Which religious "ism" is best?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Which religious "ism" is best?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Which outlook/worldview is best, most likely to be real, and helpful to everyday life? And why?

-Atheism
-Polytheism
-Monotheism.
-Trinitarianism
-Pantheism
-Panentheism
-Agnosticism
-Ignosticism
-Gnosticism
-Deism

Make your case for your favored view. ;)

Some of the above may overlap, and some be included in another choice. For example, it can be argued that Trinitarianism is a form of Monotheism.
Last edited by Elijah John on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

To be more inclusive, let’s add

Pantheism
Agnosticism
Ignosticism

Google the terms if unfamiliar.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Atheism, Polytheism, Monotheism.

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Atheism believing something came from nothing and went on to make itself everything. Irrational nonsense.

i) Polytheism believing in more than one god, a rational supposition that there is intelligent life superior to our own somewhere;

ii) Polytheism worshipping anyone other than the supreme Almighty God and creator. A risky, possibly wasteful endeavour based on guesswork.

Pantheism Confusing the writer with the book; and then ignoring the book.

Monotheism* a logical conclusion based on a rational anaysis of the best sources of relevant informaton available.
* as in the doctrine or belief that there is only one Supreme Almighty Creator God.

I rest my case

RELATED POSTS

Are Jehovahs Witnesses polytheists?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 664#867664
polytheism (tigger)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 313#868313

Is atheism based on faith?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 251#813251
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
To be more inclusive, let’s add

Pantheism
Agnosticism
Ignosticism

Google the terms if unfamiliar.
You forgot "panentheism". ;) But sure, let's add those. I'll edit the OP to included those choices.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 4 by Elijah John]

The list has indeed grown considerably.
Agnosticism Philosophy of Gaps otherwise known as "The Swiss Cheese" worldview.

Gnosticism An ancient version of "House of thrones"

Deism Confusing the writer with the book; and then ignoring the book.

Trinitarianism Disbelief in math.

Ignosticism Disbelief in language

RELATED POSTS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Which religious "ism" is best?

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: Which outlook/worldview is best, most likely to be real, and helpful to everyday life? And why?
A world outlook should not affect how a person behaves. If it does, then they aren't behaving as themselves, but instead they are behaving in accordance with how they think the world might be.

The one you left off the list is the most real.

Agnosticism.

It's the only worldview that any human can truly know, anything less is a guess. Also anything less is a lie. The only truth is agnosticism.

Helpful in everyday life?

Why should a person need to lean on a crutch of pretending to know something they cannot know in order to get through life, or obtain any "help" in that endeavor?

Clearly atheists don't feel that they need to lean on ideas that they cannot know to be true in order to help them get through life.

I don't see where religious beliefs do anything more than cause extreme division and hatred between people who don't share those views.

Not only do we see different religions fighting with each other in passionate disagreement, but we even see religions fighting internally against each other with even more hatred and passion.

If everyone would confess to the truth of agnosticism there would be no religious animosity and hatred, and the world would finally be free from the curse of worshiping imaginary Gods that no one can demonstrate to even exist.

Agnosticism is the only TRUTH. And ironically you didn't even think to put it on your list in the original OP. All humans are agnostic whether they confess this truth to themselves or not. It's the TRUTH of human reality. It's the only TRUTH there is. And it's TRUE whether any Gods exist or not.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Mithrae »

Divine Insight wrote: Not only do we see different religions fighting with each other in passionate disagreement, but we even see religions fighting internally against each other with even more hatred and passion.

If everyone would confess to the truth of agnosticism there would be no religious animosity and hatred, and the world would finally be free from the curse of worshiping imaginary Gods that no one can demonstrate to even exist.
Some of the most passionate invective on this forum comes from agnostics and agnostic atheists. So rather than any inherent emotional superiority of agnosticism, it would seem that essentially what you are saying is that "If everyone would confess to the 'truth' of [my view] we'd have no reason to disagree." But of course that's a claim which literally anyone with any belief system can make. For a given level of specificity, of course; two people who fall under the broad term 'agnostic' (such as you and I) can disagree just as easily as two people under the broad term 'Christian' can.
The one you left off the list is the most real.
Agnosticism.

It's the only worldview that any human can truly know, anything less is a guess. Also anything less is a lie. The only truth is agnosticism.

Helpful in everyday life?
Why should a person need to lean on a crutch of pretending to know something they cannot know in order to get through life, or obtain any "help" in that endeavor?
Who said anything about knowing? A person could hold the view that their religion is socially, morally and existentially useful and highly likely to be true, without claiming to 'know' it for a fact. The OP specifically uses the phrase "most likely to be real." As a mere epistemic description I'd guess that we're all more or less agnostic, even those who think they do 'know' one way or the other, but as an epistemic standard - suggesting as you seem to that one's religious/theistic position should be determined based on either the presence or absence of 'knowledge' (as opposed to mere plausibility, usefulness etc.) - agnosticism becomes highly questionable.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Mithrae wrote: "If everyone would confess to the 'truth' of [my view] we'd have no reason to disagree." But of course that's a claim which literally anyone with any belief system can make.
Unless you actually know that a God exists agnosticism is your truth too.

How many theists are capable of owning up to the truth?

Agnosticism is truth. Period. Anyone who denies this is delusional.

In fact, honest theologians ultimately confess that their belief in their God is a matter of faith. In Christianity Paul demands this. Jesus did too as even his own disciples had to believe on faith the claims that he was "God", or the "Son of God" or whatever.

Why is it that theists are so afraid of truth?
Mithrae wrote: "If everyone would confess to the 'truth' of [my view] we'd have no reason to disagree." But of course that's a claim which literally anyone with any belief system can make.
You say, "But of course that's a claim which literally anyone with any belief system can make."

No it's not.

When an agnostic says that they don't know what the true nature of reality is or whether there may or may not be a God they are speaking the TRUTH.

If a theists proclaims that they know a God exists, they are speaking a falsehood.

The only theists who speak the truth are those who confess that they can't really know whether their God exists or not. And guess what? With that confession they are actually confessing to be agnostic.

So you're wrong. Agnosticism is the only worldview that holds any truth. Even secular materialists can't be certain of that worldview. Hardcore Atheists who claim to know that there are no Gods are being as dishonest as the theists.

Only the Agnostics own up to the TRUTH.

There is no other "ism" that speaks to the truth the way Agnosticism does.
Mithrae wrote: Who said anything about knowing? A person could hold the view that their religion is socially, morally and existentially useful and highly likely to be true, without claiming to 'know' it for a fact.
So what? If they can't say that they know it's true then they are still Agnostic whether they like it or not. Proclaiming that it's "highly likely to be true" represents nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion. That's just an Agnostic who has a high degree of confidence in their own wishful thinking. The bottom line is that they still can't know. So why not confess to this TRUTH?
Mithrae wrote: The OP specifically uses the phrase "most likely to be real."
So what? Agnosticism is still most likely to be real.

Not knowing is more real than thinking you know something that you can't know.

So Agnosticism is more real than anything else. We "really" don't know. That's reality.

Pretending that you do know is not reality. That's just self-delusion. It's a pretense.

Why not face the reality that you don't know?

What's wrong with TRUTH? :-k

Why are so many people afraid of the TRUTH?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Mithrae »

Divine Insight wrote:
Unless you actually know that a God exists agnosticism is your truth too.

How many theists are capable of owning up to the truth?

Agnosticism is truth. Period. Anyone who denies this is delusional.
And unless you actually know that nothing greater than humans exist then theism is your truth too.

How many agnostics and atheists are capable of owning up to that truth?

Theism is truth. Period. Anyone who denies this is delusional. Right? As long as we define words how we want them defined.
Divine Insight wrote:
You say, "But of course that's a claim which literally anyone with any belief system can make."

No it's not.

When an agnostic says that they don't know what the true nature of reality is or whether there may or may not be a God they are speaking the TRUTH.
Not necessarily; if God had personally revealed himself to that person and their friends, their profession of uncertainty would simply be wilful self-delusion. On what basis do you profess to know that this scenario never occurs?
Divine Insight wrote: If a theists proclaims that they know a God exists, they are speaking a falsehood.
Unless that God had personally revealed herself to him and his friends. On what basis do you profess to know that this scenario never occurs? Speaking as a nominal agnostic myself, I submit that a True Agnostic (TM) would acknowledge that they can never know whether another person's knowledge of God is legitimate or not. By declaring the opposite you are committing agnostic heresy! :o More to the point, you are asserting as fact something which can never be proven in online debate.
Divine Insight wrote:
Mithrae wrote: Who said anything about knowing? A person could hold the view that their religion is socially, morally and existentially useful and highly likely to be true, without claiming to 'know' it for a fact.
So what? If they can't say that they know it's true then they are still Agnostic whether they like it or not. Proclaiming that it's "highly likely to be true" represents nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion. That's just an Agnostic who has a high degree of confidence in their own wishful thinking. The bottom line is that they still can't know. So why not confess to this TRUTH?
Some might say that string theory is "highly likely to be true": Using a simplistic binary approach to 'knowledge' as your basis for dismissing that professed likelihood as "nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion" and "wishful thinking" would be obviously and laughably fallacious. Virtually all reasonable people accept usefulness/utility (eg. Newtonian mechanics) and uncertainty/theorizing (eg. almost all scientific theories) as reasonable steps on the approach towards what philosophers might call 'true knowledge;' but you seem to be advocating a position which rejects both utility and plausibility/approximation as worthless. As far as I can tell you are not advocating "TRUTH," you are advocating an extremist dogma.

As a careful qualitative or quantitative statement of uncertainty regarding the things we speculate, 'believe,' use, theorize and 'know,' agnosticism as an epistemic description is both invaluable and should be universal. But as you are using it - as an epistemic standard used for pejorative attacks against any speculation, 'beliefs,' uses, theories and 'knowledge' professed by people who don't share your views - I would say it's not only a highly questionable but potentially destructive attitude: Every step along that continuum of confidence has its usefulness and purpose, at least potentially, and using the binary criterion of 'knowledge' as a basis for dismissing everything which falls short (or even worse, arbitrarily dismissing things which haven't yet measured up while accepting others) would utterly impede our ongoing investigation of the unknown.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Divine Insight wrote: Why are so many people afraid of the TRUTH?
Many are heavily emotionally invested in the dogma with which they were indoctrinated (usually as children). After constructing a life around what 'God wants', it can be traumatic to cast that aside and do the hard work of deciding on courses of action without imagined 'guidance from above'.

It can be easier to keep defending old habits than to form new ones (religion included).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence