Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

arunangelo
Apprentice

What is Faith?

Post #1

Post by arunangelo »

What is faith (In God)?
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross. It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force; it is always expressed through actions. Therefore, when we have faith in God, we will forgo our own interest, in order to serve those who have hurt and betrayed us. If we claim to have faith, but do not put it into action. our faith is not alive (James 2:17). On the other hand, if we put our faith into action, it will set our heart on fire; and make our faith grow. It will then propel us to go out of our way and spend every moment of our life to serve God by serving others, including our enemies. In this effort we will count no cost, expect no reward and accept any discomfort or peril that comes our way. Then, even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, it will grow mighty enough to move mountains (Luke 17:6).
To have faith in God, is also to know, that His love is the only solution to the problems in our life. We will, therefore, not resort to lawsuits or violence to solve our problem. Instead, we will use pure love to solve our problems. We will, therefore, help those who hurt us, give them more than what they are ask for, pray for them and not retaliate against them.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: What is Faith?

Post #41

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 40 by Diagoras]

Are we done talking about faith now?

Diagoras
Guru

Post #42

Post by Diagoras »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 40 by Diagoras]

Unsurprising to see a tone of ‘rebuking and correcting’ creeping in to your last few posts, given the verse from which you derive your user name.

Are we done? I’m not sure. Clusivity is not easily conveyed in the English language, so you’ll have to be more explicit.

When considering what you might wish to debate, on the one hand, there’s this:
I will not address your posts unless you read and post on that thread concerning Revelation being literal or figurative.
Well, I’ve read the thread, so presumably you can lift your self-imposed ban on responding to my posts now. As evidence, I’ll quote from some of it:
Post 5: Does no one understand what these events 'that must shortly take place' are?

Post 22: Revelation is filled with obscure images that lend themselves to whatever interpretation the reader wants to give.

Post 89: one can choose literal or metaphoric according to one's particular bias.

Post 92: A vision is not speaking plainly but conveys its truths in non-literal ways, including numbers; as in the 12 gates, for example.

Post 94: However, when we deal with something where people are in dispute about figurative and literal, it is hard to see how we come to an objective view.

Post 112: You take what is describing Israelites as literal, including their numbers, whereas I take verses 4-8 as metaphorical, including their numbers.

Post 116: Well, we don't consider the Bible the stuff of witch doctors. God knows just who each member of the 144,000 is.
The thread’s quite old, so I choose to respond here instead. Post 94 (as above) pretty much sums up my own thoughts on the matter. Are we literally done on this side-topic now, do you think?

However, on the other hand, you’ve posted things like:
"Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another." -Colossians 3:13-21

So that certainly suggests a willingness to engage in good faith (on preview: no pun intended), even if subsequent posts don’t display the same intent. Maybe you can forgive my facetiousness (“fireballs�) in the face of dogmatic rebuttal (“No.�) and move to concentrate on ‘faith’, since you asked:
Do have (sic) something to add to the debate about faith?
And had previously posted:
Real faith is an informed choice with evidence to back up our faith.
Is that ‘real’ in the same sense as a ‘true’ Scotsman, perchance? Seems like you’ve decided upon a definition that suits you, but I can’t find many biblical passages that so clearly support the idea of an ‘informed choice’, nor of ‘evidence’. Here’s a fairly comprehensive exegesis of ‘faith’.

I see words and phrases like “obedient�, “put aside self-reliance�, “unqualified surrender� and “dependence�. I note that Proverbs 3:5 says:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
To address the OP, it (faith) is not about ‘love’, it’s about unthinking obedience. Do as you’re told, don’t question The Word. The fact that scripture promises ‘Joy’ and a connection to God to those who obey, and cautions that
Accepting the conditions which we see as fact, instead of what the Word says will hinder faith.
simply reinforces the message: If you start questioning God’s Ways, you’ll be ‘out of the tent’.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by 2timothy316 »

Diagoras wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 40 by Diagoras]

Unsurprising to see a tone of ‘rebuking and correcting’ creeping in to your last few posts, given the verse from which you derive your user name.

Are we done? I’m not sure. Clusivity is not easily conveyed in the English language, so you’ll have to be more explicit.

When considering what you might wish to debate, on the one hand, there’s this:
I will not address your posts unless you read and post on that thread concerning Revelation being literal or figurative.
Well, I’ve read the thread, so presumably you can lift your self-imposed ban on responding to my posts now. As evidence, I’ll quote from some of it:
Should have responded on the thread. Age of the thread doesn't matter. I will not answer this part of the post here in an effort to keep this thread on Faith on track.
However, on the other hand, you’ve posted things like:
"Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another." -Colossians 3:13-21

So that certainly suggests a willingness to engage in good faith (on preview: no pun intended), even if subsequent posts don’t display the same intent. Maybe you can forgive my facetiousness (“fireballs�) in the face of dogmatic rebuttal (“No.�) and move to concentrate on ‘faith’, since you asked:
Do have (sic) something to add to the debate about faith?
And had previously posted:
Real faith is an informed choice with evidence to back up our faith.
Is that ‘real’ in the same sense as a ‘true’ Scotsman, perchance? Seems like you’ve decided upon a definition that suits you, but I can’t find many biblical passages that so clearly support the idea of an ‘informed choice’, nor of ‘evidence’. Here’s a fairly comprehensive exegesis of ‘faith’.
I choose the Bible's definition of faith found at Hebrews 11:1. After all I have accepted the Bible as speaking for God, since I believe that to be so, I want to have God's definition of faith. So the definition of faith is not my own, but it is my choice to follow the Bible. So I didn't choose a definition of that fits me, I went with the one that fits Jehovah God. Therefore I accept what it says about faith. If it said something different then I'd accept that. If you don't want to use the Bible's definition of faith, go right ahead, but my posts will not make sense to you if you use any other definition.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #44

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 43 by 2timothy316]

Ok, if you’re basically saying in a thread called ‘What is Faith?’ that you’re sticking with one definition of the word, and that your
�posts will not make sense to you if you use any other definition.�
...then there’s not much point in continuing a discussion, is there? Even if I re-quote Proverbs 3:5, or any other of the many scriptural verses that mentions ‘faith’, you’ve already laid out your objections. I “won’t understand�.

I think I’ll pass - this thread’s scope has apparently been defined into near non-existence.

r1xlx
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by r1xlx »

[Replying to post 3 by brunumb]

Faith is simple belief in what The Bible says.
Just like all who don't believe the Bible have faith in their own beliefs whether the belief is believing themselves evolved from monkeys or being dropped off on Earth by a UFO.

A True Christian doesn't worry about all the silly doubts put forward by non-Christians but just simply explains the Bible's Big Picture: GOD and Creation, Fall, Flood, Jesus, End Times, Rapture, Armageddon.

1 Corinthians 2:14 sums up a non-Christian: 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #46

Post by 2timothy316 »

Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 43 by 2timothy316]

Ok, if you’re basically saying in a thread called ‘What is Faith?’ that you’re sticking with one definition of the word, and that your
...then there’s not much point in continuing a discussion, is there? Even if I re-quote Proverbs 3:5, or any other of the many scriptural verses that mentions ‘faith’, you’ve already laid out your objections. I “won’t understand�.

I think I’ll pass - this thread’s scope has apparently been defined into near non-existence.
In this forum the Bible has the final say on what something is. The theme is Theology, Doctrine and Dogma. Here the Bible is used an authoritative reference. This forum is not like the CA forum where there are almost no rules. If you don't except the Bible's definition of faith then head over to the CA forum and debate what is faith using as many definitions as you'd like. I'm sticking with the Bible's definition as in this forum it has the final authority. The individual poster doesn't have the final authority here. if you do not accept the Bible as having the final authority then you're in the wrong place.

The Bibles description of faith is, "Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen." (Rom 11:1) This definition has the final say in this forum. It's not my definition but I do accept it as having the final say to the answer, what is faith. Take it or leave it.

Rom 11:1 can be applied to Proverbs 3:5. It says to "trust in Jehovah". What is trust? Trust is based on evidence that you can trust that person. Many have faith that their parents would help them if they ever needed it. That faith is not based on nothing. It's based on the fact that their parents raised them and helped them numerous times. People that are persuaded to trust a person for no reason is not faith, it's being gullible. There is nothing wrong with asking why should I trust God. It is only when we are told why and presented evidence why we should trust Him but we reject it and instead rely on our own understanding that we are in the wrong.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #47

Post by Diagoras »

2timothy316 wrote:This definition has the final say in this forum.
Well, in that case, you obviously have the final word. Nothing to add.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by Checkpoint »

Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 43 by 2timothy316]

For some, yes.

In this particular sub-forum, yes.

Not in most other sub-forums, which allow and encorage whatever.