So is the resurrected Jesus flesh or spirit?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

In Luke's gospel Jesus tells his disciples after his resurrection.....
Luke 24:39(King James Version)
39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I think that this verse is quite definite in saying that the risen Jesus was flesh.
But the Scriptures by the Apostle Paul in 1Corinthians 15 are quite definite that the risen Jesus is spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:45(King James Version)
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:50(King James Version)
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Or is this just more evidence that the Bible is fiction?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #2

Post by brianbbs67 »

15;45 is an interesting start on the soul. The Hebrew word is Nephesh in the Tanakh. It literally means dirt plus the breath of God. So we are not a creature with a soul, but a living soul. So, we return to dirt and God's breath returns to Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: So is the resurrected Jesus flesh or spirit?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Red Wolf wrote:

According to the bible Jesus returned to his former position as a spirit as he was in the beginning. ...do Jesus (the word) is a spirit, just like God and all the angels are spirits. Spirits have spirit bodies not physical ones.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by polonius »

"In Luke's gospel Jesus tells his disciples after his resurrection.....
39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I think that this verse is quite definite in saying that the risen Jesus was flesh.
But the Scriptures by the Apostle Paul in 1Corinthians 15 are quite definite that the risen Jesus is spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:45(King James Version) "

RESPONSE: Acts of the Apostles tells us that Jesus remained on earth for 40 days before his ascension. Paul (not a witness) claims that Jesus was seen by 500 people.

But there is no report from anyone that he was seen by anyone nor is their a report that he "ascended" for 20 years or longer. Does it really seem that no one reported his Resurrection?

Thus is this a creditable bit of history?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Red Wolf wrote:

According to the bible Jesus returned to his former position as a spirit as he was in the beginning. ...do Jesus (the word) is a spirit, just like God and all the angels are spirits. Spirits have spirit bodies not physical ones.
Jesus demonstrated after His resurrection that he was flesh and bones -- a material, physical body -- and not spirit:
  • "And He said to them, 'Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.' And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, 'Have you anything here to eat?' They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; and He took it and ate it before them." [Luke 24:38-43]
John was just as clear:
  • "But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying. And they said to her, 'Woman, why are you weeping?' She said to them, 'Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.' When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?' Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, 'Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, 'Rabboni!' (which means, Teacher). Jesus said to her, 'Stop clinging to Me...' " [John 20:11-17]

"After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, 'Peace be with you.' Then He said to Thomas, 'Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side...' " [John 20:26-27]
There is absolutely nothing anywhere in the Bible even implying that Jesus was once spirit or that he became spirit after his resurrection or ascension. We read clearly of the ascension:
  • "And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them. They also said, 'Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.' â€� [Acts 1:9-11]
He ascended in bodily form, physical as can be, and will return in the same way.

Jesus was never spirit and will never be, as He is unchanging, the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

Grace and peace to you all.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

PinSeeker wrote: Jesus was never spirit and will never be, as He is unchanging, the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

And what about the word, was The Word ever a spirit? Was he flesh and blood in the beginning when he was with God? Did he [The WORD] become flesh or was he always flesh?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Red Wolf »

brianbbs67 wrote: 15;45 is an interesting start on the soul. The Hebrew word is Nephesh in the Tanakh. It literally means dirt plus the breath of God. So we are not a creature with a soul, but a living soul. So, we return to dirt and God's breath returns to Him.
So do we discard the following verse?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Red Wolf wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: 15;45 is an interesting start on the soul. The Hebrew word is Nephesh in the Tanakh. It literally means dirt plus the breath of God. So we are not a creature with a soul, but a living soul. So, we return to dirt and God's breath returns to Him.
So do we discard the following verse?

No we are to check what the Hebrew nephesh means from bible usage, check if the word is used in Luke 24:39 and then employ critical thinking skills to come to a conclusion that harmonizes all the ideas.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Red Wolf »

Paul says that 500 brethren at once saw the risen Jesus. Very impressive! I wonder if the story would be twice as believable had he been seen by 1000 brethren at one time. The 500 witnesses does not harmonize with the story of the receiving of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost (Acts chapters 1 and 2) where it is reported that Jesus only had 120 followers who were meeting in the upper room.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
PinSeeker wrote: Jesus was never spirit and will never be, as He is unchanging, the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

And what about the word, was The Word ever a spirit? Was he flesh and blood in the beginning when he was with God? Did he [The WORD] become flesh or was he always flesh?
As you know, JW -- or should, anyway; I believe you have even said it -- in the word 'flesh,' John clearly refers to the nature rather than mere flesh and bone. Paul does the same in several places. Yes, the Word -- Jesus -- took on human form and at His birth (conception, really). What is being said there is regarding His human nature, which He took on at birth/conception, in addition to His divine nature which He had from eternity past to eternity future. This is John's emphasis THROUGHOUT his Gospel, the spiritual rather than the physical. To read only physicality into this is totally antithetical to John's (ultimately God's) context.

In answer to your question, we agree somewhat... but only to a very limited degree. He (Jesus) was not flesh -- possessive of a human nature -- before his conception/birth but only the divine. And he is not "flesh" -- possessive of human nature -- since His resurrection, but only possessive of the Godly nature. And, in like manner, we will be, too, when we pass this world or when Jesus comes back, whichever comes back. And we will have our renewed, physical bodies, just like Jesus.

Again, John is not speaking of the physical body in John 1, but rather His nature. No allusion to the physical body or lack thereof is being made in any shape, form, or fashion. To think so is to take John (and really the whole of Scripture) out of context.

I do not expect you will embrace that. But it is what it is.

Grace and peace to you.