One or two?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Gracchus
Apprentice

One or two?

Post #1

Post by Gracchus »

In Galatians 2:7 a person named Πέτ�ος (Peter, Latin: rock [Rocky ?]) is mentioned, then in Galatians 2:9 a person named Κηφᾶς (Kephas, Greek: cumin, the aromatic seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used as a spice ) is mentioned. Is there any reason, Biblical or otherwise, to believe these names (likely nick-names) are referring to the same person?

:-s

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

[Replying to post 10 by Overcomer]

Michael is called the chief prince of Yahweh's people. Jesus is King of heaven and earth there is major difference. Don't know where this idea came from.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Overcomer]

Michael is called the chief prince of Yahweh's people. Jesus is King of heaven and earth there is major difference. Don't know where this idea came from.
This Michael idea was suggested by onewithhim in post 07.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #13

Post by onewithhim »

Overcomer wrote: onewithin wrote:
A person having more than one name was common in those days. Even Jesus has two names--Yeshua and Michael. (Or maybe that's 3 names.)
Where does the Bible state that?
Why is there difficulty in accepting the fact that Jesus had 2 names? Actually 3. Michael, Yeshua, and Jesus. There is ample evidence that Jesus is the same person as Michael. By looking at Daniel 12:1 can you figure out why we can tell that he is Jesus?

Last edited by onewithhim on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #14

Post by onewithhim »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Overcomer]

Michael was THE prince of heaven, not just one of the chief princes. I've done some research on that.

He wasn't the King yet, in Daniel's time, but he was appointed to be the King in the future.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #15

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 10 by Overcomer]

As close as I can come to that thing , is that Mik a el means like unto God. A name he was given after the Adversary said he would build a throne and be Mi ka El and the unnamed member of the host repelled the adversary and was renamed by God. The legend of the Talmud gives no prior name and I don't trust the source.(if Hebrews did it would be scripture)

We all can be like God in a small way, if we chose too. Doesn't mean were are. Means we imitated His actions one time or more. Equal and like are way different flavors.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #16

Post by onewithhim »

There is no response to my question? Considering Daniel 12:1, what information is there that would lead someone to believe that Michael must be Jesus Christ?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #17

Post by brianbbs67 »

onewithhim wrote: There is no response to my question? Considering Daniel 12:1, what information is there that would lead someone to believe that Michael must be Jesus Christ?

The Hebrew of that Is " like unto God". Doesn't designate a person. Unless your question is different?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
Overcomer wrote: onewithin wrote:
A person having more than one name was common in those days. Even Jesus has two names--Yeshua and Michael. (Or maybe that's 3 names.)
Where does the Bible state that?
Why is there difficulty in accepting the fact that Jesus had 2 names? Actually 3. Michael, Yeshua, and Jesus. There is ample evidence that Jesus is the same person as Michael. By looking at Daniel 12:1 can you figure out why we can tell that he is Jesus?
I think this is the post that asked the question no one has answered.

The Son of God and of Man was named Jesus, that was the name chosen by God and conveyed to his mother around the time of his conception in her.
HELPS Word-studies:

2424 Iēsoús – Jesus, the transliteration of the Hebrew term, 3091 /Lṓt ("Yehoshua"/Jehoshua, contracted to "Joshua") which means "Yahweh saves" (or "Yahweh is salvation").
Jesus was his only name then, but of course Scripture has assigned to him many other names. One of these is Immanuel.

Michael is not one of them, and has never been one of them.

D aniel 12:1 does not tell anything about Jesus.

Michael is not Jesus, and Jesus is not Michael. They are separate and different persons.

Finally, here now is my answer to your question.

No, I can't figure out how you can tell that Michael is Jesus by looking at Daniel 12:1.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #19

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 18 by Checkpoint]

So Jesus had no name before coming to Earth and receiving the name "Jesus"? I have no qualms about believing his name was Michael. Why not? He had to have SOME name. The description of Michael fits a description of Jesus that we are aware of in the New Testament, especially when he foretells what he will be doing at the end of this system of things.

"Michael will stand up" during the end time, the great Prince. Who besides Jesus could this be? Michael is not mentioned in any of the Gospels concerning the end of the system.....just Jesus is. There is no mention anywhere else of any other "great Prince." Is there some other "great Prince" that is on a par with Jesus? Point him out to me in the Gospels, please. Show me where this prince that isn't Jesus is involved in standing up for the people in the "time of distress such as has not been made to occur since there came to be a nation until that time." Where is he in Matthew's or Luke's account of the end times and the Great Tribulation?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 19 by onewithhim]
So Jesus had no name before coming to Earth and receiving the name "Jesus"? I have no qualms about believing his name was Michael. Why not? He had to have SOME name.
According to both JWs and other believers, before coming to earth his name was "The Word/Logos".