Jesus wasn't an offspring of David, was he?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Jesus wasn't an offspring of David, was he?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

"There is no evidence that Mary was a descendant of David, but Dennis McKinsey, the editor of Biblical Errancy [2], points out there is some evidence that she was a member of a completely separate line, a descendant of Levi, the great-grandfather of Aaron and Moses. That evidence comes from the pen of Luke, who wrote that Elisabeth, who was a daughter of Aaron, was the cousin of Mary."

Luke describes Mary Elizabeth as "a daughter of Aaron" And a cousin to Mary. Not Davidic!

If Mary did not have Davidic blood, Jesus didn't either. There goes the Messiah claim!

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus wasn't an offspring of David, was he?

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Call me dull-headed, but I don't see why Elizabeth being of the tribe of Levi negates Mary from being of the tribe of Judah. It looks to me like Jesus was "from the seed of David according to the flesh."

polonius
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Call me dull-headed, but I don't see why Elizabeth being of the tribe of Levi negates Mary from being of the tribe of Judah. It looks to me like Jesus was "from the seed of David according to the flesh."

RESPONSE: The word is "cousin" or more specifically "blood relative."

The Tribe of Levi was a different tribe (or blood) than the Tribe of David from which the Messiah was to come.

Conclusion: Jesus was not a descendent of David and hence could not be the Messiah.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

OP, they knew their genealogy back then. It was recorded and memorized. So, if Jesus' claim was false, that would have stopped the whole movement, right then.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

polonius wrote:

The Tribe of Levi was a different tribe (or blood) than the Tribe of David from which the Messiah was to come.

Conclusion: Jesus was not a descendent of David and hence could not be the Messiah.
They could be blood relatives and yet be from different tribes.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote:
polonius wrote:

They could be blood relatives and yet be from different tribes.

I'm afraid not.

NOUN
blood relative (noun)
a person related to another by birth rather than by marriage.

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

brianbbs67 wrote: OP, they knew their genealogy back then. It was recorded and memorized. So, if Jesus' claim was false, that would have stopped the whole movement, right then.
Or, people could have perpetuated (aka lie) about it to support their own means.
But surely that didn't happen because it's not recorded in the bible and people wouldn't lie about such a thing :shock:

bjs
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by bjs »

It is the fallacious reasoning to believe Luke when he writes that Elizabeth was descended from Aaron, but not believe Luke when he write that Jesus was descended from David.

There was been lots of intermarriage among the tribes after the exile, and by Jesus day it was common place for relatives to be from different tribes.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

RESPONSE: Unless Joseph was Jesus' biological father, no. Keep in mind also, that inheritance passed solely along male lines. (Man provided the seed. Women only provided nourishment if she were fertile, or not if she was "barren.")

polonius
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by polonius »

brianbbs67 wrote: OP, they knew their genealogy back then. It was recorded and memorized. So, if Jesus' claim was false, that would have stopped the whole movement, right then.
RESPONSE: The New Testament does not list Joseph as Jesus' biological father.

Also keep in mind that the four gospels were only written between 70 and 95 AD by non-witnesses