Aside from the Gospels what do we know of Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Aside from the Gospels what do we know of Jesus?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

“Jesus[e] (c. 4 BC – c. AD 30 / 33), also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus Christ,[f] was a first-century Jewish preacher and religious leader.[12] He is the central figure of Christianity. Most Christians believe he is the incarnation of God the Son and the awaited Messiah (the Christ) prophesied in the Old Testament.[13][14]

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically,[g] although the quest for the historical Jesus has produced little agreement on the historical reliability of the Gospels and on how closely the Jesus portrayed in the Bible reflects the historical Jesus�

“The Roman historian Tacitus wrote: Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of ... Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome

Question: Do we have historically accurate information about Jesus?

Keep in mind, the gospels were written between 70 and about 95 AD, by non-witnesses. Mark wrote and Matthew and Luke copied mush of their material from him.

Are there any historical writings written earlier say 20-25 years from his
death? How much is historical and how much allegorical?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by Difflugia »

brianbbs67 wrote:There is some disagreement from me on your claim about the Arabic.
You're right. I misremembered the details of the text and should have looked it up.

It's not the argument I was making, but the detail I miffed is that some scholars argue that the Testimonium in the Arabic text is based on Eusebius rather than a direct translation of Josephus. In my head, that became the Arabic text completely lacking the Testimonium.