Are Catholics dropping five sacraments?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Are Catholics dropping five sacraments?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The Alpha movement is gradually being incorporated into Catholic teaching. But it sometimes disagrees significantly with older Catholic teachings.

Some sacraments have been dropped.

On the web we learn from an Alpha writing (Questions Of Life, p. 222].

ALPHA recognizes only one priesthood, "The priesthood of all believers" [ibid, p. 230].

"The priest is understood merely as an "elder", "a leader in the church" but one who "is not a sacrificing priest". Thus, it follows, that the 'Eucharist' is understood solely as 'the Lord's Supper' when "we remember his sacrifice with thanksgiving and partake of its benefits" but not as a holy sacrifice as in Catholic teaching. The explanation of this thinking is that "now Jesus, our great high priest (hiereus), has made the supreme sacrifice of his own life on our behalf. No further sacrifices are necessary and no further priests are necessary" [ibid, p. 229].

This, of course, is contrary to previous Catholic Church's teaching."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Are Catholics dropping five sacraments?

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius wrote: The Alpha movement is gradually being incorporated into Catholic teaching. But it sometimes disagrees significantly with older Catholic teachings.

ALPHA recognizes only one priesthood, "The priesthood of all believers" [ibid, p. 230].

"The priest is understood merely as an "elder", "a leader in the church" but one who "is not a sacrificing priest". Thus, it follows, that the 'Eucharist' is understood solely as 'the Lord's Supper' when "we remember his sacrifice with thanksgiving and partake of its benefits" but not as a holy sacrifice as in Catholic teaching. The explanation of this thinking is that "now Jesus, our great high priest (hiereus), has made the supreme sacrifice of his own life on our behalf. No further sacrifices are necessary and no further priests are necessary" [ibid, p. 229].

What is "the ALPHA movement in the Catholic Church?

What is the relationship, if any, between Alpha and Pope Francis?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

Please explain this Alpha movement further, polonius.

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: The Alpha movement is gradually being incorporated into Catholic teaching. But it sometimes disagrees significantly with older Catholic teachings.

Why would you post such a ridiculously dishonest claim??
This is a LIE of gargantuan proportions.

The Catholic Church is not "dropping" an sacraments - now or ever. Alpha is merely a program that introduces people to Christ in a personal way. It's NOT meant to make "changes" in doctrine. As for the Priesthood - the Catholic church teaches as the BIBLE does:

In the Old Testament, there were three levels of Priests:
The High Priest
The Levitical/Ministerial Priesthood
The rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests:
Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25)
The Ministerial Priests (James 5:14-15)
The general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).

Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more glorious than the Old Testament type.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

MarysSon wrote:
Why would you post such a ridiculously dishonest claim??
This is a LIE of gargantuan proportions.
:warning: Moderator Warning

These statements would be in violation of our rules. The rest of your post is fine. Please leave out the personal attacks and accusations in future posts.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 4 by MarysSon]

I gotta say, I agree with MarySon's position on this. From what I can see, (and so far you have not explained exactly what the "Alpha" movement is despite at least two requests to do so) the Alpha movement is ecumenical and incorporates Protestant notions as well. It does not speak for the RCC, and the RCC is not dropping any sacraments as far as I know. You have given the false impression that Alpha speaks for the RCC by using terms like "incorporates" into their teaching on the matter of the Sacraments.

And when you make the disclaimer, "this, of course, is contrary to previous Catholic teaching". That leave the impression that current Catholic teaching on the matter of the sacraments has changed, and now incorporates Alpha teaching into official doctrine.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

I have no idea if they are or if they are not, but it seems that MarysSon might be a Catholic and (s)he probably knows better about Catholic beliefs than I do. I think they hold the ceremony central to tneir beliefs so I doubt if they will abandon it.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

polonius
Prodigy

Haven't you heard of the Alpha Movement

Post #8

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote:
Please explain this Alpha movement further, polonius.
RESPONSE:

Sure. Where have you been? This is becoming the new Catholicism. Ask you pastor.

“I must make it clear that the program may not be used, in any form�
Cardinal Raymond Burke has condemned the Alpha Program now used in thousands of Catholic parishes in 70 countries as a tool for evangelization and catechesis.

RESPONSE:"ALPHA recognises only one priesthood, "The priesthood of all believers" [Questions of Life, p. 230]. The priest is understood merely as an "elder", "a leader in the church" but one who "is not a sacrificing priest". Thus, it follows, that the 'Eucharist' is understood solely as 'the Lord's Supper' when "we remember his sacrifice with thanksgiving and partake of its benefits" but not as a holy sacrifice as in Catholic teaching. The explanation of this thinking is that "now Jesus, our great high priest (hiereus), has made the supreme sacrifice of his own life on our behalf. No further sacrifices are necessary and no further priests are necessary" [ibid, p. 229]. [This, of course, is contrary in essence to the Church's teaching"]

"But the times they are a'changin "-Bob Dylan

MarysSon
Banned
Banned

Re: Haven't you heard of the Alpha Movement

Post #9

Post by MarysSon »

polonius wrote: RESPONSE:

Sure. Where have you been? This is becoming the new Catholicism. Ask you pastor.

“I must make it clear that the program may not be used, in any form�
Cardinal Raymond Burke has condemned the Alpha Program now used in thousands of Catholic parishes in 70 countries as a tool for evangelization and catechesis.

RESPONSE:"ALPHA recognises only one priesthood, "The priesthood of all believers" [Questions of Life, p. 230]. The priest is understood merely as an "elder", "a leader in the church" but one who "is not a sacrificing priest". Thus, it follows, that the 'Eucharist' is understood solely as 'the Lord's Supper' when "we remember his sacrifice with thanksgiving and partake of its benefits" but not as a holy sacrifice as in Catholic teaching. The explanation of this thinking is that "now Jesus, our great high priest (hiereus), has made the supreme sacrifice of his own life on our behalf. No further sacrifices are necessary and no further priests are necessary" [ibid, p. 229]. [This, of course, is contrary in essence to the Church's teaching"]

"But the times they are a'changin "-Bob Dylan
And as I already schooled you back in post #4 -
The Catholic Church is not "dropping" an sacraments - now or ever.

Alpha is merely a program that introduces people to Christ in a personal way. It's NOT meant to make "changes" in doctrine. The Catholic Church has NEVER change a single doctrine in 2000 years.

As for the Priesthood - the Catholic church teaches as the BIBLE does:

In the Old Testament, there were three levels of Priests:
The High Priest
The Levitical/Ministerial Priesthood
The rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests:
Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25)
The Ministerial Priests (James 5:14-15)
The general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).

Just as with all New Testament fulfillments, the fulfillment is always more glorious than the Old Testament type.

So, instead of bearing FALSE witness, which is abhorrent to God - try telling the truth for a change . . .

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

MarysSon wrote: And as I already schooled you back in post #4 -

So, instead of bearing FALSE witness, which is abhorrent to God - try telling the truth for a change . . .
:warning: Moderator Warning

The substance of your post here is fine, but the tone expressed in comments like this are completely unacceptable. Please make your points without an antagonistic or uncivil tone.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.