Dating a non-Christian

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

997GT3
Student

Dating a non-Christian

Post #1

Post by 997GT3 »

I dated a non-Christian for a year, and although we had lots in common, we couldn't relate through Christian aspects. I found this frustrating, and after several months, I decided to break it up. How can some people go through marriage with such major differences in views of life?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

If you take your faith seriously, then I don't understand why you would even date a non-christian. If Christ and His word are the guiding principles of your life, then how could you think that you could have a meaningful relationship with someone who does not believe?

As far as I can see, mixed faith marriages can only happen if both partners were not terribly serious about their faith when they got married, or one or both partners converted afterwards. In the first case, there will probably be few problems if both continue to keep their faith in the back drawer. In the second case, there will be problems unless the other partner converts.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

997GT3
Student

Post #3

Post by 997GT3 »

McCulloch wrote:If you take your faith seriously, then I don't understand why you would even date a non-christian. If Christ and His word are the guiding principles of your life, then how could you think that you could have a meaningful relationship with someone who does not believe?
In short, I saw that those who converted to Christianity after being atheists were the most faithful Christians I've ever met. I just couldn't deal with it anymore I guess. There's also no point in arguing; each person comes at his or her own time.
As far as I can see, mixed faith marriages can only happen if both partners were not terribly serious about their faith when they got married, or one or both partners converted afterwards. In the first case, there will probably be few problems if both continue to keep their faith in the back drawer. In the second case, there will be problems unless the other partner converts.
Yeah. I don't regret it though. I learn best from experience.

Would anyone like to share a similar personal experience?

Lotan
Guru

Post #4

Post by Lotan »

997GT3 wrote:Would anyone like to share a similar personal experience?
Why not?

My wife (born again) and I have a great relationship, probably because we both agree that respecting the other's beliefs is more important than sharing them. I go to church; she watches the Discovery channel, and we're both happy. The kids are exposed to both points of view, as well as other beliefs (many of my kids friends are Muslim, and my older daughter is half Ojibway). In the process, we have both become a little more liberal, which is not to say that we don't take our beliefs seriously, only that we're aware of the fact that we don't know everything.
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by achilles12604 »

Lotan wrote:
997GT3 wrote:Would anyone like to share a similar personal experience?
Why not?

My wife (born again) and I have a great relationship, probably because we both agree that respecting the other's beliefs is more important than sharing them. I go to church; she watches the Discovery channel, and we're both happy. The kids are exposed to both points of view, as well as other beliefs (many of my kids friends are Muslim, and my older daughter is half Ojibway). In the process, we have both become a little more liberal, which is not to say that we don't take our beliefs seriously, only that we're aware of the fact that we don't know everything.
Now this is interesting. I never would have guess you would write this. Hmmm.... Perhaps I am not almighty, alknowing and the predictor of every outcome after all?

:joker:
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.