COVID19

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

COVID19

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

It's been said throughout history (and even in modern times) that things that appear natural have been God's retribution over certain people and cultures.
Katrina was suggest, by one of God's BFFs (Hagee, Joyner, Leiter, Robertson), to be punishment on the city for its 'gayness'.

Being that COVID19 seems to be more dangerous to older people which tend more often than not to be Trump supporters (as well as the diabetic and those with hampered immune symptoms, but there is always collateral damage with God), is it possible that God sent this virus to eliminate these people who voted him in power and which, in turn, has caused such discourse in the world?
It wouldn't be with precedence (the flood, Moss's pharaoh, Egyptian plagues, etc)

tam
Savant

Re: COVID19

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to post 1 by Menotu]

is it possible that God sent this virus to eliminate these people who voted him in power and which, in turn, has caused such discourse in the world?

No.

A - I'm pretty sure elderly people voted against Trump as well.

B - Very few affected are from the US (atm); therefore very few voted for Trump. Kinda strange to target elderly in the US, by starting with 80000 people in China.

C - "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Keep in mind that God also raised up Pharaoh (from Moses' time); for a purpose. So being in authority does not mean that one is a friend or disciple or believer in God (or His Son).

D - Christ - who is the image of God (know Christ, know His Father also) - healed people of their infirmities. He did not give people infirmities.

E - sickness and disease are just part of this world; mankind even contributes to them (cancers from smoking, radiation, technology and the power required for some of those technologies, pollution, etc).

These are just a few reasons off the top of my head.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 1 by Menotu]

Sorry, just to add to my previous post, the OP said:
It wouldn't be with precedence (the flood, Moss's pharaoh, Egyptian plagues, etc)
I assume you meant withOUT.

In these, people were given warning and then a way out of the coming disaster that would mean dying: the ARK - (in the case of the flood); the blood of the lamb on the doorpost (in the case of the Destroyer passing over Egypt).

Peace again to you!

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Menotu wrote: It's been said throughout history (and even in modern times) that things that appear natural have been God's retribution over certain people and cultures.
Katrina was suggest, by one of God's BFFs (Hagee, Joyner, Leiter, Robertson), to be punishment on the city for its 'gayness'.

Being that COVID19 seems to be more dangerous to older people which tend more often than not to be Trump supporters (as well as the diabetic and those with hampered immune symptoms, but there is always collateral damage with God), is it possible that God sent this virus to eliminate these people who voted him in power and which, in turn, has caused such discourse in the world?
In 2016 Donald Trump was elected the 45th President of the U.S. Largely because white Christian conservatives were convinced by their priests and pastors that God wanted a thrice married admitted sexual predator to be president.

In 2018 Trump disbanded the U.S. pandemic response team, which had been specifically created to deal with pandemic threats such as COVID-19.

CORONAVIRUS (15 VIDEOS) CNN
Trump asked about disbanding pandemic office
Reporter Yamiche Alcindor presses President Trump about disbanding the pandemic response team on the National Security Council in light of the coronavirus outbreak in the US.

Snopes
Did Trump Administration Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?

TRUE
The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... emic-team/

Outlook
Perspective
I ran the White House pandemic office. Trump closed it.
By Beth Cameron
Beth Cameron is vice president for global biological policy and programs at the Nuclear Threat Initiative. She previously served as the senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council.
March 13, 2020 at 6:32 a.m. PDT

When President Trump took office in 2017, the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense survived the transition intact. Its mission was the same as when I was asked to lead the office, established after the Ebola epidemic of 2014: to do everything possible within the vast powers and resources of the U.S. government to prepare for the next disease outbreak and prevent it from becoming an epidemic or pandemic.

One year later, I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like covid-19.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html

Wikipedia
National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a government biodefense research laboratory created by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and located at the sprawling biodefense campus at Fort Detrick in Frederick, MD, USA. The NBACC (pronounced EN-back) is the principal U.S. biodefense research institution engaged in laboratory-based threat assessment and bioforensics. NBACC is an important part of the National Interagency Biodefense Campus (NIBC) also located at Fort Detrick for the US Army, National Institutes of Health and the US Department of Agriculture.

Threats to continued work *
Under President Trump's budget proposal for fiscal year 2018, the NBACC stands to lose funding that allows it to continue scientific studies. The NBACC is faced with the threat of Complete shutdown of its facilities by September 2018. Daniel M. Gerstein said the result of the closure of the NBACC would be a "potentially devastating public health concern." *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... res_Center

In 2020 God sent a pandemic as a message to white Christian conservatives.

(CNN)A pandemic is sweeping the globe. Schools are closing. Major sports leagues are suspended. The stock market has plunged into bear territory.

And, Donald Trump?

"No, I don't take responsibility at all," Trump responded when asked if he took responsibility for the lag in necessary coronavirus testing while speaking to reporters gathered in the Rose Garden to hear his declaration of a national emergency to combat the virus.

Which sums up his response to this crisis well. And, in fact, is actually a pretty nice summation of his approach to the presidency.

Call it the Michael Scott strategy of management. "I do want the credit, without any of the blame," the boss of the fictional paper company tells his employees in one episode of "The Office."

It's a remarkable thing for a President to say -- ever. But especially in the midst of a historic public health crisis defined, at least in this country, by an inability of people who need to be tested for coronavirus to get tested.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics ... index.html

Or, maybe there is no God, and things have turned out this way because the buffoons are currently in charge.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 4 by Tired of the Nonsense]
Or, maybe there is no God, and things have turned out this way because the buffoons are currently in charge.
Maybe
I wonder if anyone in Jesus' day thought the same things about all the political issues they were having with a hippie-like youngster running around causing trouble?

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 5 by Menotu]

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Christ was not causing political issues.

Peace again to you.

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

tam wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Menotu]

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Christ was not causing political issues.

Peace again to you.
You are wrong despite your ambiguous reference.

https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/ ... -jesus-did

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/arti ... -of-jesus/

https://lifehopeandtruth.com/god/who-is ... -of-jesus/

His teaching did, and does, impact politics
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3136607?se ... b_contents

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 7 by Menotu]

But He was not running around causing trouble with political issues. Just because people use (and misuse) His words for their politics today (which I do not deny) does not mean that He was running around causing trouble in that arena. He did not call for anyone to rebel against Rome; He did not rebel against taxes or permit His followers to fight against His arrest; against Rome. He avoided situations where the people would have tried to make Him king by force, and He specifically said to Pilate that His kingdom was not of this world.

Peace again to you.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Menotu wrote: It's been said throughout history (and even in modern times) that things that appear natural have been God's retribution over certain people and cultures.
The problem is that in order to believe this we have no choice but to believe that this God is such an idiot that he can never solve any of his problems intelligently.

To believe in these kind of "God theories" we need to believe that God has the mentality of an uneducated barroom drunkard who has a seriously limited IQ.

Why religious people insist on support the idea that their God is this stupid is beyond me.

If I was out to solve a problem I would use such useless diabolical means.

Why in the world would I think that a God who is supposed to be infinitely smarter and more mature than myself stoop to such ignorant tactics? :-k

Christians are asking me to believe in a God who is extremely ignorant and inept when it comes to trying to communicate with humans and solve problems.

And the really strange thing about is that they can't seem to even understand why I dismiss such an ignorant theology. They act like as if it supposedly makes sense. I just can't understand how they can think that way.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

As an atheist, yes, absolutely.

Diseases that spread like wildfire are "punishment for" (here meaning, the logical result of) overpopulation.