Believing in Christianity: A Major Life Decision?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Believing in Christianity: A Major Life Decision?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

In another thread a Christian attempted to belittle me for having once believed in the religion only to discover later than the religion is false. His implication was that if I would change my mind concerning major life decisions like this then I can't be very credible. (the old: Discredit your debate opponent tactic)

So I've decided to put the question to Christians:

1. Does Christianity dictate your major life decisions?

2. And if so, how would you choose to live differently if you weren't a Christian?

Debate Questions:

If a Christian claims that they would live their life differently if they weren't a Christian, doesn't this imply that they aren't being true to themselves when living life as a Christian?

Also, wouldn't the manner they would choose to live their lives, if not a Christian, reveal who they truly are at the core of their character?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

The Tanager
Savant

Post #2

Post by The Tanager »

Divine Insight wrote:Debate Questions:

If a Christian claims that they would live their life differently if they weren't a Christian, doesn't this imply that they aren't being true to themselves when living life as a Christian?

Also, wouldn't the manner they would choose to live their lives, if not a Christian, reveal who they truly are at the core of their character?
No, for the Christian could be cognizant of the fact that our worldview influences how we live our life. For instance, if you think your grandparents need their strength to hunt in the life after this one, then you might think it best to kill the elderly before they become too infirmed.
Divine Insight wrote:1. Does Christianity dictate your major life decisions?
Yes.
Divine Insight wrote:2. And if so, how would you choose to live differently if you weren't a Christian?
The decision making process would have had different features, although that doesn't necessarily mean that I would have made different choices, ultimately. I would not have married my wife, for sure. If you mean from this point forward, it would affect things in the same kind of ways. I wouldn't go to church. It could affect my career (what types of places I could teach at, for example). I'm would think it would affect plenty of things.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

The Tanager wrote: I would not have married my wife, for sure.
Can you say what it is about Christian beliefs that would have prevented you from marrying your wife?

Would it have been better to have not married her?

Does she agree?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Re: Believing in Christianity: A Major Life Decision?

Post #4

Post by Peds nurse »

DI wrote:1. Does Christianity dictate your major life decisions?
It definitely influences my major life decisions.
DI wrote:2. And if so, how would you choose to live differently if you weren't a Christian?
Honestly DI, I don't know how to answer this question. It's like asking me how I would choose to live differently without my husband. We have been married almost 33 years...it has had it's challenges, but life has been so good, that I can't imagine anything different.

DI wrote:If a Christian claims that they would live their life differently if they weren't a Christian, doesn't this imply that they aren't being true to themselves when living life as a Christian?
I see your point, but I really don't want to be true to myself, I want to be true to God. What if being more true to God was way better than being true to one's self?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #5

Post by The Tanager »

Zzyzx wrote: .
The Tanager wrote: I would not have married my wife, for sure.
Can you say what it is about Christian beliefs that would have prevented you from marrying your wife?

Would it have been better to have not married her?

Does she agree?
We probably would not have met (we met through a Christian organization on our respective college campuses). Even if we did meet, she would not have married a non-Christian (2 Cor 6). If the conversion happened after marriage, she would have stayed married with me (1 Cor 7). I think my life would have been much worse without her because of how amazing she is. I do think there is wisdom in not marrying someone whose worldview is vastly different than yours.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1]

Divine Insight: Does Christianity dictate your major life decisions?

William: If anything, serendipity and synchronicity help navigate me through this experience called 'reality'. Christianity has its mystical aspect, which I find most interesting and thus am most influenced by.

Divine Insight: And if so, how would you choose to live differently if you weren't a Christian?

William: I wouldn't choose to live differently than how I am presently enjoying experiencing this reality. I chose to live differently by choosing Christianity, although...what we each actually mean by "Christianity" differs from individual to individual regardless of whether they are theist or not. So the question is somewhat ambiguous.

Divine Insight: If a Christian claims that they would live their life differently if they weren't a Christian, doesn't this imply that they aren't being true to themselves when living life as a Christian?

William: No. It can imply whatever one chooses to place on it. Sir Elton John springs to mind as one recent example I have witnessed. He accepts that he wasn't being true to himself during the years of his rampant substance abuse, and that recognizing a higher power was helpful to his process of getting out of that state.
Why should a Christian be measured any different? Why should Christianity be judged something which makes people 'not be true to themselves?'
Again, the ambiguity. What does it mean for each individual to 'be true to their self'?

Divine Insight: Also, wouldn't the manner they would choose to live their lives, if not a Christian, reveal who they truly are at the core of their character?

William: What do you think of as the "true core of ones character"?
Is that a scientific term? I think it more a philosophical concept.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

William wrote: Why should a Christian be measured any different? Why should Christianity be judged something which makes people 'not be true to themselves?'
That's basically my point. The Christian I mentioned in the OP was implying that because I discovered that Christianity was false, it should then follow that I would suddenly change how I make major life decisions. :roll:

It didn't. Nor would I need to make any major changes to revert back to embracing Christianity, save for the major change of embracing obvious lies. That's certainly not a decision that I would make, and this is why I'll never become a Christian again.
William wrote: What do you think of as the "true core of ones character"?
Is that a scientific term? I think it more a philosophical concept.
You can define it however you like. I simply see it as being someone's "true character".

If a Christian tells me (as many of them have) that if they discovered that Christianity is false and there is no God they would no longer have any reason to behave morally. They would have no problem cheating, stealing, lying, raping, and even killing people they don't like.

I would suggest that they have just revealed their "true character" right there.

I no longer believe in Christianity, or that there exists a God who is going to judge my moral character. Yet I don't go around cheating, stealing, lying, raping, and even killing people that I don't like because that's not who I am. So ironically, I wouldn't even need to worry about any Gods who might judge me by my moral character. All I need to do is be myself and I'd pass any moral judgements with flying colors. And this is even true according to Christian morality.

So you can know that this is my "true character", because I have no motivation do nasty things. But clearly many Christians not only restrain themselves from nasty behaviors, but openly confess that if they thought there was no God to hold them responsible they wouldn't have any problem doing nasty things.

You can think about this scientifically, or philosophically, either way it says volumes about the true character of the people in question.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by ]

Divine Insight: If a Christian tells me (as many of them have) that if they discovered that Christianity is false and there is no God they would no longer have any reason to behave morally. They would have no problem cheating, stealing, lying, raping, and even killing people they don't like.

I would suggest that they have just revealed their "true character" right there.

William: So the point you are attempting to make, is that people should 'be their true selves', even if that means doing all those things?

Or is it a good thing that Christianity helps them not to act out as their 'true selves'?

Would you still try and convince someone they should believe as you do, that Christianity is False, even if they told you they would commit atrocities?
:-k

The Tanager
Savant

Post #9

Post by The Tanager »

Divine Insight wrote:If a Christian tells me (as many of them have) that if they discovered that Christianity is false and there is no God they would no longer have any reason to behave morally. They would have no problem cheating, stealing, lying, raping, and even killing people they don't like.

I see two things going on there. If I were no longer a Christian, then I don't think my specific moral views would change that much, if at all. But I do think that becoming an atheist would turn me from an objectivist to a subjectivist.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Divine Insight wrote: …1. Does Christianity dictate your major life decisions?

2. And if so, how would you choose to live differently if you weren't a Christian?
Being a Christian is itself the decision that dictates. If person doesn’t choose to be a Christian, it itself determines that person lives differently.
Divine Insight wrote:If a Christian claims that they would live their life differently if they weren't a Christian, doesn't this imply that they aren't being true to themselves when living life as a Christian?

Also, wouldn't the manner they would choose to live their lives, if not a Christian, reveal who they truly are at the core of their character?[/b][/color]
If there is no difference, why call it Christian or non-Christian? But I agree, it would not be honest to call oneself Christian, if one doesn’t really want to be a Christian.