Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

1) Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing the sacred Name of God, YHVH?

2) Or is there any evidence that Jesus pronounced the Name? And taught others to?

3) Is the Rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing the Name Biblical?

4) Or is the Rabbinic prohibition another one of the "traditions of men" that Jesus railed against.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote: 1) Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing the sacred Name of God, YHVH?

2) Or is there any evidence that Jesus pronounced the Name? And taught others to?

4) Or is the Rabbinic prohibition another one of the "traditions of men" that Jesus railed against.
1) No, I believe that Jesus did not observe the superstitious rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing YHVH's name. There is much evidence to show that YHVH wanted people to use His name. At Exodus 3:15, in the original Hebrew, God's name, YHVH, appears in the text....not "Lord." So His name should be there, and He told Moses that His name would be used throughout all generations.

2) With that fact established, the question more pointedly should be asked---"Is there any evidence that Jesus DID NOT pronounce the Name?" There is more evidence to suggest that he DID, seeing as the religious leaders were going against what was written.

3) The rabbinic prohibition is NOT Biblical. (Exodus 3:15; Young's, The Living Bible, and the American Standard Version, to mention just three versions that put the Name where it should be).

4) Yes, the rabbinic prohibition is another one of the "traditions of men" that Jesus railed against.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Red Wolf »

If the Gospels accurately report the words spoken by Jesus, why is the divine name not in out text of the Gospels?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

Elijah John wrote: 1) Did Jesus observe the Rabbinic prohibition against pronouncing the sacred Name of God, YHVH?

1 I have no Idea
2 No evidence of it
3 No completely unTorah, so I would think he did
4 Yes, God said not call in vain, not , not to call

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

Jesus made it clear that he was interested in the practice of goodness rather than in some pointless rule. For him a name would have been a name and he obviously preferred "Father" rather than, say, Jehovah. Had he wanted people to pay attention to nomenclature he would have mentioned in his prayer the name Jehovah. He didn't. The modern obsession with this name or that was not Christ's.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

Yes.

We can’t say for certain, but it seem likely that he did.

Jesus usually referred to God as “Father,� thereby avoiding the controversy altogether.

There is no explicit biblical command not to speak the Tetragrammaton. We could call it a “tradition of men.�

Jesus did oppose some such “traditions of men,� and his disciple recorded his opposition in some cases. Even more significantly, speaking the Divine Name would have certainly brought Jesus into conflict with the Sadducees, Pharisees and Teachers of the Law. The Gospel writers regularly record Jesus’ conflict with these men.

The fact that Gospels do not record Jesus speaking the Name, opposing the tradition of speaking the Name, or (most importantly) the religious leaders opposing Jesus for speaking the Name all suggests that Jesus honored the tradition of not speaking the Tetragrammaton aloud.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Red Wolf wrote: If the Gospels accurately report the words spoken by Jesus, why is the divine name not in out text of the Gospels?
This was thoroughly discussed on another two threads, which you might not have perused. There are some excellent points brought out, if you would read the posts there.

1) "The Divine Name in the New Testament"

2) "The Divine Name in the New Testament with Proof."

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Matthew 6:9

Hallowed, meaning sacred. Revere and respect this powerful presence

Only one Father Matthew 23:9

For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.� Matthew 12:50

Its a family matter one to be exact

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

bjs wrote:
Yes.

We can’t say for certain, but it seem likely that he did.

Jesus usually referred to God as “Father,� thereby avoiding the controversy altogether.

There is no explicit biblical command not to speak the Tetragrammaton. We could call it a “tradition of men.�
You apparently did not read my post. That gets frustrating, since this is supposed to be a discussion. Indeed there WAS a command to speak the Tetragrammaton, at Exodus 3:15. Quite a few versions of the Bible retain God's Name in this verse, where it appears in the original Hebrew. Three of these are: Young's Literal Translation, The Living Bible, and the American Standard.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by bjs »

onewithhim wrote: You apparently did not read my post. That gets frustrating, since this is supposed to be a discussion. Indeed there WAS a command to speak the Tetragrammaton, at Exodus 3:15. Quite a few versions of the Bible retain God's Name in this verse, where it appears in the original Hebrew. Three of these are: Young's Literal Translation, The Living Bible, and the American Standard.
Saying that Exodus 3:15 was a command to speak the name aloud is problematic. God could be known by that Name without saying it aloud. Refusing to speak the Name, saying that the Name is too holy to be uttered by human lips, puts the focus on the Name and reminds people that this is who God is even without saying the Name aloud.

If modern translation keep the Tetragrammaton in their translation or not has nothing to do with Jesus speaking that Name or not.

I will also note that as you accused me of not reading your post, but then it seems you failed to read mine. You responded only to the opening of it, ignoring the evidence which suggest that Jesus obeyed the injunction not to speak that Name aloud.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo