So is the resurrected Jesus flesh or spirit?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by Red Wolf »

In Luke's gospel Jesus tells his disciples after his resurrection.....
Luke 24:39(King James Version)
39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I think that this verse is quite definite in saying that the risen Jesus was flesh.
But the Scriptures by the Apostle Paul in 1Corinthians 15 are quite definite that the risen Jesus is spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:45(King James Version)
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1 Corinthians 15:50(King James Version)
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Or is this just more evidence that the Bible is fiction?

earl
Scholar

Post #81

Post by earl »

The reasonable answer,
No one knew,understood, fathomed,could process,etc. the exact substance Jesus' appearance is,was would be like.
Human flesh cannot suddenly appear,disappear,be here one moment and vanish from sight human sight.
The gospel where Jesus asked Thomas to touch him is not reliable compared to the other gospel and Mary's contact with him..It's 2 to 1.
The idea of Jesus returning to say his temporary good by's in a substance unknown to man would not have registered in the minds of that day nor today .It would be considered magic by those nay sayers.
Where as we know there was no magic or illusions but just confusion in the mind as to how Jesus returned from the dead body he once possessed without that same body.
Flesh and blood cannot go to heaven.
John's revelation states the new arrivals in heaven will be clothed in white.This is another way,with John's understanding of his vision,that this clothing is another form of substance that gives a person a bodily form. And not carbon based.Don't you think?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #82

Post by onewithhim »

Off the top of my head....I would say that Jesus asked Thomas to touch him so that Thomas would see that He, Jesus, was not an illusion, to prove He had truly been brought back to life. Mary was a different issue. I think she wanted to hug him or cling to him, but that would've been a bit awkward I imagine. He said, "I have not yet ascended to my Father." Maybe he was thinking about the time when He would meet her in heaven at the end of days, and that would be the time to hug or whatever spirit people do.

earl
Scholar

Post #83

Post by earl »

You listed 2 of the 3 contacts.
What do you do with the other one?The 2 nd gospel version ?Jesus said ,"because you have seen me ..."