Which gospel writer attended the trial of Jesus?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Which gospel writer attended the trial of Jesus?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

There is only one Gospel which reports the trial of Jesus. That is the Gospel of John written about 95 A.D. Which of Jesus' disciples was present at the trial of Jesus?

Tcg
Savant

Post #51

Post by Tcg »

Checkpoint wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Yahwehismywitness wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Yahwehismywitness wrote:
The Gospel of John is anonymous. At the end of the Gospel the author is identified as, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." Some have argued that this refers to Lazarus and not John.

John was accepted as writer until 19th century
You've provided no evidence to support this claim. It matters little, however, given that this assertion, even if true, in no way changes the fact I have presented.

Tcg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_Apostle
Here is a direct quote from the article you referenced:
  • "The Gospel of John was written by an anonymous author."
This supports the fact I have presented. Of course one doesn't need to rely on Wikipedia to learn this fact. A quick read of the gospel will reveal it.

Tcg
What "fact" have you presented as to authorship?
The fact (no need for quotation marks) I have presented is that the Gospel of John is anonymous.
A quick read will reveal that John is not the author?
A quick read will reveal that the book is anonymous. Given that fact, we don't know for sure who the author was.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #52

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

A quick read will reveal that the book is anonymous. Given that fact, we don't know for sure who the author was.
What about John 1:6 There was a man sent by Yahweh whose name was John. AND John 1:15 John bare witness of him

John was not a boastful person he is referred to as servant John. Revelation 1:1 In other words it is about person that sent him not himself

Tcg
Savant

Post #53

Post by Tcg »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
What about John 1:6 There was a man sent by Yahweh whose name was John. AND John 1:15 John bare witness of him

John was not a boastful person he is referred to as servant John. Revelation 1:1 In other words it is about person that sent him not himself
That is a reference to John the Baptist as can be clearly seen just a few verses later:
  • 25 They asked him, “Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?â€� 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, 27 even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.â€� 28 These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
John the Baptist and John the disciple of Christ are two different people.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #54

I know they are two different people but just think a moment Apostle John could be writing about John the Baptist:

John the Baptist is mentioned in all four canonical Gospels and the non-canonical Gospel of the Nazarenes. The Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) describe John baptizing Jesus; in the Gospel of John this is implied in John 1:32–1:34.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorshi ... nine_works

The first certain witness to Johannine theology among the Fathers of the Church is in Ignatius of Antioch, whose Letter to the Philippians is founded on John 3:8 and alludes to John 10:7-9 and 14:6. This would indicate that the Gospel was known in Antioch before Ignatius' death (probably 107). Polycarp of Smyrna (c. 80 to 167) quotes from the letters of John, as does Justin Martyr (c. 100 to 165).[12][13]
Last edited by Yahwehismywitness on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #55

Post by Tcg »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
I know they are two different people but just think a moment Apostle John could be writing about John the Baptist:

John the Baptist is mentioned in all four canonical Gospels and the non-canonical Gospel of the Nazarenes. The Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) describe John baptizing Jesus; in the Gospel of John this is implied in John 1:32–1:34.
None of this addresses nor changes the fact that the Gospel of John is anonymous. We don't know who wrote it.

What is even more important to note, no matter who wrote it, there is no evidence that they were at the trial of Jesus. The claim that they showed up at the end of the crucifixion is not evidence they were at the trial.

It matters little who wrote given that there is no reason to conclude they were at the trial.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #56

Since Polycarp was Apostle John's disciple and used the book I will because he is witness of Apostle John

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Which gospel writer attended the trial of Jesus?

Post #57

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

A gospel writer didn't have to attend, it could have been miraculously revealed by Almighty God to the writers under inspiration of the holy spirit.

" ...men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.�​—2 Peter 1:21.

JW

RESPONSE: There are some obvious problems. My friend Ralph says that he receives miraculous revelations from God all the time! We're quite worried about him, but since anyone can make such a claim, we tend not to believe him.

Also, if you look it up you'll find that Peter didn't write 2 Peter.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #58

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

A gospel writer didn't have to attend, it could have been miraculously revealed by Almighty God to the writers under inspiration of the holy spirit.

" ...men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.�​—2 Peter 1:21.

JW

RESPONSE: There are some obvious problems. My friend Ralph says that he receives miraculous revelations from God all the time! We're quite worried about him, but since anyone can make such a claim, we tend not to believe him.

Also, if you look it up you'll find that Peter didn't write 2 Peter.
In the final analysis, it matters little the identity of the one writing.

What matters is the source and quality of what is written, and of what is written about.

For us believers, if it's of God and from God, then it is to be taken seriously.

For those who appear to be doubters and naysayers, what matters is to look up modern writings of people who also doubt and deny things of God and from God, in their writings.

From such a poor quality source it is easy to find what satisfies them in that kind of writing.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #59

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius wrote:RESPONSE: There are some obvious problems. My friend Ralph says that he receives miraculous revelations from God all the time! We're quite worried about him, but since anyone can make such a claim, we tend not to believe him.

That would be rather a closed minded response, have any of his predictions come true? Are the revelations in line with privious confirmed revelation? Do they reflect probable reality? What is his character? Does he display any symptoms of mental instability? Has he been able to demonsrtate miraculous powers? In short, have you thoroughly investigated his claims? ... to dismiss a matter before having examined all relevant facts smacks of confirmation bias?

PROVERBS 18:13

Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish.- New Living Translation

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Post #60

Post by polonius »

[Replying to polonius]

RESPONSE: What evidence (of John) establishes that John was at the trial of Jesus?

What evidence is there that the Gospel we call John's was written by the Apostle John?