Importuning the Paraclete

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Importuning the Paraclete

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

"Our Father who art in Heaven" is importuning Jehovah/Yahweh the mythological "God the Father" aspect of a Christian concept of God. But there are no reports of Jehovah visiting this planet since he showed his "hindparts" to Moses.

"Dear Lord and Saviour" is importuning the possibly fictional "God the Son" Jesus aspect. But Jesus has not been seen since he Ascended to the ceiling of the Genesis 1 Dome of Heaven.

However …

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. John 14:16 NLT

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. Romans 8:26 NLT

Apparently - since no one has had confirmed contact with either Jehovah or Jesus for 2,000 years or so - it's only the "God the Holy Spirit/Ghost" that is here with us down on the floor of the Dome of Heaven.

Would it be more theologically correct to direct our prayerful importunings to the groaning Holy Spirit/Ghost, rather than the other two aspects of a Christian concept of God …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Importuning the Paraclete

Post #11

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: But, I am interested to hear, how would you help someone who has lost someone?
Many seem to think that 'Sending thoughts and prayers' and 'You'll see them again in heaven' will help people get over the loss.

Rather than evoke wishful thinking and supernaturalism, I can look for what the bereaved may need in real life (from someone to be with them and listen to doing mundane tasks) realizing that nothing can be done to eliminate their grief.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
However, I don’t think atheists would have to do anything, because there is no atheistic rule book that tells what they should do. Obviously, it is possible that atheist helps, but I think it is wrong to say “would have to do something�. For atheists there is no God who says “love your neighbor as yourself�, like it is for Christians.
Those who help without a rule book do so for internal reasons, they are self motivated to help.

Those who help only because of a rule book do so for external reasons, they are not self motivated to help.

Neither group "would have to do something", but the first group does so because they want to, not because some book demands it.

Atheists who love others as themselves do so because of their own internal desire to love. One does not need to believe in a God which orders love, in order to love freely. For many, it comes naturally.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: …Many seem to think that 'Sending thoughts and prayers' and 'You'll see them again in heaven' will help people get over the loss.

Rather than evoke wishful thinking and supernaturalism, I can look for what the bereaved may need in real life (from someone to be with them and listen to doing mundane tasks) realizing that nothing can be done to eliminate their grief.
Ok, so, if nothing can be done to eliminate the grief, I don’t see why complain, if someone is sending just “thoughts and prayers�. Maybe they are not helpful for atheist, but at least it is sympathy. Also, that one is 'Sending thoughts and prayers' doesn’t necessary mean that person is then not going to do any mundane tasks. By what I know, many Christians help in such things, even if someone has not lost somebody. But of course, there are many kinds of people (atheists and Christian), some may not do anything, but I think it is very ignorant and stupid to claim that all that Christian do is 'Send thoughts and prayers'. And then there is also the problem that you cannot prove that it wouldn’t help.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: …Atheists who love others as themselves do so because of their own internal desire to love. One does not need to believe in a God which orders love, in order to love freely. For many, it comes naturally…
Sorry, I have difficulties to believe that. By my experience many people, atheists and Christians, “love� only because they expect that they are “rewarded�, that they get the same things back. I think it is not good.

If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil.
Luke 6:33-35

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: …Atheists who love others as themselves do so because of their own internal desire to love. One does not need to believe in a God which orders love, in order to love freely. For many, it comes naturally…
Sorry, I have difficulties to believe that.
Having difficulty believing something has no bearing on the truth or falsity of any issue. If the difficulty is based on nothing other than prejudice against a certain group of people, the belief should be held as highly questionable.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom