Can we excuse Leviticus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Can we excuse Leviticus?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Having watched a film, based on fact, where a young gay man was brutally beaten to death I turned to the enlightenment of Leviticus 20:13.

"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them."

This is apparently God speaking, the architect of universal harmony. Can this verse ever be justified? Apparently so. I learned that if the entire world resorted to homosexuality then Jesus would not have been able to come and redeem mankind. When Jesus did come, the law passed into disuse.

If the entire world had decided to be celibate, that too would have impeded Christ's arrival, so celibacy should also be an abomination. Maybe it is in some quarters though Paul didn't seem to think so.

Do we: Ignore Leviticus and any other bits of the Bible that seem brutal?
Do we say the old law is no longer needed?
Do we say that if a book inspires such hate, it is a bad book?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Can we excuse Leviticus?

Post #81

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 80 by marco]

I see nothing in your post but opinion. We clearly have different values because we recognise different authorities but since we agree that the exercise of just authority is in no way automatically indicative or inducive of "hate", I think we can both be satisfied with that logical common ground as regard to the OP.

Was there anything else you wished to discuss? I wanted to compile some answers on the subject of homosexuality, so if there was any other points you wished to raise on that I would be more than happy to read them.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #82

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

The issue that you don’t recognize is that if Marco’s opinion is as strong as a theistic one, it means one man’s opinion is as demonstrably as strong as a god’s.

This means, since your god uses you as a proxy, your god should be given little consideration.
In short, dismissed as your own construct, rather than any serious deity.

Sorry.

marco
Savant

Post #83

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

I see nothing in your post but opinion.
Yes it's a human disease. I think Einstein fell victim too. What possible notions are provable in the area of gods? I await illumination.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Was there anything else you wished to discuss? I wanted to compile some answers on the subject of homosexuality, so if there was any other points you wished to raise on that I would be more than happy to read them.
Thank you for expressing a willingness to read what I write. It makes writing worthwhile if one senses one is being read. It is the Leviticus view of homosexuality we're discussing but if you accept it is wrong to kill people for sleeping in the wrong bed I think we share the same view on the subject.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 83 by marco]

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on that. If there's nothing else I will wish you an excellent weekend,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #85

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I am afraid the topic is not about you.
Because you have attempted to reduce a very general topic down to your personal opinion vs a population, doesn’t mean the opinion is right.
Indeed, you should be speaking about God’s truth, not opinions. If the topic has come to that, the honest thing to do would be to concede.

In any event, it is impolite to “close� a topic because you can not sustain your position in the face of another.