Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Are humans related to apes?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Are humans related to apes?

Geneticists (people who study such things) tell us that H. sapiens have great genetic similarity to members of the taxonomic group Family: Hominidae (great apes).

This seems to offend some people or to contradict their religious beliefs.

On what basis can argument be made that the classification is in error?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Are humans related to apes?

Post #2

Post by bjs »

Zzyzx wrote: Are humans related to apes?

Geneticists (people who study such things) tell us that H. sapiens have great genetic similarity to members of the taxonomic group Family: Hominidae (great apes).
Yes, human are genetically very similar to apes.

Genetically, we aren’t that different from bananas, so do what you want with that information.

Zzyzx wrote: On what basis can argument be made that the classification is in error?
It would depend on what classification system we are using. Genetics are one way to classify living creatures. There are others. Certainly humans stand apart from all other surviving species in many important ways.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

bjs wrote: Genetics are one way to classify living creatures. There are others.
Kindly cite the classification systems to which you refer.
bjs wrote: Certainly humans stand apart from all other surviving species in many important ways.
Kindly list the important differences to which you refer.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
Genetically, we aren’t that different from bananas, so do what you want with that information.
This graphic from Popular Science tells a very different story:

< The above image is cropped. The full image can be found here: https://www.popsci.com/humans-genetical ... o-bananas/ >

Bananas are listed as 44.1% similar. Chimpanzees are listed as 98.8% similar and Gorillas 98% similar. That's a drastic difference.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Tcg wrote: Bananas are listed as 44.1% similar. Chimpanzees are listed as 98.8% similar and Gorillas 98% similar. That's a drastic difference.
Good example of research exposing statements that are false or misleading or misunderstood.

Bible believers, has theology provided any comparable information based upon real-world research / studies? Or does the Bible reflect the knowledge base of common people living thousands of years ago? Do you (generic term) depend upon medical knowledge from that era? What even suggests they knew any more about 'gods' than about medicine?

The genetic similarity of life forms seems to suggest they are related somehow -- perhaps as the product of evolution.
Non-Theist

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

bjs wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Are humans related to apes?

Yes, human are genetically very similar to apes.

Zzyzx wrote: On what basis can argument be made that the classification is in error?
It would depend on what classification system we are using. Genetics are one way to classify living creatures. There are others. Certainly humans stand apart from all other surviving species in many important ways.
Yes …!

We can classify living creatures BIBLICALLY

And imagine (we can do nothing else) that we are miniature replicas of "God" …

"God" being the mythological Jehovah who created this little person's ancestor out of mud 6,000 years ago.

We can appeal - using appealing pictures - to human emotion to accept this as reality …

And we can ignore the good hard science that says it's just primitive superstition and make-believe by ancient humans who didn't know any better.

However ...

Please allow me to introduce the grandmother I met in science class

And please allow me to say that I am proud to have evolved in her image ...

Rather than created in the image of the barbaric, genocidal, bigoted, unstable, bloodthirsty (and thankfully imaginary) biblical deity, Jehovah/Yahweh/Whatever.

I love my science grandmother for pleasant reasons.

I can think of no pleasant reason to love the genocidal old bigot, Jehovah.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Danmark »

Homo Sapiens are not 'related' to apes. They ARE apes.

The Hominidae (/hɒˈmɪnɪdi�/), whose members are known as great apes or hominids (/ˈhɒmɪnɪdz/), are a taxonomic family of primates that includes eight extant species in four genera: Pongo, the Bornean, Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutan; Gorilla, the eastern and western gorilla; Pan, the common chimpanzee and the bonobo; and Homo, of whom only modern humans remain, with several extinct relatives (e.g., the Neanderthal) and ancestors, such as Homo erectus.
[emphasis applied]

Groves, C.P. (2005). Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. (eds.). Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 181–184.

For a thousand years or so, despite evidence, there has been a concerted effort to classify 'man' as separate from other animals. This non scientific, mythic, and religious claim is based on the notion that man has a 'soul;' that he is somehow special because 'the Bible told me so.' This is, of course, nonsense.

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Yes, 'he' who made the tiger made the lamb and man.

What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

_ William Blake

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

William: The Human Form is related to every other form. Secular or theistic beliefs which serve to separate our minds from understanding that basic fact, are unhelpful.

Willum
Savant

Post #9

Post by Willum »

Well, I know I am. Momma and pappa were both apes.

Let's face it, the alternative is to be related to mud.

Apes... mud, apes...mud...

Some people actually brag about having mud as a grandfather...

Oddly, my nephew is a monkey.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Danmark »

The Biblical perspective is the flat Earth, geocentric perspective. Christian and Islamic fundamentalism are anti truth and pro fable.