The Most Evil God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

The Most Evil God

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Is the biblical Jehovah the most EVIL god ever imagined …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

TheGreatDebate
Student

Post #111

Post by TheGreatDebate »

[Replying to post 106 by Zzyzx]

Everything is a matter of faith. It is all about what we put our faith in. I have found, in my opinion, the Bible to give the most accurate depiction of humanity. That is why I believe it.

TheGreatDebate
Student

Re: The Most Evil God

Post #112

Post by TheGreatDebate »

[Replying to post 108 by SallyF]

You won’t find a God that is more evil by modern standards than Jehovah. He puts allah to shame in that regard.

I am sorry if you consider all of His descriptions as evil. They may be evil to you, but if He is the Creator, than I would worry more about aligning my sensibilities to His sensibilities. Perhaps we should change our opinions.

TheGreatDebate
Student

Post #113

Post by TheGreatDebate »

[Replying to post 107 by Athetotheist]

After reading quite a few things, I personally find the Bible as the most accurate explanation of humanity. Aside from arguing about that, we aren’t going to find any common ground. All I can really say is we all will have faith in something no matter what we believe. There is no “non-belief.�

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #114

Post by Zzyzx »

TheGreatDebate wrote: Everything is a matter of faith.
Life involves decisions. Some decide to 'have faith in' one or more of the thousands of proposed invisible, undetectable, supernatural entities. They often seem to think that because they have 'faith' everyone must. That is known as projection (among other things).

Evidently having 'faith' in the trash man to pick up on schedule is comparable to having 'faith' that gods answer prayers. However, trash pickup seems more reliable (and can be checked for accuracy).
TheGreatDebate wrote: It is all about what we put our faith in. I have found, in my opinion, the Bible to give the most accurate depiction of humanity. That is why I believe it.
Is the tale of Samson an accurate depiction of humanity?

Is Luke 14:26 an accurate depiction of humanity: "“If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple".
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: The Most Evil God

Post #115

Post by Purple Knight »

TheGreatDebate wrote:I am sorry if you consider all of His descriptions as evil. They may be evil to you, but if He is the Creator, than I would worry more about aligning my sensibilities to His sensibilities. Perhaps we should change our opinions.
I would like to do so, actually.

But to what end?

It is God, and as much as I would like to be, I am not.

Whatever it says is good, is good. Whatever it says is evil, is evil.

If it says I am evil, I can't change that no matter what I align my sensibilities to.

But, you will say, no no no, God is fair.

...Except that, no it's really not. Its will, and nothing else, dictates what is evil and what is good. It has made genocide good (the Amalekites) and sympathy evil (Sodom and Gomorrah).

Since I can't know the mind of God, I can't know what's good. I have no idea what it will decide about any particular act.

The absolute best I could do is listen to it at every opportunity. I could accept that it knows best and discard my own will and my own feelings.

But it has never spoken to me. So shall I listen to the writers of the Gospels because they spoke to Jesus who spoke to God? Shall I discard my will for what other men have said?

There's a bum on the street corner who talks to God and says the president is literally the Devil. Perhaps I should listen to him since God has never spoken to me.

The trouble is, I fully expect that gotcha moment when I die, no matter who I listen to. Oh, sorry, you listened to the wrong person, God will say, I actually spoke to Grubby Pete and not to the people who wrote the Bible; they were all liars.

Charles
Apprentice

Post #116

Post by Charles »

Red Wolf wrote: Bible God has killed many people and he promises to kill many more when Jesus returns. He is a killer...a murderer...
All those on death row think this of their Judge...

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #117

Post by Zzyzx »

Charles wrote:
Red Wolf wrote: Bible God has killed many people and he promises to kill many more when Jesus returns. He is a killer...a murderer...
Is that a statement of fact -- or is it from your imagination? If fact, cite source.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

SallyF
Guru

Post #118

Post by SallyF »

R�m Yogya, lives in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Answered October 9, 2016
In Hinduism there is no single entity that is considered as evil unlike many other religions. The concept of rebirth and law of Karma govern the life of a person. Hence the asuras in one life can be devout folks in next birth. Thus it is all transient. The concept one eternal enemy to doesn't exist in Hinduism. Ravana, Kamsa, Duryodhana, Hiranyakashipu, Hiranyaksha, etc were all evil during that incarnation. So, there is no single evil that is forever present. And God cannot be evil.

According to Hinduism, god is worshipped in different forms but he is one.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... -goddesses

Hindus neatly wiggle out of the evil god fantasies.

Christians have no such escape with the multi-genocidal Jehovah.

It looks to me that the biblical Jehovah is STILL the most evil god ever imagined.

Now if someone were to demonstrate that Jehovah was anything MORE than imaginary ….
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

brunumb
Savant

Post #119

Post by brunumb »

Charles wrote:
The God described in the Bible is not fit to judge me or any other human being. He should stick to bathing in the unwarranted worship of his sycophantic angels.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

marco
Savant

Post #120

Post by marco »

TheGreatDebate wrote:
There is no “non-belief.�
In the most trivial way we believe in something: I believe my watch is slow and she believes it will rain tomorrow.

When some people suggest that the monstrous Yahweh of the OP and of the bible pages is or was a real being there are those who have no belief in him. They may well believe in Garibaldi, but that does not affect their non-belief in Yahweh. Non belief is alive and well, thankfully.