Checkpoint
Prodigy

God's truth about hell

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

This thread stems from this short beginning exchange about hell and truth:

Checkpoint wrote:

Hi again, Pinseeker.

What is it that makes them "truths" rather than "untruths", as you see them, in brief ?

What specifically makes them "very hard truths", do you think?

Pinseeker wrote

Hey, Checkpoint.

I guess the only way to answer the first question is, if God says it, it's true.

To the second, I would say "very hard truths" does not mean "very difficult-to-undertand truths." What I mean is, many people do not want to hear about hell, and/or do not want to accept God's truth about hell. It scares them, it offends them, it's obcene to them... etc. Even believers like me just... well, I shudder at it. It... well, it scares the H-E-double-toothpick out of me. But it's important, even vital to our understanding of the Gospel. Take a look at this if you want:

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/hell/[/quote]

Checkpoint responded

Ah yes Pinseeker, what you say here raises questions rather than gives answers, in my opinion.

1) Do we really grasp what "God's truth about hell" actually is?

2) In what way is it "important, even vital, to our understanding of the Gospel"?

3) Why is there such strong, even visceral, reaction to "God's truth about hell", so often expressed by both believers and unbelievers?

4) Who, or what, is being questioned here? God, or the Bible, or an interpretation?

Please discuss, debate, and/or give your answer to any of these questions, or just comment or make an observation.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: God's truth about hell

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Checkpoint wrote: Please discuss, debate, and/or give your answer to any of these questions, or just comment or make an observation.
I would like to offer my observations on these questions. My observations should be seen as those of an educated human, and not a believe or non-believe. Belief or non-belief wouldn't change my answers.

My answer from the perspective of a believer:

If I actually believed in this God I shouldn't be the slightest bit worried about hell. I certainly would have no reason to think that I would end up in such horrible fate.

So as a believer the concept of hell, for me personally, would be irrelevant.

I would also TRUST in God that no one would ever be cast into hell who doesn't actually deserve to be there. And if they truly deserve to be there, then what's the problem? :-k

So unless a believer is truly intentionally evil I can't imagine why they should even be remotely concerned about hell in this religion. Any concern could only be a distrust in God to only cast people into hell who truly deserve that fate.

My answer from the perspective of a non-believer:

Obviously as a non-believer I do not believe that hell even exists. None the less I can still speak to the issue of a supposedly all-wise, all-intelligent, omnipotent God having created such a place. It simply makes no sense to me. This God would have also been the one who created everyone who ends up being cast into hell. This would then mean that God is an inept creator who cannot create humans who are better than this. And it also would mean that this God is incapable of curing evil people.

In short, the very concept of hell demands that a creator is extremely inept, in both his ability to create decent humans, as well as in his ability to heal those who aren't mentally healthy.

And surely to have evil thoughts and intentions that cannot be cured qualifies as an unhealthy mind.

So the very concept of a creator God who casts his defective humans into a state of eternal punishment is utterly absurd. It flies in the very face of the omnipotence this God is supposed to have in the first place.

2) In what way is it "important, even vital, to our understanding of the Gospel"?

If the theology is true, then of course the threat of being cast into eternal damnation is the crux of Christianity. What would we need a "Savior" for if this thread of death and damnation where not first hanging over our heads.

I've made this point a million times over. If you don't first have faith that some God is out to damn you, then it's ridiculous to place your faith in a "savior" who will save you from a damnation that you claim to not have first placed your faith in.

So before you can place your faith in the need of a savior, you must first place your faith in the idea that you deserve to be damned.

As a non-believer it's basically the same story. You need to first place your faith in the idea that a God is out to damn you before it makes sense that you need a savior to save you from damnation.

So the importance of hell (or at least damnation) is paramount to Christianity and the Gospel stories. Without the threat of damnation, there is no need for a savior.

3) Why is there such strong, even visceral, reaction to "God's truth about hell", so often expressed by both believers and unbelievers?

Again, as a believer there is no reason to have any strong or visceral reaction to the concept of hell. To do so can only suggest that the believe has no trust in God to do what's righteous. If anyone goes to hell it can only be the righteous thing to do. Otherwise God would be doing unrighteous deeds by sending people into hell.

So for a believer to find hell or "everlasting punishment" as Jesus puts it, to be unrighteous, then they can hardly trust their God to be righteous.

Basically the same things still holds here as well. It would either be righteous to cast people into a state of eternal punishment, or it wouldn't be. Personally I don't see how such an act could ever be justified as any competent creator should be able to create better humans in the first place, and if he can't then casting them into a state of punishment when he's the one who created them with flaws to begin with makes no sense.

So as a non-believer I just see this whole scenario as verifying why this religion makes no sense. And intelligent omnipotent creator should be able to do far better than this, but this religion has an inept creator who can't do any better.

It makes far more sense to me to then conclude that the whole collection of stories is nothing short of man-made nonsense since no actual omnipotent creator could even be this ignorant and inept.

So there's really no reason to believe these religious claims in the first place.

4) Who, or what, is being questioned here? God, or the Bible, or an interpretation?

If we're going to believe in this religion we have no choice but to accept what the Bible has to say on these matters. Which isn't good. But we have to have faith that there exist reasons (beyond what can be found in the Bible) for why this God cannot do any better. Nowhere does the Bible explain why this God is inept.

So the idea as a "believer" is to cling to the hope that after we die God will explain to us at that time why the Bible makes no sense.

On the other hand, if any "real God" is not what the Bible describes, then the Biblical God is indeed a false picture of God anyway.

So trying to justify any of this as a believer is a serious problem. Let there be no doubt about this as even believers currently recognize and debate over these problems as this very thread puts on display for us.

Well, as a non-believer I'm certainly not questioning any God as I don't believe the Bible portrays any actual God.

Do I question the Bible? No not at all. I accept the Bible as it is written. Not as the word of God, but as a collection of stories where men have claimed to speak on behalf of a God that they have invented.

Do I question interpretations? Well this is a rather difficult one to answer.

IMHO, there can be no interpretations that dismiss the concept of hell entirely. The New Testament has Jesus speaking clearly about the unrighteous going the way of "everlasting punishment".

So for me there is no question of interpretation in the Bible. According to the Bible this Biblical God is out to punish people who aren't righteous.

My question is then why would an omnipotent God who is supposed to be able to do anything and heal anyone create unrighteous people in the first place an not heal them?

Even Jesus was supposed to have the power to simply cast evil demons out of people. Where do these evil demons come from? Who created them? And why didn't their creator heal them?

In short, as far as I'm concerned no amount of "interpretation" can save these ancient stories from their own self-contradictory nature. Trying to reinterpret the Bible into something consistent and sane simply isn't possible.

As far as I can see the only rational solution is to recognize that it's just another religious fable. That's all. There is no God who is threatening to cast defective humans into hell.

If defective humans exist, only God could be responsible for that in the first place.

And if God is incapable of creating mentally healthy humans, they surely he could heal them when they start to show symptoms of not being mentally healthy. But now, the Biblical God can't even do that unless it's Jesus casting out evil demons. But that flies in the face of the whole story. Why didn't Jesus cast the evil demons out of the Pharisees and restore divinity to Church? Clearly the story is nonsense.

So the resolution is simple. The Biblical fables are clearly nothing more than man-made fables. No God could be this inept.

And we certainly shouldn't need a savior to save us from a God who is out to condemn us because he is an inept creator who can't create or heal humans.

The resolution to all these problems is simple. The Bible is man-made folklore and this is why it makes no sense. That's the answer.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

To reply to your #1.......I agree, that God wouldn't destroy anyone who doesn't deserve it. And then I have to say that I am a believer and I do not believe in literal hell-fire. The Bible does teach that God is merciful and loving and does to people only what they deserve, and many times He is merciful to those who do not deserve mercy. (Like Cain.) The Bible also teaches complete destruction of the irreconcilable, rather than eternal torture. It does not teach a literal fiery hell where people are roasted like pigs on a spit. All mention of fire and torment is metaphorical for absolute obliteration, and the "torment" of not being able to do anything at all.

So God's truth about hell is that a hell of fire and suffering does not exist. "Hell" in the Bible is mankind's GRAVE, and nothing more.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

To reply to your #1.......I agree, that God wouldn't destroy anyone who doesn't deserve it. And then I have to say that I am a believer and I do not believe in literal hell-fire. The Bible does teach that God is merciful and loving and does to people only what they deserve, and many times He is merciful to those who do not deserve mercy. (Like Cain.) The Bible also teaches complete destruction of the irreconcilable, rather than eternal torture. It does not teach a literal fiery hell where people are roasted like pigs on a spit. All mention of fire and torment is metaphorical for absolute obliteration, and the "torment" of not being able to do anything at all.

So God's truth about hell is that a hell of fire and suffering does not exist. "Hell" in the Bible is mankind's GRAVE, and nothing more.

How do you deal with the problem that God created defective humans in the first place? How do humans become evil unless they were designed defective to begin with? To have a defective human requires a defective creator.

And that's only part of it.

Let's assume that we're willing to accept that God is an inept creator and is incapable of creating truly healthy humans. But then we need to go further and say that this same God is then also incapable of healing the defective humans. So then the God not only becomes an inept creator, but he must also be an inept healer.

The whole idea of a human who deserves to be punished (in any way) makes no sense. But it's even a greater problem that this God can't even cure them.

Jesus was supposed to be able to cast demons out of people. But apparently he couldn't cast demons out of God's priests. This would imply that God has extremely limitations in what he can do.

How do you deal with this problem of a God who creates defective humans that he can't even heal?
[center]Image
[/center]

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote: Ah yes Pinseeker, what you say here raises questions rather than gives answers, in my opinion.
Well of course it does. :)
Checkpoint wrote: 1) Do we really grasp what "God's truth about hell" actually is?
The Bible clearly tells us what we need to know. Do we fully grasp it? Probably not; at least not in the way God does.
Checkpoint wrote: 2) In what way is it "important, even vital, to our understanding of the Gospel"?
That's why I provided the link in that post... https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/hell/
Checkpoint wrote: 3) Why is there such strong, even visceral, reaction to "God's truth about hell", so often expressed by both believers and unbelievers?
I think I answered that question. Coming face to face with the truth of a Holy God is a fearsome thing.
Checkpoint wrote: 4) Who, or what, is being questioned here? God, or the Bible, or an interpretation?
Yes. :)

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

PinSeeker wrote: Coming face to face with the truth of a Holy God is a fearsome thing.
Why on earth should that be a fearsome thing?

I can't imagine a more wonderful thing than to come face to face with a truly intelligent loving and benevolent God. What would there be to fear? :-k

This idea that God should be feared coming from theists simply makes no sense. It sounds like they don't trust this God to be truly intelligent, loving or benevolent.

I can certainly understand why they would fear coming face to face with the God described in the Bible, But that's only because the God described in the Bible is anything but intelligent, loving or benevolent.

So why would you fear an intelligent loving and benevolent God?

I'm curious to know.
[center]Image
[/center]

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Divine Insight wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

How do you deal with the problem that God created defective humans in the first place? How do humans become evil unless they were designed defective to begin with? To have a defective human requires a defective creator.

And that's only part of it.

Let's assume that we're willing to accept that God is an inept creator and is incapable of creating truly healthy humans. But then we need to go further and say that this same God is then also incapable of healing the defective humans. So then the God not only becomes an inept creator, but he must also be an inept healer.

The whole idea of a human who deserves to be punished (in any way) makes no sense. But it's even a greater problem that this God can't even cure them.

Jesus was supposed to be able to cast demons out of people. But apparently he couldn't cast demons out of God's priests. This would imply that God has extremely limitations in what he can do.

How do you deal with this problem of a God who creates defective humans that he can't even heal?
It's difficult to deal with people who just want to find fault. Jesus admonished us not to go 'round and 'round with these folks. (Matt.7:6)

It has been said many times on these threads that God did not create defective people. The defectiveness came from our imperfect genes being passed on from generation to generation AFTER the genes became defective AFTER the Fall. There are imperfect things going on because Adam chose to rebel and thus brought imperfection and suffering to all of his progeny. He was PERFECT until then.

So you think that a perfectly built Maserati that is bought by an idiot that goes out and crashes it into a pole is now defective because the manufacturer made it defective?? I don't see any reason to discuss this further with you.

:blink: #-o :crazy:

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to post 1 by Checkpoint]

As with many things, some do and some (perhaps even most) do not.

I apologize, but I just do not have the patience to watch the multiple videos in that link and listen to someone talk about something they do not understand, just to find the place where that person explains how he believes this is 'important, even vital, to our understanding of the gospel'.

Hell as a place of eternal torture does not exist. That is a man-made doctrine. You will not find it at all in the OT, and the doctrine from the NT is based upon scribal errors and errors in understanding.

So if someone wants to sum up the answer to this question from the link, I might be able to respond to that.

In the meantime, the common doctrine of hell (a place of eternal torture) is a lie about God and that lie contributes to turning people away from Him. So it would seem the truth about this is important in helping people understanding the gospel (and the nature of God)... just in a different way than what the author may be implying.

Because it (the doctrine of eternal torture) conflicts with the truth that God is love; it conflicts with the image Christ gave to us of His Father; it is illogical and unnecessary; it is terrifying (and did I mention unnecessary?).

An interpretation.

viewtopic.php?p=970644#p970644

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Last edited by tam on Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

onewithhim wrote: So you think that a perfectly built Maserati that is bought by an idiot that goes out and crashes it into a pole is now defective because the manufacturer made it defective?? I don't see any reason to discuss this further with you.
Of course you don't want to discuss it further. You just shot yourself in your own foot.

You said:
onewithhim wrote: There are imperfect things going on because Adam chose to rebel and thus brought imperfection and suffering to all of his progeny. He was PERFECT until then.
If Adam was perfect then why did he chose to rebel?

Besides, that's not how the story goes anyway. Adam never chose to rebel against God. The story claims that Eve was beguiled by an already evil serpent and necessarily innocently believed him.

After all, why should Eve suspect that the serpent was lying before she had eaten the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. She couldn't have even known that lying was possibly prior to that. Otherwise she would have already had knowledge of good and evil.

Adam and Eve never proclaimed a rebellion against God in the story. To the contrary Eve cooperated with God fully confessing to everything that happened and even explaining to God that she has been beguiled by an evil serpent.

But there's even more problems. Why was an evil serpent required to beguile humans? Would humans have never chosen to go against God's instructions on their own?

The story shoots itself in its own foot. It was written by humans who told a story that doesn't even make any sense.

If Adam was "perfect" as you claim, then why would he chose to rebel against God which would require that he was not perfect.

You see, you're apologies don't help. If Adam was broken only his manufacture can be held responsible for that.

Not only this, but this ignores the question of how it was that Satan became mentally ill in the first place?

This God was up to no good long before he created humans. At least if we buy into these ancient fables.

A far better explanation is that the fables are simply inventions of men. And this is why they are riddled with absurdities and contradictions.

There's no way that a creator God could have been this lame. This creator God would have already had to have failed to be able to cure Satan. So apparently this God was already lame before he even created Adam and Eve. He already had angels that he didn't design properly and couldn't cure.

It's a story about an extremely inept creator. There's no getting around it.

The story is either a totally made up fable by humans. Or we were created by an inept creator. That's the only two choices available.
[center]Image
[/center]

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

Divine Insight wrote:
onewithhim wrote: So you think that a perfectly built Maserati that is bought by an idiot that goes out and crashes it into a pole is now defective because the manufacturer made it defective?? I don't see any reason to discuss this further with you.
Of course you don't want to discuss it further. You just shot yourself in your own foot.

You said:
onewithhim wrote: There are imperfect things going on because Adam chose to rebel and thus brought imperfection and suffering to all of his progeny. He was PERFECT until then.
If Adam was perfect then why did he chose to rebel?
Because he was given the privilege of FREE WILL. God did not and still does not want to be worshipped by ROBOTS.

And I fail to see how I "shot myself in the foot."