?

4) Do modern Christians quote Paul more than Jesus, heed Paul more than Jesus, and for all practical purposes, put Paul's letters above Jesus words as recorded in the Gospels?

5) Is Paul the "another helper" Jesus spoke of in the Gospel of John? Or would that be the Holy Spirit. (side note point of interest not debate, Muslims interpret that prediction as referring to the prophet Muhammed)

Please address any combination of these questions.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Re: Why are Paul's letters considered sacred scripture?

Post #2

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1]

Elijah John: If Jesus is the "Word of God" shouldn't he be the last Word?

William: If you mean 'Should the buck stop there' in relation to any other personality presenting their opinion in the Bible, I would say - especially in relation to contradiction - Jesus trumps all the others.

Elijah John: Why would Jesus need the interpreter Paul

William: Why would Jesus even need the Bible? For example, where is all the vast information Jesus taught in private about the Secrets of his Father's Kingdom? It is not even included in the Bible, and Paul say's next to nothing about it.

Elijah John: Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?

William: Why consider anything to be 'sacred scripture'? Why should any book be regarded as "The Word of God"?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: 3) Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?
Doesn't Paul claim to have been chosen by God to speak for God? Or chosen by Christ to speak for Christ? I'm pretty sure he does make this claim.

I don't think he ever claimed to be a mere believer who was just voicing personal opinions.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Divine Insight wrote:
Elijah John wrote: 3) Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?
Doesn't Paul claim to have been chosen by God to speak for God? Or chosen by Christ to speak for Christ? I'm pretty sure he does make this claim.

I don't think he ever claimed to be a mere believer who was just voicing personal opinions.
I think that's right. But the original apostles seemed to have had their doubts. And yes, Paul made those claims, but why should anyone believe him? That is, anyone who is "people of the Book".(as Muslims say) Anyone who regards previous scripture as "God-breathed".

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY WERE PAULS LETTERS CONSIDERED SACRED SCRIPTURE?

Jesus gave selected men, notably Peter and the 12 Apostles authority to continue his (Jesus ) work (see Mat 16:18, 19). This authority involved "feeding" giving needed instruction to the "sheep" of other believers as well as appointing other men to certain posts of responsibilities (compare Acts 6:2-4)
Paul was chosen by divine intervention, was reported as having performed many powerful miracles and was recognised as an Apostle by the leading men in the community including the Apostle Peter. Pauls writings (which include claims of divine communication) were endorsed in Peter's letter to the congregations. (Compare 2 Peter 3:16).
The early catalogues and subsequent preservation of these specific letters as part of the Christian canon testifies they were viewed as more than mere letters of interest. The Christian community copied, shared and preserved these writings (as they did the four gospels), which reflected how essential they saw them to be to the continuation and preservation of the Cnristian faith. The Christian cannon was indeed established by the above pattern of use and preservation.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Why was the arrival of Paul not foretold in scripture?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 346#950346

Was the Apostle Paul bi-polar?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 285#965285

Was the Apostle Paul a member of the Herodian royal family?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 240#900240

Does the Apostle Pauls instruction that Cnristian woman should learn
in silence reflect a lack of regard for women?

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 681#797681
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #6

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote: 1) If Jesus is the "Word of God" shouldn't he be the last Word?

3) Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?

4) Do modern Christians quote Paul more than Jesus, heed Paul more than Jesus, and for all practical purposes, put Paul's letters above Jesus words as recorded in the Gospels?

5) Is Paul the "another helper" Jesus spoke of in the Gospel of John? Or would that be the Holy Spirit. (side note point of interest not debate, Muslims interpret that prediction as referring to the prophet Muhammed)

Please address any combination of these questions.
1) Should Jesus be the last Word? Well, for reasons known only to Jehovah and Jesus, Paul was included in the "inspired" scriptures. Jesus' disciples have had no reason to doubt that Paul was chosen by Jesus to be an honorary Apostle, and to spread the truth about God. Maybe someday you can duke it out with Jesus face-to-face.

2) Jesus didn't need Paul, but he and his Father give the honor of preaching to the nations to people, even though they could have the rocks cry out.

3) I am comfortable with Paul's letters being included in sacred Scripture. He was extremely adept at praising Almighty God, the Father, and explaining how Jesus fulfilled the Law, and how He has instituted a new covenant. Paul detailed the anointed people's hope of being in heaven, and encouraged the new church/ congregation. That's what Jehovah had in mind, I'm sure---encouragement to the Christian brothers far and wide, and he started many congregations in the Mediterranean area.

4) No, modern Christians do not quote Paul more than Jesus, but even if they did, Paul has God-given permission to speak about Jehovah and Jesus. Why would Jesus have assigned him to go and preach about Him if He knew Paul would bungle the job?

5) No, Paul is not the other "helper" that Jesus spoke of, and neither is Mohammed. It is the Holy Spirit---God's active force. Didn't Jesus say right after speaking of "another helper" that it was "the spirit of the truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither sees it nor knows it"? (John 14:16,17)

:study: [/b]

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
1) If Jesus is the "Word of God" shouldn't he be the last Word?
If so, in the sense you have suggested, then what would the New Testament consist of? The four Gospels plus Revelation; no letters.

He did have the last Word,, just as he is the last Word.

What did Jesus tell us about Paul?

Acts 9:
15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.
16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.�
Jesus needed, and still needs, many laborers for the harvest. No two are exactly alike, and no two have the same calling with its own responsibilities.

In Paul's case, that included to his own flock, to teach and encourage them in the faith.

Hence his many letters.

Teaching includes interpretation. All NT letters interpret Jesus, not just the ones Paul wrote.

Grace and peace to you.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:
Teaching includes interpretation. All NT letters interpret Jesus, not just the ones Paul wrote.

Grace and peace to you.
Fair enough, then the OP questions could include James, the unknown author of Hebrews, and Peter.

But as interpreters after the fact, after the last "Word" (Jesus) why are their teachings considered infallible? Or are they?

And if and when they differ with Jesus, who should we follow and believe?

Grace and peace to you as well.

-YHVH is LORD

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Eloi »

Jesus said to his Father: "your word is truth". All inspired writers spoke the word of God under the influence of the holy spirit.

Jesus Christ never said that he was the ultimate word, since he clearly mentioned Jehovah as the source of all his teachings ... and said it on many occasions. Jehovah is the ultimate source of all truth and knowledge.
Please read: John 4:34-38; 5:30-34; 6:37-40; 7:14-29,33; 6:25-29,42; 12:44-50
Jesus continues to learn from Jehovah even in his exalted state and position.

John 5:20 For the Father has affection for the Son and shows him all the things he himself does, and he will show him works greater than these, so that you may marvel.

Many other persons have been taught by Jehovah and the guide of His spirit and it continues happening so. One thing will never happen is that someone teaches something that contradicts what the spirit of God inspired to be written in the Scriptures and that teaching is from God in any way ... It is impossible that God inspired (by His spirit) as truth two opposite ideas about the same aspect; so that is the rule we can know who is a false teacher.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #10

Post by brianbbs67 »

Eloi wrote: Jesus said to his Father: "your word is truth". All inspired writers spoke the word of God under the influence of the holy spirit.

Jesus Christ never said that he was the ultimate word, since he clearly mentioned Jehovah as the source of all his teachings ... and said it on many occasions. Jehovah is the ultimate source of all truth and knowledge.
Please read: John 4:34-38; 5:30-34; 6:37-40; 7:14-29,33; 6:25-29,42; 12:44-50
Jesus continues to learn from Jehovah even in his exalted state and position.

John 5:20 For the Father has affection for the Son and shows him all the things he himself does, and he will show him works greater than these, so that you may marvel.

Many other persons have been taught by Jehovah and the guide of His spirit and it continues happening so. One thing will never happen is that someone teaches something that contradicts what the spirit of God inspired to be written in the Scriptures and that teaching is from God in any way ... It is impossible that God inspired (by His spirit) as truth two opposite ideas about the same aspect; so that is the rule we can know who is a false teacher.
Wait a minute. Many teach against the law of God.. Jesus, never did. What should we do with these others?

Don't tell me he fulfilled the law. That's what we all should do. God never said, "I will send one who will follow my instructions, laws, and once he is done, you never have to listen to me again. Jesus never said it either. Paul, actually never said it either, but many misunderstand him to say so. If you believe Paul said so, you must reject him as a prophet per God in Duet 13 and many other places.