Da Vinci Code

Post #1

Post by jjg »

How did film affect you?

CubicU
Student

Post #2

Post by CubicU »

haha...how did the movie affect me? I almost fell asleep. the book is MUCH better and more detailed and more suspenseful. As to the theories and uhhh...what's the word...assumptions (?) made by the author, all I got to say is , "The Da Vinci Code: A NOVEL" Does the fact that Jesus was married and possibly had sex with Mary Magdalene afffect my views of him as Lord and Saviour? No, he's still Jesus Christ, Saviour of the World. Does the fact that it states that the Catholic church and other Christians churches were deceived by men who wanted to claim authority over Mary? Not really.

really a good book, but did little to affect my beliefs.

PaulJJ

Post #3

Post by PaulJJ »

CubicU wrote:haha...how did the movie affect me? I almost fell asleep. the book is MUCH better and more detailed and more suspenseful. As to the theories and uhhh...what's the word...assumptions (?) made by the author, all I got to say is , "The Da Vinci Code: A NOVEL" Does the fact that Jesus was married and possibly had sex with Mary Magdalene afffect my views of him as Lord and Saviour? No, he's still Jesus Christ, Saviour of the World. Does the fact that it states that the Catholic church and other Christians churches were deceived by men who wanted to claim authority over Mary? Not really.

I've been told the opposite by people who have both read the book and seen the film - they said the film was better. I've only read the book, and I wasn't impressed with it, either as a work of fiction or with its dubiously stitched-together scenario. I suppose the only thing to be said for it is that its scenario is no sillier than those in the Bible.

CubicU
Student

Post #4

Post by CubicU »

PaulJJ wrote:
CubicU wrote:haha...how did the movie affect me? I almost fell asleep. the book is MUCH better and more detailed and more suspenseful. As to the theories and uhhh...what's the word...assumptions (?) made by the author, all I got to say is , "The Da Vinci Code: A NOVEL" Does the fact that Jesus was married and possibly had sex with Mary Magdalene afffect my views of him as Lord and Saviour? No, he's still Jesus Christ, Saviour of the World. Does the fact that it states that the Catholic church and other Christians churches were deceived by men who wanted to claim authority over Mary? Not really.

I've been told the opposite by people who have both read the book and seen the film - they said the film was better. I've only read the book, and I wasn't impressed with it, either as a work of fiction or with its dubiously stitched-together scenario. I suppose the only thing to be said for it is that its scenario is no sillier than those in the Bible.
I guess it depends what you did first. My friend like the movie and not the book and he did it in that order. As for me, all I know is that I LOVE reading.
I felt the movie was really rushed and had less of the suspense like the second cryptex and a lot of the fashbacks.

Bino Julian Pedro Web

Post #5

Post by Bino Julian Pedro Web »

It's all fiction, not blasphemy!!!

Read on the poster, "Ficton Movie"

finsterlaw

Post #6

Post by finsterlaw »

i left the movie but the book was great.

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #7

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

Makes the same amount of sense as the Bible.. and a good movie

Assent
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Assent »

I actually disliked the book. I thought that the way it was written made it appear to be made specifically to be turned into a movie, and that the writer, Dan Brown, had therefore seen far too many movies and done far too little reading. The premise about the main character being a symbologist makes sense, to the extent that he reads far too much into things. I can actually understand the idea that the Mona Lisa was secretly a portrait of Da Vinci as a woman, or that he would put seditious messages into his paintings, but the extent to which the implications go just gets silly eventually.

Oh, and I also love the part where the secret society that formed the base of the argument in the book was discredited as a hoax just a few months after the book's release.
My arguments are only as true as you will them to be.
Because of the limits of language, we are all wrong.
This signature is as much for my benefit as for yours.

Catharsis

Post #9

Post by Catharsis »

What do Dan Brown and Chris Carter Have in Common?

The recent cultural phenomenon surrounding Dan Brown’s fictional novel The Da Vinci Code has much in common with the 90’s appeal of Chris Carter’s TV series, The X-Files. Both seem to be taking advantage of an attitude of suspicion that characterizes much of the postmodern generation. While Brown’s cast of Langdon and Sophia stealthily rush from one clue to another through Parisian back alleys, FBI Agents, Mulder and Scully, rummage through one X-File conspiracy theory after another in search of a truth that Carter insists is “out there.” Yet, while both Brown and Carter warn their viewers to “trust no one” they nonetheless enthrone themselves as the source of their respective truth. The real truth, however, is that the X-Files is science fiction, and The Da Vinci Code is ecclesiastical fiction!

Postmoderns are suspicious individuals. They quickly reject authority as powerful suppressors and manipulators of history while uncritically becoming disciples of any and all conspiracy theories. Ciphers and mythologies have replaced definitions and creeds . . . superstition and cultural paranoia conflict with logic and enduring faith.

The articles on this web page have been assembled to provide real seekers of “Truth” with an opportunity for honest dialogue. Since Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code is based on so many inaccuracies - our goal is to help set an appropriate basis for a healthy discussion concerning the cultural merits of Christianity by first setting the historical, scriptural and theological record straight!

Father Frank Marangos
Executive Director of Communications
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

An Orthodox Response to The Da Vinci Code
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/popculture/davinci/

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Have not read the book. Did watch the movie for first time on DVD the other night. Completely under whelmed by it. Not a good movie for Tom Hanks, and the worst movie directed by Ron Howard I've watched. On average I read about one novel a year - usually when on holiday - I'll not be getting the book in any rush.