What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Acts 9 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Conversion of Saul
9 But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. 4 And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?� 5 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?� And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.� 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

SallyF
Guru

Re: What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus?

Post #2

Post by SallyF »

Wootah wrote:
Acts 9 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Conversion of Saul
9 But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. 4 And falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?� 5 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?� And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.� 7 The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. 8 Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

Firstly …

This is Christian-Jewish propaganda.

It may be fiction with a purpose.

Secondly …

The "light" may be the "light" of Genesis One that appeared before the stars were created by the mythological Canaanite Elohim.

And "light" - in both magic tales - may be symbolic …

Just like many other biblical fantasies we don't like the literal look of these days.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you!

Secondly …

The "light" may be the "light" of Genesis One that appeared before the stars were created

Yes!

Christ is the Light WHO came into being before the stars were created. We can see this because a) Christ is the Light and b) Christ is the One through whom all (other) things were created.

John 8:12

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.�

1 Corinthians 8:6

yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, [Jesus] Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Hebrews 1:2

But in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe.

And Christ (who is the Light) is the One who appeared to Paul and spoke to Him on the road to Damascus.

And "light" - in both magic tales - may be symbolic …
I can see where you might think so... but Christ IS the Light, and light also accompanies Him in His appearance. The following is from John (from Revelation) who was in the spirit, and who turned and saw the Christ and later wrote what he saw:

And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man,[d] dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. 14 The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. 15 His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. (Rev 1:12-16)

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share that!

Peace again to you and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ (the Light),
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 3 by tam]

Well said Tam. Prior to Saul's Damascus moment, Saul was a Shema believing Jew stopping a heretical cult. So when Saul said, 'Who are you Lord?' Who did Saul think he was speaking with?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Peace again to you!

[Replying to post 4 by Wootah]

Paul did not know who he was speaking with, that is why he asked.

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: Peace again to you!

Would Saul, remember he is still Saul atm, call anything not God - Lord?

Just pushing further, would Saul after becoming Paul promote Christ so strongly if he believed in the Shema?

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote:
tam wrote: Peace again to you!

Would Saul, remember he is still Saul atm, call anything not God - Lord?
You'd have to ask Paul (who was Saul) that question.

That being said, the disciples (and apostles) called Christ "Lord" (John 6:68; 11:3, 12, 21, 27, 32, 34; 13:6, 9, 13, 25, and so on) without believing that He was God (YHWH, the Most Holy One of Israel).

So I would say yes to Saul being able to call another being "Lord" without believing that being is God (YHWH). Keep in mind that LORD (from the OT) is not actually "Lord". It is just a placeholder for the letters YHWH (from the actual name of God). Lord certainly does not always refer to God (YHWH). Did not Sarah call Abraham her lord? 1Peter 3:6

Just pushing further, would Saul after becoming Paul promote Christ so strongly if he believed in the Shema?

Yes of course; same as the apostles and other disciples/Christians/witnesses did. Christ - the MESSIAH - is the Chosen One of JAH, the One to whom God (YHWH) said to listen, and the Son of God.

Christ being the Son of God does not at all contradict the Shema.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Three accounts: Acts 9:3-8, Acts 22:6-11 and Acts 26:13-19

Jesus appeared in flesh - many witnesses Acts 1:3 He will come again and all eyes will see him in the clouds again, Revelation 1:7
two witness testimony - It is law John 8:17 Does not exist
Three statements disagree are not the same
Heard a voice that said it was Jesus. His real name is Yeshua doubt he would have said that told the churches in Revelation he was Alpha and Omega Revelation 1:11 great voice as of a trumpet. He spoke to John so into eternity still 12 Apostles.

Blinding light is from Satan, the imitator fell as lightening Luke 10:18 new mission to still persecute the church with a liar that is glorified by all the kingdoms as Satan said he would do. Matthew 4:8

Thorn of the Flesh But [the sons] of Belial [shall be] all of them as thorns thrust away, because they cannot be taken with hands: 2 Samuel 2:26 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Matthew 7:16

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

There is no way Saul is going to violate the Shema but you think he could.

Does it at least give you pause? Did it challenge your beliefs for a moment?

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: There is no way Saul is going to violate the Shema but you think he could.

Does it at least give you pause? Did it challenge your beliefs for a moment?

Are you addressing this to me? If so, you might need to review my previous post. I am off to work, though, so anything further from me will have to wait until later tonight or tomorrow.

Peace again to you!