So is the resurrected Jesus flesh or spirit?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

In Luke's gospel Jesus tells his disciples after his resurrection.....
Luke 24:39(King James Version)
39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I think that this verse is quite definite in saying that the risen Jesus was flesh.
But the Scriptures by the Apostle Paul in 1Corinthians 15 are quite definite that the risen Jesus is spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:45(King James Version)
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:50(King James Version)
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Or is this just more evidence that the Bible is fiction?

brunumb
Savant

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 60 by Yahwehismywitness]
Of that time period what writings are suitable have some from Irenaeus or Eusebius. Tertulian do any of these interest you?
No. Only first hand accounts please. hearsay and unverified claims are worthless.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by Checkpoint »

brunumb wrote: [Replying to post 60 by Yahwehismywitness]
Of that time period what writings are suitable have some from Irenaeus or Eusebius. Tertulian do any of these interest you?
No. Only first hand accounts please. hearsay and unverified claims are worthless.
Likewise, unverified claims in the negative from today's critics are equally worthless.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #63

Post by onewithhim »

brunumb wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 52 by brunumb]

Your reasoning evades my humble mind. All I can say to your somewhat undiscernable post is: Jesus stuck around for 40 days after being resurrected, so he did show hundreds of people that he was alive again.

No one of any significance unfortunately. The 40 days is only an unverified claim.
I don't think you can make a judgment as to the significance of the people to whom Jesus appeared, and the 40 days is as verified as any of the verses in the Bible.

tam
Savant

Re: Jesus flesh or Spirit

Post #64

Post by tam »

Peace to you dear onewithhim, and to you all,
onewithhim wrote:
Yehwahismywitness wrote: The bible is clear Jesus appeared as flesh as he was born and conceived to human beings.
Matthew 3:16:17 And Jesus when he was baptized , went up straightaway out of the water: and lo the heavens were opened unto him, and saw the Spirit of Yahweh descending like a dove and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

A cloud received him they beheld HIM if he was spirit they would not be able to see it. Acts 1:9-10 the Son of man will appear and all shall see in the clouds Matthew 24:30 Return same as resurrection all shall see

The confusion is the voice and lightening Saul saw. Satan fell as lightening. Luke 10:18 It was in wilderness Yeshua tempted by Satan was a spirit Matthew 4 Read down to verse 7-8 Satan promised glory from all the kingdoms of the world. Damascus wilderness road 1 Kings 19:15

Think this is why Yeshua wrote Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Yeshua or there: Believe it not. Matthew 24:23
The disciples saw Jesus go up into the clouds because he had been appearing to them for the last 40 days in a materialized body. He certainly went back to his spirit body upon further ascending to heaven.

Jesus will come again as he went up into the clouds. He was hidden from their sight. He will return the same way---hidden from literal eye-sight. (Let him who has ears to hear, hear.)

"While they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight." (Acts 1:9)

They couldn't see him anymore. When he returns, mankind on the earth will "see" him with their eyes of understanding. Don't we say, when we understand something, "oh, I see"?

If you don't see it, re-read I Peter 3:18 and I Corinthians 15:45.

After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,� they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same [Jesus], who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.�

If He is going to return in the same way that they saw Him go, then would they not also see Him (with their physical eyes)? Just as they saw Him go up, they will also see Him return? They did not see Him go up with their 'eyes of understanding'. They literally saw Him go up.

Would not the reverse be that He returns in a cloud (Mark 13:26), but will then be literally seen?

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

brunumb
Savant

Post #65

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 63 by onewithhim]
I don't think you can make a judgment as to the significance of the people to whom Jesus appeared, and the 40 days is as verified as any of the verses in the Bible.
No credible, verifiable witnesses regardless of their significance really. They are all contained within a narrative that consists of claims only. Being as verified as any of the verses in the Bible means pretty much the same as unverified.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #66

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

[Replying to post 64 by tam]

Agree with you Tammy he was seen.

Bless you

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #67

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

[Replying to post 65 by brunumb]

Both Irenaeus and Tertullian[3] record that Polycarp had been a disciple of John the Apostle.[4] In Illustrious Men.17, Jerome writes that Polycarp was a disciple of John and that John had ordained him bishop of Smyrna.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarp

Two witnesses of Apostle John

onewithhim
Savant

Post #68

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 64 by tam]

No. All other scripture indicates that Jesus will be seen no more with the literal eye. Many times when Jesus spoke about "seeing" he was referring to understanding and then acting on that understanding.

"And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: 'You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means SEE. For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.'" (Matthew 13:14,15)

Do you see that Jesus compared understanding with "seeing"?

Here he further makes the point about "seeing" something: "Do you not yet SEE the point, or do you not remember the five loaves in the case of the 5,000 and how many baskets you took up?" (Matt.16:9)

"Jesus said to them: 'If you were blind, you would have no sin. But now you say, 'We SEE.' Your sin remains." (John 9:41)

When Jesus comes back, no one will see him with literal eyes, but everyone will understand. Why would Jesus take back a physical body that people could see? He has taken on a spirit body that is so glorious that men can't look at it, or look at the surroundings that he is now in. (I Timothy 6:16)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #69

Post by onewithhim »

brunumb wrote: [Replying to post 63 by onewithhim]
No credible, verifiable witnesses regardless of their significance really. They are all contained within a narrative that consists of claims only. Being as verified as any of the verses in the Bible means pretty much the same as unverified.
True.....in your eyes. Well, that's between you and Jehovah.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #70

Post by onewithhim »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: [Replying to post 64 by tam]

Agree with you Tammy he was seen.

Bless you
Yes, seen until the clouds obscured him. Why is it so necessary for you to believe you will literally see him again?