Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

Is Yahweh a model God for today?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

“The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.� Tim Russert

I will debate on this thread, both the benefits and the necessity for us as a species on this earth to commit to a God based on the model that is the Hebrew God, Yahweh. We need Yahweh!

I welcome all contributions to this very broad subject.

Is Yahweh a model God for today?

Thomas123
Sage

Post #241

Post by Thomas123 »

[Replying to post 239 by Athetotheist]

I think that you suggest that I extract your argument from an analysis of your omissions. A tall order indeed. I am still struggling with your query about the Jesus figure's disregard for the relative value of sparrows. It is gratifying to see that others find amusement in our downward descent.

Here is a poignant story for all that I feel any inquiring mind will engage with.
What value this little fellow and his neighbouring cousins?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigues_starling

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #242

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote:I am still struggling with your query about the Jesus figure's disregard for the relative value of sparrows.
I believe it was you who expressed a belief in "the equality of life forms on earth" and that "nothing within the Yahweh creation is more or less". I wasn't making a query; my observation was that "the Jesus figure" doesn't seem to have taken that position himself, so I don't see how it can be gathered from the way he assessed the values of various life forms.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #243

Post by Purple Knight »

Athetotheist wrote:Are you saying that thrashing a woman for showing an ankle in public or banishing someone from your colony is moral as long as that's your only law?
I'm saying that if that's the only law, people can very well follow it. You can have harmony, even if you specifically don't call it a moral harmony.

If you have 2056 theocracies jostling for position and all trying to boil to the top amidst an atmosphere of supposed religious freedom, you can't have any harmony. Some people will do what offends the religion of others, and when the population reaches critical mass, they will start killing each other.

I'm saying that religious freedom logically doesn't work because it inherently tolerates, protects and elevates people who don't believe the 2055 other religions should have religious freedom.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #244

Post by Athetotheist »

Purple Knight wrote:I'm saying that religious freedom logically doesn't work because it inherently tolerates, protects and elevates people who don't believe the 2055 other religions should have religious freedom.
That's what theocracy does. Secular government which keeps itself and religion separate is the only remedy.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #245

Post by Thomas123 »

Secular and quasi-secular government versus a theistic model for civil law is an exasperating subject that is as long as a piece of string. I always imagine the prophetic musings of the Jesus figure on this subject as he allegedly scribbled for an answer in the dust. In the end he made up an answer by declaring that we should give on to Caesar, that which is his.

There is an exasperation that is inbuilt into civil stability platforms for a moral mandate that is reflective of true Yahweh worship. A history of this worship will tell you that it is a form of 'active learning' where we have excelled at doing badly.
The real frustration for the human prophet Jesus is that this conundrum impedes his vision of a glorious Kingdom of God on this Earth. Why did he not simply advocate that the pagan roman model was fit for civil control matters. The answer was that he regarded it as deeply flawed in its modus. When a country votes for a proposal to build a wall around itself to keep out the deprivation and trespasses of their neighbour ,I feel that the secular model of nationhood is still as flawed as it was then.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #246

Post by Thomas123 »

Today is Monday April 6th 2020.

The American President asks all Americans to pray for a speedy recovery for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The Queen's speech was broadcast on most of the media platforms around the world. This human figure, the legacy of a tyrannical past, was used to offer leadership and resolve to all people in these testing, war-like times. Her loyal followers use the 'God save the Queen' refrain to express their esteem for this wonderful lady.

Let's face it, when you want to dig yourself out of a hole, you will seek fortitude and help wherever it presents itself. Abraham used the deception of calling his wife his sister to avoid certain death. Adam blamed Eve, Cain jumped into the realms of desperation that inexcusable action displays in times of complete human bewilderment. It made moral sense to obliterate two Japanese cities within the logic of crisis.
Yahweh will let you run with these projects until they reach their inevitability. We simply need to look at the creator God more closely and extract wisdom and reference from that observation.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #247

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: Today is Monday April 6th 2020.

The American President asks all Americans to pray for a speedy recovery for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The Queen's speech was broadcast on most of the media platforms around the world. This human figure, the legacy of a tyrannical past, was used to offer leadership and resolve to all people in these testing, war-like times. Her loyal followers use the 'God save the Queen' refrain to express their esteem for this wonderful lady.

Let's face it, when you want to dig yourself out of a hole, you will seek fortitude and help wherever it presents itself. Abraham used the deception of calling his wife his sister to avoid certain death. Adam blamed Eve, Cain jumped into the realms of desperation that inexcusable action displays in times of complete human bewilderment. It made moral sense to obliterate two Japanese cities within the logic of crisis.
Yahweh will let you run with these projects until they reach their inevitability. We simply need to look at the creator God more closely and extract wisdom and reference from that observation.
I'm not trying to be facetious, but have you ever read anything other than the Bible? There's SO much more to humankind's outlook on the universe than that.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #248

Post by Thomas123 »

[Replying to post 246 by Athetotheist]

Sorry Athetotheist but I am supporting the Opening Post on a thread that I started. I undertook this task and declared my intention from the start. What has me currently musing over, quasi-secular state models is a lingering bewilderment regarding this recent assertion of yours.

Athetotheist: That's what theocracy does. Secular government which keeps itself and religion separate is the only remedy.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #249

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: [Replying to post 246 by Athetotheist]

Sorry Athetotheist but I am supporting the Opening Post on a thread that I started. I undertook this task and declared my intention from the start. What has me currently musing over, quasi-secular state models is a lingering bewilderment regarding this recent assertion of yours.

Athetotheist: That's what theocracy does. Secular government which keeps itself and religion separate is the only remedy.
.....a remedy which works far better than any theocratic god model.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #250

Post by Thomas123 »

Athetotheist: Secular government which keeps itself and religion separate is the only remedy.....a remedy which works far better than any theocratic god model.

If a ,secular law,/country has a significant religious base within it, then what you get is a fudge that suits neither the aspirations of theism ,generally, nor the fundamental human requirement of an effective morality. Is a strong U.S. good for the world. Is a strong China good for the world. Is a strong ......what we get here are marriages of convenience and endless bouts of divorce acrimony.
The Jesus figure's Yahweh model is stateless in its essence. It is the raising agent in dough. The seed that grows unknown to us. It has a single and unchanging reference which is the Creator God Yahweh, as displayed in our created world. It is not a vested interest to be manipulated.
The frictions and inconsistencies that display themselves amongst our versions of secular and quasi secular administration are an obvious indicator that the Jesus agenda is stalled and idle at present.

The fudge that is a modern secular model today enshrines greed and infancy in the pampered primate to the detriment of all our common good. It is easily sabotaged by our baser motivations and it is as persuasive as a narcotics dependency.
Last edited by Thomas123 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.