If God wouldn't have existed

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

If God wouldn't have existed

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

Is it not possible that people created God? It seems rather easy given the course of time that people would have created God.
This and the fact that people have created a myriad of gods (some supreme deities and some objects).

So is it not possible people created God?
Is it not probably that people created God?

Or is there irrefutable proof that God is real that can be provided here for all to see and set the idea of 'people creating God' to bed?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: If God wouldn't have existed

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: Reason why I say atheists don’t understand is that they claim Bible is contradictory, or has mistakes, but have not really proven it is so.
When shown obvious contradictions, Apologists tend to cover their eyes and ears and proclaim it isn't contradictory to say 'yes' in one place and 'no' in another. Here is an example.

“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.� — Genesis 32:30
“No man hath seen God at any time…�– John 1:18

Kindly show us how there is no contradiction in those statements.
1213 wrote: Do you know any atheist who says Bible doesn’t have mistakes, or Bible is not contradictory?
Why would an Atheist be inclined to make such a false statement?

It is understandable that an Apologist would say such a thing in attempting to defend a flawed work that they revere. However, those who do not attempt to defend the Bible have no reason make such claim.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Purple Knight »

Zzyzx wrote:“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.� — Genesis 32:30

It was only God's face, not his entire body, and he was wearing a mask of himself.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by bjs »

Difflugia wrote:
bjs wrote:As a species we universally seek God.
No, as a species we universally fear snakes and things that go bump in the night.
This is not true. Fear of snakes is not universal. Not every culture in history knew what snakes were.

Every culture has sought God in one way or another.

Difflugia wrote:
bjs wrote:Belief in a God of some kind is virtually the only constant that is not biologically necessary for the survival of the species and yet -found in every known civilization throughout history and across the globe.
You've turned the whole thing into question-begging.
Quite the reverse: The first post started with an assumption and attempted to justify it. I started with the evidence and considered where that should lead us.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by bjs »

brunumb wrote: [Replying to post 3 by bjs]
Or dose the fact that people universally seek God in some form reveal that there is a God who has designed us with the desire to know Him?
No. Our survival has always depended on knowledge so people universally seek answers to questions of the unknown. God is nothing more than an invented answer. Some people are readily satisfied with facile solutions such as 'God-did-it', but in reality God answers nothing at all. Every attribute that gods have accumulated were provided by the human imagination and no god has ever demonstrated a single one of them, except maybe invisibility.
You are absolutely free to believe this. However, at this point it is only a statement of faith from you. You have not given us any reason or evidence to suggest that it is true.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by bjs »

bluegreenearth wrote:
bjs wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

As a species we universally seek God. Belief in a God of some kind is virtually the only constant that is not biologically necessary for the survival of the species and yet found in every known civilization throughout history and across the globe.
If someone were to explain how your comments above are misleading and inaccurate, would you discontinue asserting them to other people?
Absolutely. If you are able to do so – and address what I actually wrote with reason or evidence – then please do so.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Difflugia »

bjs wrote:
Difflugia wrote:No, as a species we universally fear snakes and things that go bump in the night.
This is not true. Fear of snakes is not universal. Not every culture in history knew what snakes were.
Yes it is. That the fear is innate is independent of acquired culture.
bjs wrote:Every culture has sought God in one way or another.
Only if you cast your net wide enough by defining "God" to also include "things that are not God" like animistic assumptions that animals, trees, and the wind act with agency toward humans.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

bjs wrote:
I've already shown that this isn't true. Perhaps you overlooked it:
  • Atheism has been part of many Asian traditions for millennia

To many, atheism – the lack of belief in a personal god or gods - may appear an entirely modern concept. After all, it would seem that it is religious traditions that have dominated the world since the beginning of recorded history.

As a scholar of Asian religions, however, I’m often struck by the prevalence of atheism and agnosticism - the view that it is impossible to know whether a god exists - in ancient Asian texts. Atheistic traditions have played a significant part in Asian cultures for millennia.

https://theconversation.com/atheism-has ... nia-113535

<bolding mine>
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by bjs »

Tcg wrote:
bjs wrote:
I've already shown that this isn't true.
You have not. You claimed that there were atheists in the ancient world, specifically in Asia. That is true. However, that does not change the fact that every culture in history – including cultures that had some atheists in them – has sought God in some way.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by bjs »

Difflugia wrote:
bjs wrote:
Difflugia wrote:No, as a species we universally fear snakes and things that go bump in the night.
Yes it is. That the fear is innate is independent of acquired culture.
bjs wrote:Every culture has sought God in one way or another.
Only if you cast your net wide enough by defining "God" to also include "things that are not God" like animistic assumptions that animals, trees, and the wind act with agency toward humans.
Even the study you cited – which itself still says that it is talking about a “hypothetical mechanism� – required the infant to be introduced to snake before it experience fear. There have existed societies in history that never feared snakes because they never interacted with snakes. There is no culture in history that did not seek God. Also, pantheism is far more sophisticated than I think you are giving it credit for.

Savant

Post #30

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: …“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.� — Genesis 32:30

….
Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for, he said, "I have seen God [=elohiym] face to face, and my life is preserved."
Gen. 32:30

No one has seen God [=theos] at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.
John 1:18

Meaning of the word elohiym or theos is a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities. Elohiym can be translated also to mean rulers, judges, divine ones or angels.

Now, to understand what Gen. 32:30 is telling, it would be good to look the whole text and notice:

The man said, "Let me go, for the day breaks." Jacob said, "I won't let you go, unless you bless me."
Gen. 32:26

So, Jacob wrestled with a man, not with the one and only true God. Therefore, no contradiction, or mistake in the Bible.